HCG - What I don't understand

Options

Replies

• Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. As I say, it's not for me, but I am not going to judge others who have or do use it.

Good luck to everyone in their weight loss, gain or maintainance.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    *Shrugs* I have never even heard of it...lol.
  • DinaHCG
    DinaHCG Posts: 11
    Options
    One question for everyone...how many of you smoke???...be honest!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    What does smoking have to do with HCG? I do not smoke, though I used to years ago.
  • DinaHCG
    Options
    Just a point I was going to make. I have a few friends that were lecturing me about starting HCG. Those friends are smokers. I am NOT....

Smoking has many health documented risks...lung cancer, Emphysema, makes you age before your time, makes you stinky, not to mention the cost of them. ANd so much more.

How is putting those chemicals in your body ok!!!!?????
  • DinaHCG
    Options
    You know, people on all kinds of diets come here for help and support. Is it really necesssary to bash and degrade people for their choices?? Are we not all adults? Here for the same purpose?
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I just finished my first complete round (3 days loading, 37 days low calorie, 6 weeks adding food variety and calories). I've maintained my average weight 1 pound below my total loss from the VLCD (days) eating a normal, healthy diet and exercising for the past 6 weeks. Yes, 6 weeks is just six weeks but I have changes my whole attitude about food and what satisfies me.

You can read my blog entry to understand what prompted my decision and my diary is open for viewing. I've not been tracking calories during most of the maintenance period since the point is to eat and exercise and watch the scale for clues about what you are doing right and wrong. VLCD started around 1 May and maintenenance around 6 June--I logged the first 10 days of maintenance to ensure I was getting up to the right number of calories and then I went on vacation...then I felt comfortable about making the right decisions.

A VLCD is acutally not all that uncommon in the treatment of obesity--it is usually combined with appetite suppressants to make it tolerable.

Here are the three potential side effects that I considered the most when making my decision:

Gall Bladder Problems: More common in those that were already heavy and likely already had undiagnosed GB disease. The GB needs a certain amount of fat to operate properly. The 37 days with very low fat intake can exacerbate existing stones or cause their formation. This is a COMMON problem in all heavy people who make drastic changes to their diet....not particular to HCG. I've suffered for years with biliary colic--thin and thick--so I wasn't surprised when I had a couple of attacks. I fully suspect that my GB will be removed at sometime in the future.

Pulmonary Arryhtmias: can be imbalance electrolytes; again, also a risk with any heavy person who makes drastic changes to their diet; I had and EKG before starting and have always had excellent blood pressure so this wasn't such an issue to me

Rhabdomyolysis: release of muscle fibers into the bloodstream and can cause muscle damage; main reason that strenuous exercise is not recommended during VLCD without compensating for the exertion with extra calories; this also can be caused during crush injuries

I lost a bit over 30 pounds and 4 inches off my waist. I am not so many pounds away from getting rid of my CPAP machine. My cholesteral (which I worked for a year to get in a healthy range) dropped another 22 points--57 points total in the last year. I am in the loading phase of Round 2....VLCD starts on Tuesday.

YAY for you!!!!! Congrats on the informed decision and the weight loss!!!!!
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    You know, people on all kinds of diets come here for help and support. Is it really necesssary to bash and degrade people for their choices?? Are we not all adults? Here for the same purpose?

Your name is DinaHCG so it's pretty apparent where your support goes.

I also noticed my previous post was deleted by the mods. Go figure.

Yes, it is necessary to "bash" people for destroying their bodies over a fad diet. If I went into the exercise section and told people my new exercise involved chopping my arm off as a way to burn calories, should people support my decision? Of course not.

Eating 500kcal a day is a decision that doesn't belong on ANY website that supports health, diet, exercise, good decision making, support groups, etc. It belongs in an insane asylum. I don't care if you're injecting yourself with pregnant person hormones. It's absolutely INSANE to eat 500kcal a day and then claim it's healthy in any rational way. Of all the fad diets, this has to be the absolute worst idea I've ever heard in my life and I've heard of plenty of them.

