Do you count your veggies and fruit?

Options
Obviously we know veggies and fruit add great nutritional value and very low in calories so you can eat a ton and not gain weight. But, does that mean we should add it to the diary ?

Replies

• kobolover
    kobolover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah I count everything
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes. It all adds up.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so you need to log them. And yes, you can gain weight if you "eat a ton" of fruits and vegetables and it puts you over your calorie goal.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You cannot eat a tonne and not gain weight.
    You should log all your fruit and vegetables, juices and smoothies. It is entirely feasible to gain weight by eating nothing but fruit and vegetables since weight gain is simply about consuming an excess of calories vs those burned each day.
    Some fruits are quite high in sugar so they will affect your macro split too by increasing the % calories from carbohydrates. Fruit juices and smoothies are very calorie dense whilst providing a low level of satiety.
    Veggies are high in Fibre which is good for you and good to keep track of too so all the more reason to log them.
  • sarahpro85
    sarahpro85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe a ton was not the correct word lol. I meant you can eat a good amount all day and lose weight, but I just was not sure if you really have to log them in seeing as though they help with weight loss. True on the avocado and bananas. I guess I just meant really low cal veg/fruit...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course. If it has calories then it should be logged. Fruits and veggies both have calories - some more than others.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My veg calories today...

100g beets 43
    V8 70
    6 oz cucumber 23
    100g black berries 43
    85 grams avocado 136

So far that's 315 calories...calories are calories...if you overeat your calories, you overeat your calories regardless of where they come from.

I also haven't had dinner yet which will be more veg on top of what's already there...I'll probably have an apple after my lifting session as well so I'm looking at probably another 150-200 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sarahpro85 wrote: »
    Obviously we know veggies and fruit add great nutritional value and very low in calories so you can eat a ton and not gain weight. But, does that mean we should add it to the diary ?

Log everything.

Weight Watchers has this thing where fruits & veggies are "free." But they are not (really) because you start with a lower daily calorie intake. MFP doesn't lower your calories......so log everything.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If I grab a baby carrot out of the fridge or put a couple of spinach leaves on my sandwich I might not log them. But anything more, yes I log it. Not only because the calories can add up, but I'm also looking at numbers like iron, fiber, vitamins, etc, that are highly impacted by my veggie intake. Plus, having a complete log let's me go back through it down the road to see what I've changed if I don't see the results I want.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Yes, you should still log them even if you think they are 'low calorie' as lots of low calories going uncounted could add up to you going over your calories and then not understanding why you're not losing weight at the rate you expected or MFP predicted.

If you want to change how MFP is set up then you could monitor for a few weeks how many calories you typically consume of these foods that you do not want to bother to log, then of manually amend your calorie goal to be reduced by whatever that number is, perhaps plus a bit more for safety margin.
    Eg if you add up you have 1 banana, 2 apples and some veg each day that, for example, comes to 300 calories then you could change your calorie goal from the 1600 MFP gave you to 1300, continue eating the same level of these foods and the results should be the same regardless. But, if you start having trouble with not losing weight as expected you might then want to tighten up your logging again.

Also remember if you do choose to do this that as you lose weight (depending how much you have to lose) MFP will automatically reduce your calorie goal since your daily BMR will reduce. That means you would need to reduce your manually set number too.
  • sarahpro85
    sarahpro85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do not just eat fruits and veggies all day lol and I can see how someone could gain if they ate too much of just that, I guess what I was saying on normal servings a day, do you really need to add? But, I will from now on even though I did not really see a difference in weight when I was not adding. Calories are calories, I get it ;)
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    Definitely have to count them. People can gain weight by eating too many fruits and veggies just like anything else. You ever see paintings of overweight people from hundreds of years ago? They didn't get fat on processed food lol.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Always I often eat several hundred calories of fruits and vegetables
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sarahpro85 wrote: »
    I do not just eat fruits and veggies all day lol and I can see how someone could gain if they ate too much of just that, I guess what I was saying on normal servings a day, do you really need to add? But, I will from now on even though I did not really see a difference in weight when I was not adding. Calories are calories, I get it ;)

Weight management isn't about eating too much of this or that...it's the cumulative effect of your overall calorie intake vs expenditure.

A calorie is a unit of energy...your body requires XXXX amount of energy to function optimally...when you consume more energy (calories) than your body requires, that excess energy is stored as body fat...it's basically your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that deficiency has to be made up for...so your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat.

Also, what do you consider to be normal servings? 6+ servings of veg and fruit daily is what is recommended...serving can be variable, but it's usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 - 100 grams.
  • sarabushby
    Options
    Today I had 300cal of fruit/veg, if I did not log them and still stuck to my 2000cal daily log then I could typically look to gain 1lb of weight every fortnight, even though "it's only fruit and veg".
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    At this point raw fruits and veggies make up a little under half of my diet, so yes, log them. Notice of course they do tend to be lower calorie so you can eat MORE of them compared to some foods and still be eating light. But they still have calories and your body doesn't care if you eat 100 calories of spinach or 100 of cookies, it's still 100 calories.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If it has calories you should log it. Things can add up quickly.