Tuna every day?

Options
MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
I love tuna, avocado, and a hard boiled egg for lunch. I can literally eat this every day, but I can't find solid info on if it's ok or not. Some articles say yes and some say no. Some say there is a max mercury level your body will hold and expel the rest anyway.

I'm so sick of chicken. lol

Replies

• Timbur_Wolf
    Timbur_Wolf Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat it everyday too (I make a spicy tuna version, similar to what you might eat in a sushi roll) but, to my understanding it's okay, unless you're pregnant.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Mercury will not expel from your body, it binds to your brain and nervous system. Once you experience the side effects, you won't be able to reverse them.

I've read that in general women should have no more than 2 cans of tuna/week and men 3. This is of course all dependent on your height and weight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find any conclusive answer on it as well. I love homemade tuna cakes. I end up just playing it safe and alternate tuna with canned salmon or canned chicken.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why not rotate a variety of protein sources so that you don't burn out on one?

I typically alternate between tuna, canned salmon, chicken, and occasionally some lean beef or pork.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    they say that you should only eat high mercury fish - tuna, swordfish etc - about three times a month to keep your mercury levels down..

Didn't some guy in NYC stock up on tuna fish, eat it like three times a day, and after a month have serious mercury poisoning? I thought I saw that somewhere...

ETA - and why not mix it up with some chicken, turkey, etc...eating the same thing every day is going to get old, fast...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There's also sardines and mackerel that are tinned for quick and easy protein sources. But there are so many sources of protein it doesn't just have to be tuna and chicken.