Exercise at home help!

Options
When I look at everyones posts and comments about exercise, I feel so overwhelmed! I thought I was doing good, consistently losing weight and watching my calories. But then when I look at what everyone else does for exercise...I feel like I'm just not doing good enough.

I feel like I'm never doing the right thing. Either I'm doing too much cardio, or too little cardio. I've been told to switch doing cardio and strength every other day. I'm afraid to do just a day of strength training, because I doubt I'd be burning the same amount of calories as I would doing cardio.

I guess what I'm wondering, what kind of workout schedule works for everyone out there? What do you do, how many times per week, how long, etc. I do not belong to a gym, and cannot afford to at this time. I love to walk, I also play around with the free workouts I can watch on TV...and I would LOVE to be a runner (though I have been trying to do this for the last 4 weeks and can only seem to run for a total of 12 minutes straight before I feel like my breathing and chest are constricted).

I'm feeling frustrated and lost... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• dodd84
    dodd84 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing this to help me get running, I've heard it's good and it starts you off alternating running and walking to build up your stamina so might be one to think about! http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Look into couch to 5k, it will help with the running. Other than that i normally do strength vid every other day and do cardio every other day. Believe me, you do enough if you do it right, you don't want to overuse your muscles!
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have 3 small kids (aged 5 - 5 months) and my DH works long hours. DD won't take a bottle so I use workout DVDs. When I started I just walked twice a week with DD (my smallest) in a sling or the buggy but I could only manage that twice a week when both the 2 and 5 year old were at school/ childcare. My weight plateaued about 2 months ago, so I upped my exercise. Now I do a cardio type DVD 4 -5 times a week, then a toning type one 1 -2 times a week. I have one day off per week from exercise DVDs, and honestly yes now I usually do still exercise but something less intense eg gardening, walking.

by the way - I ran after i had DS2, I got right up to running 10k but I just never truly enjoyed it and then my knees gave way so I gave up...
  • adrehe
    adrehe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you have an ipod you can download couch 2 5k podcasts to help you go from walking to running. I have the app on my phone and I love it! I also have a fit tv channel that has great yoga adn work out shows.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like doing richard simmions dvd's at home. i do dancing with the oldies. Or the wii fit console; do it at home. but i also like to walk. it just depends on what u enjoy to keep u motivated. If u enjoy it then u are doing what is right for u .
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you have to enjoy what you are doing, that is the most important thing. I do 4 or 5 times a week cardio, one time strength and either one or 2 days rest. You have to find the rhythm you feel happy and comfortable with.
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out a C25K program, I sort of did my own program, but the same basic idea of slowly building up your run vs. walk time. As for the weight training, I try to off set my cardio and strength training days (I also workout at home), but some times I do them on the same day, depending on my schedule and how I'm feeling. I just try to make sure I get at least 30 minutes of activity a day.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't be to hard on yourself! You gotta start off somewhere, when I first started to workout all I did was cardio too. And yes u burn more cals doin cardio. Cardio helps to burn fat but weight training helps to shape the body. But with strength training (lifting weights) there is something called the after burn effect. This is when u are done weight lifting your body burns calories at a higher rate because its repairing the muscles u just used. As long as you work out at a level where u feel like your heart rate is being elevated then u should be good. Whether you want to incorporate weight training is up to you and your body. If you don't think you are doin something right try it in front if a mirror. But never compare yourself to others, ee all start off somewhere and it takes tome to get to where we are. If you can run for 12 minutes that good, gradually increase you time over a period of time. I always say keep you routine the same for two weeks 3 times a week to allow your body to adapt and become stronger and then add intensity or duration to keep it challenging. Hope this helps:)
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Start walking first, then work up to running. Also, I do Pilates at home and it helps with both strengthing, toning and cardio. You can get free youtube workouts on you computer or download audio books which instruct you on your workouts.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some great advice, but I'd like to share with you a few of my favorite internet articles that I've found and book marked along my journey. I hope you'll take the time to read them and hope they are as helpful to you as they are to me. :flowerforyou:

As others have said - the important thing is that you are doing something. There is no "wrong" work-out. Just do what works for you. Different types of work-outs will help you achieve different goals, so keep that in mind. My goal is to be strong and healthy (and I wouldn't mind a ripped a mid-section), so I like to lift HEAVY weights (the heaviest I can) about every other day. I do either HIIT or steady state cardio on my elliptical on my non-lifting days. I will take 1-2 rest days a week.

I HIGHLY recommend and love the book - the New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. Check it out on Amazon.com, the best $10 I ever spent.

Anyway, here are the links:

Some interesting info about steady state cardio:
    http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/505print.cfm

Weight lifting myths busted:
    http://www.fitcysters.com/forum/topics/myth-alert-if-i-lift-weights-i

More insight on strength training for women:
    http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/4_things_your_girlfriend_should_know

Photos of results from lifting HEAVY weights:
    http://i.imgur.com/nj1UJ.jpg

A work-out routine to follow if interested:
    http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/