first week done! should I adjust?

Options
just a real quick post to say my first week is done! After years of eating everything in sight I have done one week of tracking cals etc. Supposedly getting started is the hardest part. I started off easy and Im barely touching the accelerator so I have left myself plenty of room to improve. I basically "started where I was" by still eating basically the same foods but more or less doing IIFYM and I havent really added any exercise yet.

SOOO, the question is, should I adjust anything at this point.

here is why i ask.

4/16 258
4/17 255
4/18 254.4
4/19 252.8 life is good!
4/20 254
4/21 254.2
4/22 254.2
4/23 254
4/24 255 life sux

So overall I lost 3 lbs first week. I assume the advice would be to just hold steady? Obviously one can see that I lost those 3lbs the first day (water weight?) and from that point on I pretty much stayed around 254 and alas, 255 the last day

admittedly my scale SUCKS and my new one isnt in yet. On my current one u weigh 5 times u get 5 different answers and u just guess somewhere in the middle

Im doing 2000 cals/day and pretty much was on point every day or went over maybe 100 on a couple days or under 50 on other days

Should I just stay right at 2000 and hope for the best??

Thanks, JonJon

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Can you post your stats ? It will help people give more specific advice for you. Like the other posters said, you do need to give any program time. I would say choose something sustainable, do it for three weeks and then reassess. But if you can let us know your weight/height/goal/activity level then people can provide a bit more guidance.

Good luck!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Your first couple of weeks is going to be wonky. Often, people lose a bunch of water weight (but not always) so it's hard to judge whether you need adjusting yet. Just keep following what MFP tells you to do and in a few more weeks you can revisit if you need to readjust anything.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    jusjoking wrote: »
    just a real quick post to say my first week is done! After years of eating everything in sight I have done one week of tracking cals etc. Supposedly getting started is the hardest part. I started off easy and Im barely touching the accelerator so I have left myself plenty of room to improve. I basically "started where I was" by still eating basically the same foods but more or less doing IIFYM and I havent really added any exercise yet.

SOOO, the question is, should I adjust anything at this point.

here is why i ask.

4/16 258
    4/17 255
    4/18 254.4
    4/19 252.8 life is good!
    4/20 254
    4/21 254.2
    4/22 254.2
    4/23 254
    4/24 255 life sux

So overall I lost 3 lbs first week. I assume the advice would be to just hold steady? Obviously one can see that I lost those 3lbs the first day (water weight?) and from that point on I pretty much stayed around 254 and alas, 255 the last day

admittedly my scale SUCKS and my new one isnt in yet. On my current one u weigh 5 times u get 5 different answers and u just guess somewhere in the middle

Im doing 2000 cals/day and pretty much was on point every day or went over maybe 100 on a couple days or under 50 on other days

Should I just stay right at 2000 and hope for the best??

Thanks, JonJon

There is nothing out of the ordinary between your "life is good!" and "life sux" days! It's not linear and the scale will lie to you. You need time to establish a trend.

Do what you are doing for now. You need 4-6 weeks to really have a good idea. You will have days in that time where you will spike up a little. (You will vary by 3-4 pounds or more in the same day!).

For now, work the process.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Can you post your stats ? It will help people give more specific advice for you. Like the other posters said, you do need to give any program time. I would say choose something sustainable, do it for three weeks and then reassess. But if you can let us know your weight/height/goal/activity level then people can provide a bit more guidance.

Good luck!

This was what I posted my first day here:

5'8" male, 49 yo, 255lbs

plug it into a BMR calculator and get around 2000 cals

currently I work 4 days per week. I drive a stand up forklift so this involves standing on my feet for about 9 hrs per workday and at the end of that day I am totally shot so there are x amount of calories being burned. In general I walk either 1x or 2x per week for about an hour.

If I plug that into "lightly active" it comes to about 2750 to maintain

Thats how I came to decide on 2000 cals per day

I think ill just hold steady and see how it goes
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jusjoking wrote: »
    I think ill just hold steady and see how it goes

I think this is a good plan.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks! Are you plugging your daily weights into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra? If not, I'd highly recommend it. Smooths out some of those 'life sux' moments :smile:
  • jusjoking
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Give it a few weeks! Are you plugging your daily weights into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra? If not, I'd highly recommend it. Smooths out some of those 'life sux' moments :smile:

nah, I dont have a fancy wifi scale and I dont want to get bogged down with too much tracking. Complexity has killed me before. If it aint simple and fast it aint getting done

of course MFP does have the basic "report" where I can see a graph and get an idea of whats what.

I was half joking with the 'life sux" comment.

Its actually amazing that im finally doing something with my diet/weight

if I ever actually show abs again...omg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have a wifi scale either. I just weigh in the morning and record that weight in the Libra app. I only record my weight here once a week. Definitely keep it down to what works for you! Here's what my Libra graph looks like, for reference.
    dwcrkw1z0v1w.jpg
  • jusjoking
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I don't have a wifi scale either. I just weigh in the morning and record that weight in the Libra app. I only record my weight here once a week. Definitely keep it down to what works for you! Here's what my Libra graph looks like, for reference.
    dwcrkw1z0v1w.jpg

i might check that out
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Libra for android; happy scale for iphone; trendweight.com with free fitbit.com account for data entry, pushing automagically to both trendweight and MFP; weighgrapher.com for manual entry.

If you're trying to keep it simple... log consistently for 3-4 weeks. Check out your trending results over time. Adjust *a little bit* based on results.

lather, rince, repeat
  • jusjoking
    Options
    yeah, I like it

0xgdtjfmaits.png