Help please... open diary.

Options
I'm so confused. Could someone who knows what they are doing in regards to BMR and TDEE please take a look at my diary? It's open.
I'm 5'4", 41 years old,
Started at 245
Current 231
Goal 135. ( to lose 110 pounds)
I walk 4-5 miles at the park 6/7 mornings a week, moderate pace (heavy breathing & sweating) but the remainder of the day I do house chores/sit at desk.
I'd like to know how many calories I chould be eating to aggressively but safely lose weight.

Someone told me to set mfp to sedentary but I'm reading about BMR/TDEE and think they may be wrong. 1200-1400 seems like it's below even my BMR, right?
So confused. Please don't yell at me. I'm learning here and honestly asking for help.
Thank you and bless you in advance. ❤️

Replies

• Pretty_Little_Loser
    Pretty_Little_Loser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also... should or shouldn't I eat exercise calories back? If so, how many / what percentage should I eat back?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If your life outside of exercise is sitting, then a) set to sedentary and b) eat some additional for when you exercise and c) look for ways to increase activity in your day to day life.

The way MFP is designed to work is to start with a calorie goal assuming no exercise. Then to eat additional when you do exercise.
  • Pretty_Little_Loser
    Options
    Also I use a Fitbit Alta HR which tracks calories burned.
    And I measure/weigh everything.
    I'm not hungry at 1200 but I do feel like I've got major brain fog. Lol and very tired at night.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    /views profile and diary

You started at the beginning of the month, yes? That means you've lost 14 lbs. this month, or approximately 4 lbs./week. This is a lot of weight loss in a short period of time, relatively speaking. Most folks on the forums recommend 1 lb./week is healthy weight loss. (Though, remember your body doesn't follow a calendar; weight loss can come in fits and starts.)

I'm 5' 3", and at just over 200 lbs. MFP was having me eat a lot more than 1400 calories/day. (I don't remember exact figures, but I remember that.) So, if what you're doing is what MFP recommends (2,500-ish?), I'd stick with it.

Now, if you go more than a month without losing weight or size, that could be something to look at. But, right now, I'd say this is a great effort so far. :smile: Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I'm not hungry at 1200 but I do feel like I've got major brain fog. Lol and very tired at night.

Those could be indications you need to eat more...

IF you're using the Fitbit, then you should connect to MFP and you'll see calorie adjustments based on your actual activity. Don't need to log exercise even.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Measuring things in cups or portions (e.g. quarter of a pepper) is a lot less accurate than weighing everything in grams.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I looked at your log and for the past week, all but one day has had extra calories of 840-1300 left at the end of the day. This is potentially dangerous. It means you're achieving your desired deficit (not sure what your profile is set for, but I assume its 500-1000?) and going way beyond.

You will lose weight faster this way. But some of it will be lean muscle mass. You can also do damage to your organs (heart!) and suffer lack of energy. Do make an effort to eat more. I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving some Fitbit calories behind. Afterall you don't know how accurate it is, until you have a few months of data. (To see if you're losing faster or slower than Fitbit shows you should.) But leaving so much on a regular basis could have bad results.

Try having slightly larger portions at each meal. Add in some full fat dairy. Eat some nuts. Cook with olive oil. Just some ideas.
  • Pretty_Little_Loser
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I do have my Fitbit connected to mfp. It is the thing that is logging "exercise calories".
    The quick weight loss the first 2 weeks was mostly water weight. That usually happens when I start exercising/calorie counting like that.

I weigh everything I can in grams. Liquids I weigh in ounces or measure if ounces not available.
    Things like a yellow pepper at <20 calories can be estimated when grams are not available. I'm not worried about 5 calories of pepper when I'm eating only 1200-1400 calories a day while being accurate with everything else.

@ Staci. Thank you! Someone had told me NOT to eat exercise calories
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    It really depends on the situation... For someone who is aiming for a 1 pound per week loss and is estimating their portions: they could easily be eating more than they think and/or have a moderate weight loss goal anyhow so burning a few hundred extra won't hurt.

But if you are eating 1200 and you are actually burning 3000-4000 per day, that is a lot of stress and potential damage to your body.

@ Staci. Thank you! Someone had told me NOT to eat exercise calories

• Pretty_Little_Loser
    Options
    I have no idea why it cut my typing off Staci. I had gone on to say that it was stupid of me to listen to that person and I would start eating back some of my exercise calories.
    How weird that it cut off like an entire paragraph! Sorry!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If you try to post a smiley from your phone it cuts off there. You have to use the coded smileys :)
  • Pretty_Little_Loser
    Options
    Thanks pinuplove!!!! (Love your avi btw). Lol
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • Pretty_Little_Loser
    Options
    Thanks CEC but I am not concerned about losing weight right now I'm concerned about making sure I am eating enough calories and setting the appropriate number of calories as a base