Double dip calories?

Options
I have a FitBit and get extra calories from my steps. When I walk in the evenings do I log my walk or not. I dont want to get extra calories for my walk even when I get them for my steps from FitBit. I'm not sure if this is double dipping in calories.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    That would be double-dipping. Your FitBit takes care of it if it's syncing correctly.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Don't log it. It will not only save you some confusion, but prevent the log from being sent over for the wrong time and doubling calories.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't double dip. MFP would overwrite what Fitbit says you burned in that time frame. But since Fitbit tracks your step-based activity, it isn't necessary to log on here at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The whole point of syncing your fitbit with mfp is so you don't have to go to the bother of logging exercise, it's set and forget.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and get extra calories from my steps. When I walk in the evenings do I log my walk or not. I dont want to get extra calories for my walk even when I get them for my steps from FitBit. I'm not sure if this is double dipping in calories.

For all it's inadequacies, your FitBit is more meaningful than just logging by time. So you'd be reducing accuracy by logging it, never mind the risk of double dipping, which really depends on how you'd log it.
  • dsoBHnY
    dsoBHnY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got both Google fit and Strava synced. When I go for a run i get both adjustments from both of them. So am I double dipping?
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Depending on which Fitbit you have, it can track exercises (I have the Charge 2, so I begin a specific exercise with the button. Or it will pick up on activity over 10 minutes). The Fitbit site (not the app) will tell you how many calories you burned for that exercise, and you can log them on MFP separately. It'll adjust the calorie burn from your steps accordingly so they only show once. I do this, because I don't eat regular step calories back since it's just a part of my day. Some days it says I've burned over 1500 when my exercise was only, say, 800.