Instead of the moderators deleting my posts that talk about HCG being dangerous they should make a sticky at the top that talks about the dangers of eating 500kcal a day.
  • DinaHCG
    Options
    I really don't think what I or anyone else does with their body is any of your business.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Whenever I am cruising through the Recent Posts for some newsie items, and I see the HCG thing pop up, I ALWAYS tune in just to see the bashing that is sure to follow. Somewhat like watching Hockey...Bahahaha....

Each to their own I say. Don't judge. Seriously. That is not what MFP is all about.
  • spenyweit
    spenyweit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Elfie9863...like your response. No judging. I appreciate the passion of the argument in each direction. Has anyone used HCG and last weight rapidly then had a lot of sagging skin? In addition to all of the side effects, I am concerned with how your body will look after losing 30 -40 lbs in 30 days. Can anyone be honest and say if they had those issues?
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    One question for everyone...how many of you smoke???...be honest!
    never smoked. lost 51lbs on hcg
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Elfie9863...like your response. No judging. I appreciate the passion of the argument in each direction. Has anyone used HCG and last weight rapidly then had a lot of sagging skin? In addition to all of the side effects, I am concerned with how your body will look after losing 30 -40 lbs in 30 days. Can anyone be honest and say if they had those issues?

I have some extra skin around my arms. But, I'm starting weight training next week. The plus out ways the extra arm skin. I'm off blood pressure meds after 11 yrs! I went from 240 to 189 since april. I've never felt so good!
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    The fact that it is derived from the urine of pregnant females is enough to deter me.

Well, I don't know if you know this, Premarin, a hormone therapy for menopausal women, is made from the urine of pregnant mares, yes horses. Remember that when menopause rolls around for you. I was absolutely disgusted when I found that out. A t least HCG is a HUMAN hormone.
  • DinaHCG
    Options
    Touche'!!!!
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    I really don't think what I or anyone else does with their body is any of your business.

When you post about it on a public forum it is no longer private business so I'm free to respond to it. If you don't like it, don't post about it.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Here ya go. Unbiased, peer-reviewed, double-blind studies find no benefit and significant adverse side effects:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/292606-say-no-to-hcg
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Whenever I am cruising through the Recent Posts for some newsie items, and I see the HCG thing pop up, I ALWAYS tune in just to see the bashing that is sure to follow. Somewhat like watching Hockey...Bahahaha....

Each to their own I say. Don't judge. Seriously. That is not what MFP is all about.

I'm pretty sure I will judge. I'm sorry if it offends you but I can't support someone's decision to destroy their body. Eating 500kcal a day is unhealthy and there is no way to prove otherwise. You can take whatever hormones you want with it. Unless you're literally altering your genetics to compensate for the extreme calorie deficit (which isn't even possible yet) then you're causing horrible damage to your body.

So no, I will not support these decisions and I will continue to call them out when I see them. You can call it whatever you want and you can plug your ears and go "la la la" or whatever you want but the truth is apparent. The HCG is a fad diet that is not sustainable long term (completely obvious there) which leads to an unhealthy relationship with food on top of literally starving your body. There is no magical formula to make people lose weight faster. You eat less than you take in and you exercise. That's how it's done. Starving yourself will cause you to lose weight. Chopping your legs off will also cause you to lose weight. I'd rate them about the same on the effectiveness scale.
  • DinaHCG
    Options
    You still have no right to bash and degrade people for their personal choices. Do you just go from thread to thread looking for people to hurt and put down???

By the way, if anyone has ever drank a red bull it is made with bull urine....yuk!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law did it, and it wiped her out. She felt awful--dragged out, tired, weak, shaky. She looked pale and pasty. And, as to be expected, as soon as she upped her calories, the weight came back.

Couldn't pay me to do it, but that's just me.

Kris
This discussion has been closed.