Do you tell people what you are good at?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Are you someone who broadcasts your strong points to the world, or are you are reserved and are slightly embarrassed about the things you are really good at?

Do you think the people who like telling others about the things they do well are actually any better at those things than the ones who prefer to keep quiet?

Being very British, I find boasting a bit cringey, but I am aware that's a cultural thing! I am bred to be understated!

Replies

• JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't. I usually let what ever I'm good at show for itself. I tend to find people who constantly talk about the things they're good at to be annoying. It's like they're looking for some sort of acknowledgement.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm very reserved
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I am not reserved,but at the same time im not much for bradding about what im good at
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm more reserved. I let my actions do the talking. :smile:
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I rarely tell folks what I'm good at. If someone expresses doubt as to whether I am capable of something, THEN I'll tell them as nicely as possible--"Relax, this is something I am really good at. You may not have known this because you've never seen me do it (or plan it or whatever) but it will be great!"

Other than that, I like to surprise folks who don't expect much and then are bowled over by what I can do. I'm not the type of person who needs to brag, I just let the results show what I did.

I'm with Joebarrett---Folks who constantly brag about how good they are at things, how they have such good taste, etc., are annoying. 8)
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I share what I'm good at! You may need my skills or talents, or know someone who does. I dd the shrink in the background thing for most of my life, but that didnt truly SATISFY my inner self. I was built with many gifts and as I discover and perfect them, shrinking just loses its appeal more and more. I feel like a beautiful flower, emerging to kiss the sun. I dont want to peck the sun, I want a full FRONTAL EMBRACE!!! :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I hate to draw attention to myself. If anyone compliments me, I usually make a self-deprecating joke and change the subject. (that drives my husband crazy!). I think there are probably some things I'm good at, but you'll never hear me boasting about them. :-)
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It seems like when someone constantly talks about being good at something they aren't as good as they say. That's what I've noticed anyway. For example, when I was in high school I played guitar and I went and played with as many people as I could. I noticed that the people who always talked about their "awesome" guitar skills weren't that good and the people who barely talked about playing were the best. I'm sure this applies to other things as well.

I don't go around telling people what I'm good at because just because I think I'm good at it doesn't mean that I actually am lol. I let people judge for themselves.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Reserved. I really don't like to explain things about myself. I feel weird. I'd rather someone got to know me.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Unless I'm in an interview than no. I prefer to let my work speak for itself although I think there's nothing wrong with sharing what you're good at. If someone boasts too much it makes me wonder why and what they're so insecure about?
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm reserved... I don't exactly boast anything, if somebody asks I'll talk about whatever skills I have not that I can do much.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I hate to draw attention to myself. If anyone compliments me, I usually make a self-deprecating joke and change the subject. (that drives my husband crazy!). I think there are probably some things I'm good at, but you'll never hear me boasting about them. :-)

I do this I often have my other half tell me just to take the compliment.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless I know the person well, and even then, it depends on the person. It becomes difficult when my in-laws come over, as they're the most opinionated, negative people I've ever met, and they make it very difficult to keep my mouth shut. But I've learned they have blinders on and can't ever see another point of view, so it would be pointless to argue.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Praise myself. My grandmother was of British decent and always said to be modest, but my Mom said, "If you don't toot your own horn, someone will use it as a spitoon!"
    I tell my three daughters that their beauty is only exceeded by their modesty! hahaha
    We are the ladies most likely to yell Ta Da! when we do something we think needs recognition.
    I frequently tell my boss how lucky he is to have me and he believes it.
    We are lavish in our praise of others too. Nice blouse, good job, love your new hairdo, good idea, beautiful, you have real talent. People like to hear that you see them too.
  • luv2runsgf
    luv2runsgf Posts: 48
    Options
    It is completely situational for me - there are times when you have to get your skills out there and others when it is just bragging & obnoxious. Most of my (personal) friends have no idea of what I am good at professionally, at work people see the results which is good enough 99% of the time. Occasionally though professionally one has to blow ones own horn or get overlooked when opportunities arise.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I can shot gun a beer underwater.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I find that I brag more in the workplace than I do about my hobbies. If I am good at something, and no one knows about it, what good does that do? I only get assigned projects if I ask for them, and I only get promotions if I apply for them. If I sit quietly in a corner, I find that my entire career will consist of answering the phone and being "polite", which is not what I want to do with my life.

When it comes to my artwork, I don't like to brag, because then it opens me up to more criticism, and I'm not always ready for that. Same with exercise. I might brag that I actually went for a walk, but I never tell my friends how fast I went or how many miles, because I know that almost everyone can do better than whatever it was that I did. I'm just proud that I did it, rather than sitting on the couch.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I brag, I am confident enough to know my strengths and weaknesses.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm getting better at telling people my strengths as I get older.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's the part I hate about job interviews, is when they ask you what you are good at, or what your strong points are.