what size kettlebell for a female beginner?

Options
I am current using 1.5kg/3lbs dumbbells and i am looking into buying a kettle bell but not sure was size to get. Any ladies out there what size was your first kettlebell?

Replies

• SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mine is 8kg, I also use two 4kgs.
  • csoul27
    csoul27 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have a 10 pound kettlebell. I've been using 8 pounds weights though. I would try lifting a lighter one to see which works best. Good luck!
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i will be ordering online and don't have the chance to get to a shop that sells them for for a while:( thats why i was just wondering what other people have got:)
  • shel66216
    shel66216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have used dumbbells in the past, but it had been a while. I had read in another post about kettlebells and how the routine really helps with the core and inner thigh. I purchased Bob Harper's 7 lb kettlebell that comes with a DVD. I chose the 7 lb one as I didn't want to get one that was too heavy. After doing the routine I realized that it seemed a little on the light side given that kettlebell routines use the momentum of the bell. I then purchased Jillian Michaels set of three kettlebells. They are 5, 10, & 15 lbs. The cost ended up being cheaper than buying single bells from other sources. This set comes with an instructional DVD, but no real routine. I found Jillian's Shred it with Weights which uses kettlebells on Amazons Instant videos and bought that. It is a pretty good workout using the 10lb bell. I have just recently started working out again after about two years of doing absolutely nothing but, I made it through the routine and have it in my current rotation.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the kind of workout you plan on doing. I have KBs ranging from 25lb to 53lb, and use them for different things. If you are going to do short intense workouts you can get away with heavier, but if your workouts have you swinging them for a minute or two at a time, stick with lighter weight.
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have used dumbbells in the past, but it had been a while. I had read in another post about kettlebells and how the routine really helps with the core and inner thigh. I purchased Bob Harper's 7 lb kettlebell that comes with a DVD. I chose the 7 lb one as I didn't want to get one that was too heavy. After doing the routine I realized that it seemed a little on the light side given that kettlebell routines use the momentum of the bell. I then purchased Jillian Michaels set of three kettlebells. They are 5, 10, & 15 lbs. The cost ended up being cheaper than buying single bells from other sources. This set comes with an instructional DVD, but no real routine. I found Jillian's Shred it with Weights which uses kettlebells on Amazons Instant videos and bought that. It is a pretty good workout using the 10lb bell. I have just recently started working out again after about two years of doing absolutely nothing but, I made it through the routine and have it in my current rotation.

Im planning on doing JM shred it with weights i havent seen her kettlebell set though i will look for it:)
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    8kilo but if your having problems drop down to 6kilo.

Alot of sportshops have kb's on display, why dont you go to one and check them out