Coffee alternative.

Options

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Cashew milk for the win:) Its way creamier than almond milk and only 25 cals for a whole cup! I drink that and splenda in my coffee:)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Sorry if you're using splenda that's a lot of cream calories. Try 2 tablespoons...that's a serving. Whoa!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    How on earth are you getting 148 calories out of a coffee with cream and Splenda? I use what I think of as a decent amount of half-and-half, about 1.5 tbsp, and it comes out to less than 30.

I mean, usually we have issues with people underestimating calories, but I wonder if you're not overestimating? This is equivalent to almost half a cup of half-and half! You'd only get 4 servings out of a pint. That can't be right.

She's not overestimating. She doesn't use half & half...she uses actual cream which is about 50 calories per tablespoon. I'm assuming she takes 3 tablespoons...which is a lot of cream.

I like cream, but I don't like to use THAT much because it makes the coffee too rich.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    SPlenda is zero calories, the cream is your problem.

You can switch to half & half or gradually reduce the cream every week until you get it down to one tablespoon or even less as your tastes adapt. You can try whole milk...but I feel like it just waters the coffee down, so I personally don't like it that way. You may be different.

There are a lot of non-dairy creamers with artificial sweeteners that are very low or zero calories. You can try those as well.

Lots of options out there.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 4 calories per packet of splenda. Cream adds up fast. I struggle with some coffee types being too bitter. I like dunkin donuts.

Or, I drink ON nutrition amino energy. 10 calories with bcaas (protein) and as much caffeine as coffee (or close). Tastes delicious too. I like fruit punch. I buy it on Amazon. I use this for my lunch time pick me up. I also travel with it in case our location either doesn't have coffee or has unpalatable coffee, or no Splenda (nothing else cuts the bitterness).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    So there's half and half and then there's...heavy whipping cream? Is that what she's using?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    SPlenda is zero calories, the cream is your problem.

You can switch to half & half or gradually reduce the cream every week until you get it down to one tablespoon or even less as your tastes adapt. You can try whole milk...but I feel like it just waters the coffee down, so I personally don't like it that way. You may be different.

There are a lot of non-dairy creamers with artificial sweeteners that are very low or zero calories. You can try those as well.

Lots of options out there.

I gave the numbers above for half-and-half, assuming "cream" wasn't what was technically meant any more than "cup" meant exactly 8 oz of coffee. But even if we're talking heavy cream, you need over 1/8 cup to get this many calories out of it. (3 tbsp to be more or less precise.) I find it hard to believe anyone really uses that much, particularly if it's heavy cream.

I'd like to know how OP is measuring the "cream" added and what exactly she means by "cream". Because folks are talking as if this makes sense when they suggest alternatives -- some of which are actually more caloric than half-and-half -- and as far as I can see it just doesn't.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've actually switched from "regular" coffee to espresso. I, surprisingly, found it less bitter (for my taste) and more palatable in terms of only adding almond milk.

Oh, and I completely agree with hiding it in breakfast shakes too. Tomorrow: 1x Cookie Dough Halo Top, 2x Espresso, 1x protein powder and 2c unsweetened almond milk w/ice.

ETA: coffee is life.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually just eyeball the amount of cream I put in, I know if you go to Dunkins a regular coffee has 4 cream and 4 sugars. So when I did my stats i just put in that I was taking 4 servings of coffee mate coconut cream. I took some time tonight and actually measured (!) and found that to get the "color" I like takes two servings, not 4..so I've been overestimating. I'm going to switch to a lighter roast and slowly will cut back the cream. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can eliminate it all together! Thanks for all the support!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I use a flavored coffee and unsweetened almond milk with a sugar free caramel syrup. Mmmm! I prefer cold brew so I usually have it iced. It's like 20-30 calories totally depending on how much I drink.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I only skimmed, so sorry if someone's said this already! Have you looked into coldbrew? It's sweeter / less bitter than drip coffee, so it's much easier to drink black. I swear by it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    I usually just eyeball the amount of cream I put in, I know if you go to Dunkins a regular coffee has 4 cream and 4 sugars. So when I did my stats i just put in that I was taking 4 servings of coffee mate coconut cream. I took some time tonight and actually measured (!) and found that to get the "color" I like takes two servings, not 4..so I've been overestimating. I'm going to switch to a lighter roast and slowly will cut back the cream. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can eliminate it all together! Thanks for all the support!
    Or switch to real half-and-half. Maybe you like the flavor of this stuff, but you're doing yourself no favors. A serving of 1 tbsp/5ml/15g has 35 calories and 5 grams of sugar. That sugar accounts for all the carbs in it, and at 4 cal/g it comes to 20 calories -- that is, most of the calories in it come from sugar! And here you may have thought you were avoiding sugar by sweetening with Splenda.

The same amount of half-and-half has 20 calories total, nearly all of which come from its 2g of fat, and it contains no sugar to speak of.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Davinci 0 calorie syrups are great-I alternate between the French vanilla and the caramel options (1tbsp per cup), with 2 tbsp of 2% milk. One cup this way is around 15 calories :)
  • MrsSeager
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    How on earth are you getting 148 calories out of a coffee with cream and Splenda? I use what I think of as a decent amount of half-and-half, about 1.5 tbsp, and it comes out to less than 30.

I mean, usually we have issues with people underestimating calories, but I wonder if you're not overestimating? This is equivalent to almost half a cup of half-and half! You'd only get 4 servings out of a pint. That can't be right.

She's not overestimating. She doesn't use half & half...she uses actual cream which is about 50 calories per tablespoon. I'm assuming she takes 3 tablespoons...which is a lot of cream.

I like cream, but I don't like to use THAT much because it makes the coffee too rich.

I was actually overestimating, I just measured. I've really been using 2 tablespoons of coconut creamer that has 70 calories. Not good, but definitely better than 140! I recently switched to a darker roast, it's pretty strong so I've been adding Splenda to "hide" the bitterness. I'll likely switch to a lighter roast, or try one of the many other options everyone has given me here
  • edendylana
    edendylana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink Yerba mate every morning instead of coffee. I find it to be a much clearer upper as coffee can sometimes make me dizzy.
  • enfieldbabacustoms
    enfieldbabacustoms Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chai With Ginger & Stevia
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When you are drinking "coffee" with that much cream, it is milk you want, not coffee.
  • MrsSeager
    Options
    When you are drinking "coffee" with that much cream, it is milk you want, not coffee.

No, it's coffee. Like I said in previous posts, I overestimated the amount of cream I was adding.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You might consider buying a better quality coffee, fresh roasted whole beans, and grind it fresh, with a good grinder. You won't need the cream to mask any bitterness. Craft is a company I order from regularly online. I make pour over and use a burr grinder. I do still like half & half in mine, but sometimes I just want to taste the coffee.