Advice on what to wear to the gym (female)

midnightsurfer
midnightsurfer Posts: 28 Member
edited April 2017 in Chit-Chat
I know this is my first post here (in a while), but unfortunately i have few IRL friends, and none who are into fitness to ask advice from (and i have never been good at buying clothes!), so here goes.
My current work out is a mix of cardio and weights,
Currently i wear these to the gym
http://www.adidas.co.uk/essentials-3-stripes-three-quarter-pants/AJ4689.html
However as i lose weight they are getting too big but when i go shopping for new gear all i can find are leggings and tights (I'd also like something that drys quicker than current ones as I'm in gym most days).
I'm not over weight but I'm not 100% comfortable on how they look over the butt area...
am i just being stupid and should just wear them?? Do you have any tips for buying training gear... anything in particular to look out for?

It seems most people do, and as long as they are not see through i think they look fine, i just cant apply that logic to myself!

Please help!

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Wear what you are comfortable in.

Words of Wisdom.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Wear what you are comfortable in.

Yup...
  • midnightsurfer
    I do get the 'wear what your comfortable in' idea, but its hard to find things i do feel comfortable in, and as my boyfriend tells me, if you dont give something a go, you never will expand your comfort zone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I do get the 'wear what your comfortable in' idea, but its hard to find things i do feel comfortable in, and as my boyfriend tells me, if you dont give something a go, you never will expand your comfort zone.

My wife and most of the women I know at the gym wear leggings/yoga pants...they're basically the trendy modern day sweat pant. My wife prefers one's that go just past the knees and she's not into anything too flashy. Our friend and her trainer loves all kinds of color and crazy prints...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    ..... as little as possible.

B)
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    Wear what you want.. See my profile pic? Yes that's what I sometimes wear when working out.
    That's cuz you're smoking hot
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    You can still find pants that aren't tights. Just expand your search. I don't like wearing tights or leggings and I have seen far too many ladies' underwear thru their tights.
  • Motorsheen
    Totally off topic but judging by your profile picture and name I'm assuming you're a surfer? Dear lawd, I was beginning to think no one else on here surfs! Add me; I'm awesome :D

same here, when I'm not surfing Mavericks, I'm sunbathing with spider monkeys on Saint Barth's and dropping acid.

It changes your whole perspective on chit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I would totally wear the pants in that link you posted. So comfortable looking! I need some of those... B)
  • midnightsurfer
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I would totally wear the pants in that link you posted. So comfortable looking! I need some of those... B)

They are good, just take a long time to dry... and are a bit warm for spring/summer
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    I normally wear mismatching socks and look of disdain for every one and everything around me
  • Motorsheen
    @Motorsheen ..only the slowest of claps for the cliche

I'll take it.

appocalypse-now-surfing.jpg
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    If it is your bum you aren't comfortable with...buy the yoga pants but look for tanks or tops that are longer and cover all or most of your bum. I know I find them at Athleta..., spendy but they often have a great clearance section!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Those adidas pants seem like they'd end up looking like a diaper after you sweat.

Just wear the leggings. Wear a longer training tank if you'd like to be modest.
  • bbell1985
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    You can still find pants that aren't tights. Just expand your search. I don't like wearing tights or leggings and I have seen far too many ladies' underwear thru their tights.

And that's why we go commando or wear T-strings in the gym.. that way you can't see a thing.

But yes.. if tights or leggings aren't your things maybe you'd like yoga shorts or yoga pants. I personally love yoga shorts.

83d7a161f0d8ad556658cae526a49465.jpg

I'd love to wear these. My *kitten* just eats them up.
  • bbell1985

Ok... for me...

I need my leggings to be:

High waisted, I've had kids and I want that extra support
    Thick material that isn't to warm or to cold, spandex is good.
    Tight but not so tight that I can't move in them.

So far these are the best I've found from Aim'n. Nike's dry fit are ok, UA are bad quality in my opinion and sea through but Aim'n and Nike work well.

bb18dad863f3345d5758cd774231bf71.jpg

I'm not very picky on my workout tops. If they go with the leggings then I'm happy but I don't like it if they're loose on me so I go for a tighter fit with no sleeves.

Sports bras need to be full support and they have to fit

Shoes are very important IMO

Best I've found so far are the Reebok Nano 7. They're made for cross training so you can both lift and run in them but I really recommend getting shoes for what you're planning to do.

Lift, get lifting shoes
    Run, get running shoes

If you can't then go for the cross training shoes like the Reebok Nano or the Metcons from Nike.

What is the texture of these leggings? I like them but think they'd show my cellulite.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Honestly, I love my 3/4 length Danskins from Walmart. I think I paid like $12 and they dry pretty quickly and aren't see-through. The inner thigh doesn't get gross from chub rub, either! I love VS yoga pants, but they seem to split at the inner thigh for me after six months to a year. Their VS sport pants hold up much better. I second the poster that recommended long tank tops