Scary situation post workout. Heart condition ?

Options
Hi guys,

I am 37 years old and haven't smoked or drank alcohol since 1st April and I am 5'11 and 187 lbs.

I have started working out after many years. For the past 2-3 weeks, I have just been doing casual exercises, sometimes on a recumbent bike or walking on a treadmill or some weight training without a standard program.

On each of these occasions, whether on a recumbent bike or a treadmill or moderate weight training, after 15-20 minutes I have been belching continuously and having mild difficulty in breathing.

I thought it was my mistake as I used to drink a glass of milk or have some bananas 30 minutes before a workout and while belching I can make out its the undigested milk or bananas.

Today, I decided to do a proper workout seriously without any preworkout food. A full body workout with one exercise for each body part ( 6 body parts * 3 sets) and by the end of the workout I was belching pretty heavily.

I somehow rushed out of the gym and while walking home, I was really disoriented. Difficulty in breathing and complete discomfort, I thought I was going to have a heart attack or just collapse.

I had completed my lunch at 2.30 pm and did the workout at 6.00 pm, there was no preworkout food this time and my weight training was less than 30 minutes.

I somehow reached home and there was a massive burp and then I started feeling ok but the incident has left me in fear.

I will obviously get my heart checked but I am would like your opinion on this.

Is my low cardio efficiency the culprit here ?

Shall I do cardio for 1-2 months, till I build my capability to operate lets say an elliptical bike upto 45 mins - 60 mins and then move to weight training. ?

Thanks for reading,

Spetz

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    go to a doctor
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Doctor asap
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    go to a doctor

I agree 100%. Get checked out by a doctor.

But it sounds like you are somehow swallowing air while you are working out, reference the belching part. The disoriented part - that was the 1st time you worked out fasted? Low blood sugar?
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    levankar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am 37 years old and haven't smoked or drank alcohol since 1st April and I am 5'11 and 187 lbs.

I have started working out after many years. For the past 2-3 weeks, I have just been doing casual exercises, sometimes on a recumbent bike or walking on a treadmill or some weight training without a standard program.

On each of these occasions, whether on a recumbent bike or a treadmill or moderate weight training, after 15-20 minutes I have been belching continuously and having mild difficulty in breathing.

I thought it was my mistake as I used to drink a glass of milk or have some bananas 30 minutes before a workout and while belching I can make out its the undigested milk or bananas.

Today, I decided to do a proper workout seriously without any preworkout food. A full body workout with one exercise for each body part ( 6 body parts * 3 sets) and by the end of the workout I was belching pretty heavily.

I somehow rushed out of the gym and while walking home, I was really disoriented. Difficulty in breathing and complete discomfort, I thought I was going to have a heart attack or just collapse.

I had completed my lunch at 2.30 pm and did the workout at 6.00 pm, there was no preworkout food this time and my weight training was less than 30 minutes.

I somehow reached home and there was a massive burp and then I started feeling ok but the incident has left me in fear.

I will obviously get my heart checked but I am would like your opinion on this.

Is my low cardio efficiency the culprit here ?

Shall I do cardio for 1-2 months, till I build my capability to operate lets say an elliptical bike upto 45 mins - 60 mins and then move to weight training. ?

Thanks for reading,

Spetz

Certainly see your doctor. I will say this, I have seen more patients whom have stopped smoking developing chest pain and difficulty breathing soon after they have stopped the habit, than I can count. It soon stopped once the body equipped to the change. Again, certainly reach out to your PCP. Good luck!
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I was a pack a day smoker I heaved everytime I worked out and after. It does go away but you should still go see a doctor to get a professional medical opinion of this nature..
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would try a protein bar or some almonds prior to workout. I get really spacey or jittery about two hours after breakfast and need to eat some almonds every morning. The weird thing is I get up and run 6 miles fasted at 4:30 AM and don't have any problems. It would be a good idea to have blood pressure / blood work checked and an EKG done just in case.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have the same symptoms (minus the belching) if I try to workout fasted. I always have to eat within say 2 hours of my workout or it is a sh1tshow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    go to a doctor

I agree 100%. Get checked out by a doctor.

But it sounds like you are somehow swallowing air while you are working out, reference the belching part. The disoriented part - that was the 1st time you worked out fasted? Low blood sugar?

All of this
  • levankar
    levankar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It means a lot.

I had done a thorough check up with a cardiologist in Nov,2016 and it had come out fine.

I will anyways get a complete check up done again, assuming it comes out fine and there are no heart issues, how do I proceed with my workouts.

Clearly even 18 sets (6 bodyparts * 3 sets) of weight training is proving to be challenge and in cardio , after 20-25 minutes of low intensity workout, I started feeling weird, slightly dizzy

To answer 'deluxmary2000', I was a heavy drinker and a heavy drinker of cheap alcohol and that pretty much messed up everything but I am out of it.I will not touch even beer now.

Thanks,

Spetz
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You should probably check with your doctor before you do anymore exercise as that seems to bring on the problem you are having. The dizziness is a concern.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I had done a thorough check up with a cardiologist in Nov,2016 and it had come out fine.

I will anyways get a complete check up done again, assuming it comes out fine and there are no heart issues, how do I proceed with my workouts.

Clearly even 18 sets (6 bodyparts * 3 sets) of weight training is proving to be challenge and in cardio , after 20-25 minutes of low intensity workout, I started feeling weird, slightly dizzy

To answer 'deluxmary2000', I was a heavy drinker and a heavy drinker of cheap alcohol and that pretty much messed up everything but I am out of it.I will not touch even beer now.

Thanks,

Spetz

I would go to a doctor not necessarily checking just your heart I would mention that you have quit alcohol after heavy consumption. This seems very relevant and it may be more stomach related as gas can give a feeling of heart attacks. I also think you should go as soon as possible. x
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Could have acute alcohol gastritis.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Definitely just see a doctor, and keep your exercise light between now and getting answers. I used to burp a lot during workouts and not eating beforehand has helped, but I never felt dizzy so that's what's concerning here. I'd stick with very light weights, not a huge challenge but enough that you feel accomplished and keep cardio light as well, such as walking or low intensity biking. It could be as simple as too much too soon, or you're reacting to a sudden wonderful change in your lifestyle in regards to smoking and drinking. It takes the body a while to recover from traumas and toxins. Not that you need a detox, you just need time. But yes definitely a check up where you mention all these details. Hopefully it's just an adjustment period for you! But better safe than sorry.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Look up exercise induced GERD or acid reflux. Symptoms sound spot on.
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First see a doctor, obviously.
    I would recommend starting with walking, then once your doctor approves, move into more intense workouts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Spetz

I would go to a doctor not necessarily checking just your heart I would mention that you have quit alcohol after heavy consumption. This seems very relevant and it may be more stomach related as gas can give a feeling of heart attacks. I also think you should go as soon as possible. x

Agreed, isn't necessarily your heart. Do you have heart problems in the family?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it's just an episode of low blood sugar or volume depletion. But you still have to see a doctor.
  • levankar
    Options
    Update:

Went to the doctor, a cardiologist.

Told him everything.

His assistant first took the blood pressure which is 130/90 and the assistant told me its normal for 37 years of age.

Then did a 2d Echo test and the doctor said that the 2d Echo test report is fine.

Will be doing the blood test and stress test and other tests tomorrow morning as the doc wants me to fast for 12 hours before taking the blood report.

Thanks guys

Spetz
  • levankar
    Options
    Update:

Got tested thoroughly, blood test, LIPID Profile, Stress test etc.

I have the reports but the cardiologist is out of town so will show him when he comes back.

Some highlights are :

Stress Test:

Couldn't last more than 3 levels, was on a treadmill for 9 minutes only and max speed of 6.7 km/hr and slope of 16%.Till 96% of target heart rate.

Was totally breathless at this paltry speed and started panicking and requested the test to be stopped ( I am such a loser )

The analysis says : Negative for Provocable Myocardial Ischemia.

Lipid Profile:

Total Cholesterol : 165 (Desirable : < 200)

HDL Cholesterol : 41.6 (Desirable : 40-60 , Good : > 60)

LDL Cholesterol : 109 (Desirable : < 100, Optimal: 100-129)

HS CRP : 4.64 ( High Risk ....More than 3.0 )........This is the only thing that worries me

As one gentleman pointed out above, even got a Chest X-Ray done and it came out normal and no diabetes too.

Got my lungs tested too and I am 37 and my lung age is 75 ( why did I ever start smoking)

Although, I haven't got the doc's opinion yet, I believe my heart is ok , not in the best shape but ok but my lung capacity is down in the dumps.

Just waiting for my doc to come back and will show him the reports and wait for his views.

I wonder how do I go about my exercise now ?

Thanks for reading and support.

Spetz