Just Curious

Options
How many calories should a typical meal have? Some of my meals are HUGE with calories and some are very low. I'm just trying to get a consistant amount. Please let me know.

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Each of my big meals have about 500 and my two snacks have between 150 and 200, but it all depends on how active you are. I do a lot of exercise, so I try and eat around 2000 calories a day.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I try to have 300-400 calories in each main meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) which leaves me a little room for snacks in the day. I'm currently on 1450 plus whatever exercise cals I work up so it's going pretty well for me. As I get smaller, I'm not sure what will happen - but I'm already starting to crave those fresh veggies in every meal, rather than filling up on carbs so hopefully I'll be able to keep it up when my calorie allowance drops.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi! On my 1200 calorie plan, I have (around) 200 for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 500 for supper and 200 for snacks... I do leave a deficit MOST days! lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many meals per day you have. And some people need more calories in the morning to get them going, while I am never hungry in the morning. I have heard people have had success with a higher calorie lunch with a lower calorie dinner. You have to figure out what works best for you. Hopefully, you'll get a lot of varying advice so you can make the best decision for yourself. I don't think there's a magic number that would work for everyone.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't know if there is a set number. I have been trying to eat 4 meals a day vs. 3. I usually try to take my allotted calories and divide them up over the 4 meals. Usually the last winds up being the largest though and I try and eat it at least 3 hours before I go to bed so that hopefully it is mostly digested.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I try to be consistent on a day to day basis, because consistency breeds habit.

This is what my typical day looks like:

Breakfast: 200
    Lunch: 400
    Snack: 100
    Dinner: 400
    Snack 100

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do 300-400 per meal and 100-200 per meal depending on my activity level and blood sugar levels
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think you have to learn what works best for you. Experiment with your food and calories. There is not perfect solution for everyone.

I like to spread the calories out. I usually have around 300 for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch, 400-500 for dinner and 100 for snacks.
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi! On my 1200 calorie plan, I have (around) 200 for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 500 for supper and 200 for snacks... I do leave a deficit MOST days! lol

Ditto, me too. I think why I do it is I exercise at night so I have the calories higher for dinner. Lunch and breakfast are "light" because all I'm doing is sitting at my job for 6 hours a day.
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Thanks so much! You guys are really helpful! Currently I'm on a 1850 calorie plan. I try to eat Breakfast, Am Snack, Lunch, PM Snack, Dinner (with dessert, when I'm being naughty LOL). Sometimes, the snacks and even lunch or dinner don't get in there, because I'm just not hungry. Also, I'm trying to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and finding it REALLY difficult most days. Any suggestions? I don't like the add in flavor things. Just FYI. :)
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think around 300 to 500 depending on how active you are
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My meals are usually between 250-400 calories, and I usually eat about 400-500 calories for snacks throughout the whole day...

You can check out my diary if you'd like!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I think you have to learn what works best for you. Experiment with your food and calories. There is not perfect solution for everyone.

I like to spread the calories out. I usually have around 300 for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch, 400-500 for dinner and 100 for snacks.

She makes a good point. I have found I am less hungry at breakfast, so I stay around 100-200, hungriest at dinner, so that is 300-400, etc.

Back on 1200 cals, I would eat a 100-200 cal lunch as well, which led to me oversnacking or being so hungry by dinner I would eat way too much at dinner / after dinner. When I upped cals and started eating a bigger lunch, I've been doing a lot better.

Just test things out till you find something that works.
  • JenFer5
    JenFer5 Posts: 25
    Options
    I just take my daily total and break it up evenly. I also leave some for snacks. So right now I aim for around 400 cal per meal and that leaves me about 400 calories for snacks...