jacklifts
jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
edited April 2017 in Recipes
Hi MFP chefs,
I tried to make a pancake like substance with the following ingredients

Sweet potato 200g
Greek yogurt 200g
Egg whites 100g

Blended everything together. It was ok, but didn't really set. It was more like a firm custard than a pancake. Any ideas to make this better, without flour, butter or sugar?

Thanks!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You can use a scoop of protein powder instead of flour.

I have done pancakes with just protein powder, an egg, some baking powder, and a shot of flavor/sweetness (vanilla extract, etc). The baking powder WILL fluff up the wet protein powder. In the case of your current recipe, I'd try adding protein powder and baking powder and removing or reducing sweet potato, as it tends to not get 'cakey' like greek yogurt will. but you'll have to experiment as you already are :)
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're including Greek yogurt? I think that may be messing with the texture. If you want dairy and some protein, you might consider using nonfat milk powder.

I can't promise the texture would be what you want, but you could try adding some almond meal, bean flour, or pureed cooked white beans as a binder. If it's too thick, you could add a little milk.

You didn't mention flavorings, but I think some cinnamon and nutmeg would be good to add.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The pancakes I make that are legit like pancakes feature greek yogurt, eggs, milk, and flour. I'd add some milk, and possibly something flour-like (oatmeal works well).
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Grate the raw sweet potato, add 2 tsp coconut flour, a pinch of baking powder, 2 egg whites, cinnamon and cook like a hasbrown
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If it's too runny increase the sweet potato or decrease the amount of yoghurt/egg white
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You cannot make pancakes with these ingredients. You can make some sort of fritter or hasbrown but not pancake. You need flour.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Grate the raw sweet potato, add 2 tsp coconut flour, a pinch of baking powder, 2 egg whites, cinnamon and cook like a hasbrown

That sounds nice!
  • debrapike1
    debrapike1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what about flax powder or xanthan gum would help thicken it and keep it together,this is what vegans use if a recipe is low in gluten
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Hi MFP chefs,
    I tried to make a pancake like substance with the following ingredients

Sweet potato 200g
    Greek yogurt 200g
    Egg whites 100g

Blended everything together. It was ok, but didn't really set. It was more like a firm custard than a pancake. Any ideas to make this better, without flour, butter or sugar?

Thanks!
    horridus
    Why turn a great treat into a horrid mess.
    I love pancakes o:)
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I also add 1 T coconut milk and spread on lightly greased parchment, bake at 375 for 15 minutes or so. Might increase temp last couple min.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What is your goal with this recipe? I'd personally just rather eat a roasted sweet potato and make a proper pancake if I wanted pancakes. :grimace:
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Maybe some almond flour, but it still just isn't going to be a pancake.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I found some baking with protein tips here. Never tried them but you might give it a whirl:
    https://tryabouttime.com/baking-with-whey-protein/

Edit, looks liking they are selling stuff but some of the tips may still be valid. Just to be clear I'm NOT endorsing anything.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting a lot lately with various things. Today I tried this one with some modifications. http://www.theslenderstudent.com/cinnamon-roll-protein-pancakes/

The mods were - 1) added more cinnamon; 2) i used the blender on the oats themselves first as this makes the blend work better (food processor would work too); 3)it helps to cut the banana up into slices before blending; 4)added a little baking power

A key I have learned in the last couple of weeks is that you have to be very careful to not overcook them otherwise they will severely dry out. To help on that front 1)make sure you non stick the pan; 2)make sure the pan is up to temp before you put the "batter" in; 3)put a little less batter than you want in the pan first, a few second later add more batter (helps to make them thicker in my experience as the batter then won't run as much). To give you a sense, each side cooked in less than 2 minutes for me.

Tomorrow i am trying

1/4 cup raw oats
    1/4 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup egg whites
    Vanilla to taste
    Cinnamon to taste
    Baking powder - dash