Am I right in thinking the smaller you are the harder it is to loose weight?

Options
Im 4'11 in height and currently weigh 147 lbs so I'm quite petite, however I just don't seem to be shifting the weight, I work out at least 5x a weeks for 30 minutes minimum burning max 300 calories but I can't seem to shift my weight, I genuinely eat quite well, low carbs, low sugars so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Smaller as in short? No. Smaller as in leaner? Yes.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes. The smaller you are, the fewer calories you require for maintenance. In order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat, but the general rule is to not eat fewer than 1200 a day. So, for someone who already requires few maintenance calories, it can be very difficult to create a deficit. That is why weight loss is typically much slower for those individuals.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In general, your current weight, your height, your age and your gender will decide what your baseline calorie requirement is. So a 6ft male will have a larger calorie burn than a 4ft female. Whether this makes it harder for the 4ft female to lose weight is debatable, she just has less calories to play with.

To lose weight you need to create a deficit in calories.

You don't mention calories.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Bigger bodies with more muscle tend to burn more calories at rest, so in that way it makes it easier to obtain a deficit. However, you mention eating low carb, low sugars, but don't mention calories. It is good to eat healthy, but for losing weight, calories are the only thing that are going to matter. Too much healthy food is going to keep the weight on. You may lose weight slower, but you can still lose.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

As someone who is short I'd have to disagree with this. Now I am at my goal weight my BMR is 1100ish calories and my NEAT is only 1375ish. Imagine how little you can eat without eating to lose quicker than a pound a month. Now try and fit all your micronutrients into the equation. Now see if there are any calories left over for treats.

It is possible to lose weight. I have done it. It can just be very slow going without decent exercise to enable a reasonable deficit and still eat at 1200. Helpful hint. Don't eat back all of your exercise calories. I never ate more than half. This is the only way I managed a reasonable deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    greenzgal wrote: »
    Im 4'11 in height and currently weigh 147 lbs so I'm quite petite, however I just don't seem to be shifting the weight, I work out at least 5x a weeks for 30 minutes minimum burning max 300 calories but I can't seem to shift my weight, I genuinely eat quite well, low carbs, low sugars so I'm not sure what else I can do.

I say no, weight loss is not more difficult at a lower weight but accuracy is more important. How many calories per day do you eat? For being petite, you will need to be very accurate and probably consume 1300-1500 per day for a slow rate of loss. Food scale for everything. Make your calories count. Lots of veggies, lean meat. High fiber, some healthy fats to help you feel full.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Smaller people also don't burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. OP I don't know what kind of work out you are doing for 30 min, but it's highly unlikely you are burning up to 300 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends if you are thinking in terms of percentages or pounds.
    1% of a 100lb person is only a pound.
    1% of a 200lb person is two pounds.

So is it twice as hard or just the same and you need to adjust your expectations to match your size?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

As someone who is short I'd have to disagree with this. Now I am at my goal weight my BMR is 1100ish calories and my NEAT is only 1375ish. Imagine how little you can eat without eating to lose quicker than a pound a month. Now try and fit all your micronutrients into the equation. Now see if there are any calories left over for treats.

It is possible to lose weight. I have done it. It can just be very slow going without decent exercise to enable a reasonable deficit and still eat at 1200. Helpful hint. Don't eat back all of your exercise calories. I never ate more than half. This is the only way I managed a reasonable deficit.

Why do you have to eat at 1200?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You definitely get less calories to play with at a shorter height.

I ran your stats through a TDEE calculator (http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/) and your sedentary TDEE is 1550 calories. That means just by sitting on the couch (or at a desk) all day with minimal activity, your body burns 1500 calories over a 24 hour period.

So to lose a pound a week, you need a 500 calorie daily deficit. That would put you at only 1000 net calories a day! Most people recommend eating above 1200 calories a day to make sure your body has all the nutrients it needs. So if you eat 1200 calories a day, that will allow you to lose a bit more than 1/2 a pound per week.

Tracking your calorie intake accurately is key - weigh your food with a digital kitchen scale and track all your liquids too. Also keep in mind that calculating calories burned from exercise can be tricky - gym machines often exaggerate that number. A lot of people recommend only eating back half of the calories you think you burned.

Good luck!
  • greenzgal
    greenzgal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »
    Yes. The smaller you are, the fewer calories you require for maintenance. In order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat, but the general rule is to not eat fewer than 1200 a day. So, for someone who already requires few maintenance calories, it can be very difficult to create a deficit. That is why weight loss is typically much slower for those individuals.

• greenzgal
    Options
    Sorry guys I should've mentioned my calories allowed per day is 1200 however I often only eat about 800 of that. It is virtually impossible for me to burn more calories than I eat in a day. I also calorie count everything.
  • greenzgal
    Options

That's just it as well I never eat my exercise calories I see that as my achievement.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Well, you're eating more than you think. And, all other things equal, it definitely requires less calories for a shorter person to lose/maintain than a taller person.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sorry guys I should've mentioned my calories allowed per day is 1200 however I often only eat about 800 of that. It is virtually impossible for me to burn more calories than I eat in a day. I also calorie count everything.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lioness803 wrote: »

Then you're eating too little. Eating that low for a period of time will cause health problems. Also, MFP is designed for you to eat exercise calories back.

If she isn't losing weight she is not eating too little...*sighs*
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    lioness803 wrote: »

Then you're eating too little. Eating that low for a period of time will cause health problems. Also, MFP is designed for you to eat exercise calories back.

If she isn't losing weight she is not eating too little...*sighs*

Sorry, you're right. I got distracted and forgot her original post. Inaccurate logging is her problem most likely (but if she is only trying to get 800, that would be a problem also.)
  • sarahpro85
    sarahpro85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I am 4'11 but weigh 158. You have to give it time! Do lots of HIIT but also incorporate lifting, thats helped a lot. Also, I do intermittent fasting and that also has been helping.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 200.6. But six months ago, it was 254. I've been doing mostly long walks and fitness glider, with some resistance tubes for strength training. Just bought a couple of dumbbells yesterday.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

bad idea.

You have a calorie allowance that helps you live. It helps your organs survive, and it feeds your brain. Your brain gets hungry. Your brain needs nutrients and eating 800 net won't give them to it. You do not have to burn all the calories you eat by exercising - don't forget the body burns calories by existing, without your help.

I started at your stats. I set myself a NET target of 1500 calories a day. I accepted that being short I'd lose very slowly, and I have. It's probably taken me about a year to lose 20lbs but I'm fine with that. I've taken up running, and it's changed my shape. I feel fitter, I look better, my clothes fit better. And I don't starve myself. I've slowed my weight loss down more than it needs to, because, well, now and then (too often), I go over my target.

you have to be precise with logging, but it WILL work.