Share some exercises :D

Options
Does anyone have any websites, ideas, or suggestions of exercises that have worked the best? I have found a video from exercise tv that is walking. When you think walking, you wouldn't normally think it involves kicks, and squats, but this one does. I love it and it gets my heart rate really going. I am looking for things that maybe I can download to my computer to do in the comfort of my home. Exercises that are affective and work well. The reason I say at home because frankly its too hot here in florida during summer, plus I worry about getting out where too many people are :( One of those insecurities. So if anyone has any websites that might help me, please let me know. I would appreciate it greatly. Also, add me if you would like. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love self and fitness.com. They have printable workouts and virtual trainers.
  • mizzbrittz
    mizzbrittz Posts: 10
    Options
    If you can find a copy of beachbody's insanity workout, my most fit friends swear by it! I've tried it a few times and it's really kicked my *kitten*, plus bonus, you don't need resistance bands or dumbells, just yourself and some willpower to get it done!
  • xoannettejunexo
    Options
    I have wanted to try Insanity, that and Turbo fire. Seems like those programs have got to work.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    walking , dam fine workout :smile:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I've used this:
    Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

To go from the picture on the left, to the picture on the right...in less than four months.

7434194_5028.jpg7434194_9039.jpg

That's about 35lbs total...with no other programs (other than a week of P90x with too low of weight available lol).

Also, no traditional cardio =p.

And the final benifit...no gym, no weights, nothing but a pull up bar of ANY sort, some chairs and a table...and yourself =D.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, hula hoop, and mini trampoline. And an mp3 player. And like papastu said: walking, dam fine workout. XD
  • ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Beachbody programs...they're all effective. I'm doing P90 right now. As a fellow Floridian, I know what you mean about getting outside! It's brutal out there!!