Am I right in thinking the smaller you are the harder it is to loose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to review your logging. I suspect there are some errors there.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    greenzgal wrote: »
    Sorry guys I should've mentioned my calories allowed per day is 1200 however I often only eat about 800 of that. It is virtually impossible for me to burn more calories than I eat in a day. I also calorie count everything.

To clarify, I didn't mean that you need to burn more calories through exercise than you are eating. As others mentioned, you burn calories just by being alive. It's the overall totals that matter. If your BMR is 1500 and you eat 1200, you are already burning more than you eat even before adding in any exercise.

Edited to add:
    If you are truly eating only 800 calories and exercising to burn another 300, that means you are only getting 500 calories a day. In that case, you will definitely lose weight, but I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it that way.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Im 4'11 in height and currently weigh 147 lbs so I'm quite petite, however I just don't seem to be shifting the weight, I work out at least 5x a weeks for 30 minutes minimum burning max 300 calories but I can't seem to shift my weight, I genuinely eat quite well, low carbs, low sugars so I'm not sure what else I can do.
    Sorry guys I should've mentioned my calories allowed per day is 1200 however I often only eat about 800 of that. It is virtually impossible for me to burn more calories than I eat in a day. I also calorie count everything.

Several things:

-At 4'11", 147 lbs, you're 2 lbs away from being obese class 1, so no, you're not small. The ones who find it harder to lose are those who are already on the low end of the normal bmi range. So when you get closer to 100 lbs, that's when you'll find it harder to lose.

-Low carb or low sugar doesn't mean anything as far as weight loss is concerned. If you're not losing, it's because your calories are equal to your maintenance. I eat high carb and I've been maintaining 120 +/-5 lbs for 2 years after losing 35 lbs. I'm 5'4" and eat anywhere from 1700-2200 and my diet is 75% carbs. But to lose and maintain, I needed/need to do 7-10 hrs of exercise/week. Mostly cardio.

-If you're struggling to lose weight, my advice is to increase your cardio to 1 hr/day and keep intensity as high as you can stomach. Next, to reduce your calories without reducing the volume of food you eat and therefore avoid struggles with hunger, you need to increase low calorie density foods like fruits, veggies, even starchy foods like potatoes and oats and beans are very filling without being high in calories. Reducing your use of added oils or fatty foods is an easy way to reduce calories without reducing volume.