Is it okay to freeze this?

Options
I was talking with a friend and asked her advice on how I can improve my meals and she said don't buy the tv dinners (lean causine, lean gourmet, ect) becuase of all the sodium she said I could make a big batch of whatever and freeze it. Is this okay to do. I would hate to get sick. I just don't know without the food having any preservitives after its cooked or whatever? Heres what I'm thinking of making

1 big box of whole wheat pasta
1 package of shrimp 5 servings
1 gar of ragu reduced fat alrefdo sauce

Would that be okay to freeze? Thanks!

Replies

• akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was talking with a friend and asked her advice on how I can improve my meals and she said don't buy the tv dinners (lean causine, lean gourmet, ect) becuase of all the sodium she said I could make a big batch of whatever and freeze it. Is this okay to do. I would hate to get sick. I just don't know without the food having any preservitives after its cooked or whatever? Heres what I'm thinking of making

1 big box of whole wheat pasta
    1 package of shrimp 5 servings
    1 gar of ragu reduced fat alrefdo sauce

Would that be okay to freeze? Thanks!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    yeah! I freeze meals like that all the time when my husband is deployed.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am big on freezing meals but I don't care for the texture of pasta after it's been froze. It gets mushy. And I don't think the alfredo sauce will freeze well. A marinara sauce is fine frozen.
    Maybe with this meal make a small portion so you can eat it when it's fresh.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Freeze away! I try not to keep things frozen for more than a couple of weeks - but that's just me. I don't know why I have that as a rule of thumb - I must have heard something at some point in my life??:tongue:
  • Nery09
    Nery09 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, It okay to free alot of meals, but pasta does not taste the same.
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Sounds okay to do...It is true, the Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers frozen meals do have high sodium contents, so I would not recommend eating those every day, but once in awhile, they are okay, I had a Healthy Choice one the other day for lunch, that was pretty good sodium wise and pretty tasty. Just have to be super aware of reading food labels!!:flowerforyou:

109912.png
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    I don't like frozen and reheated pasta personally. What I normally do is make up a big batch of sauce, split it into portions and freeze it. When you come to eat it just cook the pasta (or rice) fresh, it only takes around 10-15 mins :o)

:flowerforyou:
  • beagle595
    Options
    The only time you can get away with freezing pasta is freezing a freshly made lasagna. And that is because the Lasagna noodles should only be cooked about 1/3 of the way, still pretty firm really only pliable. Then when it's time to eat the Lasagna it needs to be baked until it inside temp reaches 165 degrees... Any other cooked Pasta will be very mushy and starchy. You can just about freeze anything.. Even Milk. The only thing I don't freeze is Ham lunchmeat... All the water gets pulled from the lunchmeat, and it ends up being the texture of "Budding meat". Healthy Choice are made with less perservatives, and are the safest for Fat, Salt and Sugar content/ made for heart patients. (Freezing sauce in a Freezer Ziplock bag, /laid flat in the freezer saves so much room... and also defrosts very quickly when you need it. I also freeze soup and my ground beef that way.) * And you don't want to re-freeze shrimp. Even with leftovers... I pull the shrimp out, heat my creole sauce and veggies first, then toss the cold shrimp in. Otherwise the shrimp gets as tough as rubber. (*Sorry I love to cook and come from a great line of Cooks and bakers that do everything from scratch! I just eat too much of it! :happy: )lGood luck and enjoy cooking! :drinker: