Comfort eating

Options
I'm terrible for comfort eating. As soon as something goes wrong, I have a bad day, I just want to reach for the chocolate. Anyone got any tips on how to help? I'm doing so well but I just feel like giving up!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Honestly, I'm so bad at emotional eating I had to see professional help. Here are some tips I picked up for the bad days:

Exercise. I hate it, but once I start I feel better at the end.

Self Care. I keep inexpensive face masks and other things around for bad days. Practicing self care gets food off my mind.

Going somewhere different. Getting out of the routine helps to reset my mind. It can be as simple as taking a different route home, but most of the time, I go check out a new store or park area.

Letting it out. Can't always do this, but I feel better once I've had a good cry.

Writing. I'm not a big fan of journaling my actual life, but writing stories is cathartic.

Also drinking water helps if the craving is grounded in mild hunger. Typically, hot tea helps me the most.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Find another way to compensate for bad things happening in life. Life is full of crap and ups and downs that can not be resolved with food binges, so look for another alternatives. Chocolate is overrated anyway.

Reach for a book, listen to music, go to the gym or for a walk, bike or run. Put an exercise DVD and move your body. Clean up the house or a room or a drawer or work in your garden if you have one. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure and the list goes on, and on.

You can do it; you just need to change your frame of mind.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for comfort eating. As soon as something goes wrong, I have a bad day, I just want to reach for the chocolate. Anyone got any tips on how to help? I'm doing so well but I just feel like giving up!

i can totally relate with this. it's hard to say because there isn't an easy answer and what works for me may not work for you. for me, depending on when this bad mood strikes, i do my best to change my environment. if it happens at work, it's a little challenging because while i can go for a walk around the block, working in the city means delicious food options every other door so I end up sitting at my desk and drinking a lot of water. i've heard water can really suppress the cravings and until i really took that tip seriously, i scoffed at the idea. if i'm home and i'm having a rough time, instead of heading to the kitchen, i go out for a walk if the weather is nice or hop on the stationary bike.

i track macros so i typically have my meals planned the night before so if i end up have a crappy day and want to turn to food, i'll update my meal plan for the next day to include a small treat (ensuring i still stay within my macro goals) - that way if i'm still feeling crappy the next day, i know i'll have a little something sweet pre-planned and i can have it without the guilt. this also challenges me to remain committed to staying on track the rest of the day so working through that helps me build my willpower and reminds me of the reason why i want to keep on this path of health and not slide back to my old ways.

hope you're able to find what works for you, but i promise giving up won't! you got this girl! <3
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream was my go to during my divorce! :wink:

Try making some alternate healthy takes on some of your favorite comfort foods and then you can munch on those healthier versions.

Hopefully with practice you can try and deal with things a different way. Just like I tend to reward myself with treats - like I'm a dog or something. I'm learning to practice rewards that are non-food.

Maybe take walks, call and talk to a friend, color (I'm 41 yrs old and I still like coloring), shopping, go see a movie, prayer, watch inspirational YouTube videos, play a game (I like board games), pick some flowers, etc...

Happy adventures :blush:
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm so bad at emotional eating I had to see professional help. Here are some tips I picked up for the bad days:

Exercise. I hate it, but once I start I feel better at the end.

Self Care. I keep inexpensive face masks and other things around for bad days. Practicing self care gets food off my mind.

Going somewhere different. Getting out of the routine helps to reset my mind. It can be as simple as taking a different route home, but most of the time, I go check out a new store or park area.

Letting it out. Can't always do this, but I feel better once I've had a good cry.

Writing. I'm not a big fan of journaling my actual life, but writing stories is cathartic.

Also drinking water helps if the craving is grounded in mild hunger. Typically, hot tea helps me the most.

Thank you! I've had a good cry and your tips are very helpful and I'll definitely use this :)
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Find another way to compensate for bad things happening in life. Life is full of crap and ups and downs that can not be resolved with food binges, so look for another alternatives. Chocolate is overrated anyway.

Reach for a book, listen to music, go to the gym or for a walk, bike or run. Put an exercise DVD and move your body. Clean up the house or a room or a drawer or work in your garden if you have one. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure and the list goes on, and on.

You can do it; you just need to change your frame of mind.

Thank you! I haven't had an emotional binge for about 7 weeks so I'm going well just finding today hard, :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Op- Self care, self care, self care.

Managing your overall stress is going to be key along with living the life (home environment, work environment, personal relationships, self interests) you want to live.

P.S. I wrote a really long article about this topic actually. if you want it, shoot me a message. It's available on my blog and I personally use it as an ex binge-eater.

@RelCanonical #ARMY4LIFE
  • georgiamaxine1
    Options

i can totally relate with this. it's hard to say because there isn't an easy answer and what works for me may not work for you. for me, depending on when this bad mood strikes, i do my best to change my environment. if it happens at work, it's a little challenging because while i can go for a walk around the block, working in the city means delicious food options every other door so I end up sitting at my desk and drinking a lot of water. i've heard water can really suppress the cravings and until i really took that tip seriously, i scoffed at the idea. if i'm home and i'm having a rough time, instead of heading to the kitchen, i go out for a walk if the weather is nice or hop on the stationary bike.

i track macros so i typically have my meals planned the night before so if i end up have a crappy day and want to turn to food, i'll update my meal plan for the next day to include a small treat (ensuring i still stay within my macro goals) - that way if i'm still feeling crappy the next day, i know i'll have a little something sweet pre-planned and i can have it without the guilt. this also challenges me to remain committed to staying on track the rest of the day so working through that helps me build my willpower and reminds me of the reason why i want to keep on this path of health and not slide back to my old ways.

hope you're able to find what works for you, but i promise giving up won't! you got this girl! <3

Thank you so much!! This was very helpful :) glad that I'm not alone x
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Op- Self care, self care, self care.

Managing your overall stress is going to be key along with living the life (home environment, work environment, personal relationships, self interests) you want to live.

P.S. I wrote a really long article about this topic actually. if you want it, shoot me a message. It's available on my blog and I personally use it as an ex binge-eater.

@RelCanonical #ARMY4LIFE

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention listening to some LIT music as a good coping mechanism. Nothing gets me pumped like Cypher Pt. 2.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Right here with you on this one ...

Try this. Give yourself permission to have the chocolate, but in half an hour. Sounds dumb but say it out loud 'okay I'm having the chocolate but in half an hour'. Then go do something else. Perhaps come here and check out the success story forum for inspiration. Or go do some activity you enjoy. When the half hour is up ... repeat.

Delaying works for me (if I remember to do it!)

• georgiamaxine1
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream was my go to during my divorce! :wink:

Try making some alternate healthy takes on some of your favorite comfort foods and then you can munch on those healthier versions.

Hopefully with practice you can try and deal with things a different way. Just like I tend to reward myself with treats - like I'm a dog or something. I'm learning to practice rewards that are non-food.

Maybe take walks, call and talk to a friend, color (I'm 41 yrs old and I still like coloring), shopping, go see a movie, prayer, watch inspirational YouTube videos, play a game (I like board games), pick some flowers, etc...

Happy adventures :blush:

Thank you!! :smile:

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't buy, you won't eat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I've traded emotional eating for emotional bicycle rides. I ride until I feel better or I'm so tired I don't care anymore. It works wonders.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I haven't mastered this yet either, but staying busy helps, as does staying out of the kitchen.

Down 140lbs: My story.