Excessively high heart rate?

Options
I've been running for a couple of months now doing the C25K. It's going pretty well, I can just about run 30mins with no breaks, yay.

I wasn't particularly concerned, until I tried out a heart rate monitor on my run this morning as part of a new training schedule to increase the speed and distance (I'd like to start training for more than just a 5k soon). It was meant to be a slow run keeping my heart rate down low. That was the plan anyway.

I started running slower than normal in an attempt to keep my heart rate low, but even at this slow pace, my heart rate was consistently between 190 and 200bpm. In an attempt to get it lower, I stopped, rested and started again, but barely as soon as I started moving, my heart rate was back at 170bpm - and I literally was going no faster than a quick walk. A totally unsustainable running pace, certainly (I find running that slowly impossible), and I increased my speed a little (and equally my heart rate).

I guess I should say something about me - I'm 23, 5ft4, about 127lb, and I exercise 6 days a week, so I'm tolerably fit. Is a consistently high heart rate something I should be concerned about?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How is the HRM? Is it new? Used? Accurate? Is it set up right? I tossed out my old HRM a week or so ago because every time I wore it for the last week, it told me my heart rate was 109, no matter what I was doing, it was 109. For 2 hours. Walking 109, sitting 109, running 109, weight lifting 109. Trashed, time to buy a new one. :laugh:

Honestly that would be my first guess, HRM malfunction before I'd go to health problem. Did you take your pulse manually to confirm?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Silly question but did you make sure all of your info was entered correctly into the HRM?
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you really sure that your HRM is working properly? I have a watch that has a HRM built into it, and my heart rate only goes up to about 100 to 120 when I go walking at about 3 miles a minute. (maybe mine is way off, but my daughters reads about the same for her)
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    did you check your pulse manually to see if the high rate was actually that high?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My HR does the same during a run. I went for a run outdoors the other day and I have not been conditioned for that. My HR was 190-200 the entire time. At one point, it hit 205 (end of my run after a finishing sprint) and i had to bend over & try not to vomit. I felt better once it decreased, however, i was still 150-160 for 30 minutes aftewards (my cardio zone) while walking home.

I however am not conditioned well for cardio. My HR spikes significantly. I'm not sure what to tell you about that, just that I have the same problem.
  • hapilaci2
    hapilaci2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You probably should mention this to your doctor just to be on the safe side. The most important thing, though, is how you feel when this happens. Do you feel tightness in your chest, indegestion, abd pain, shortness of breath, weakness or numbness in the shoulders, arms, or hands? - I know its hard to tell when you are exercising, but if any of these symptoms presnet themselves you should definitely have them checked out. A lot of times a simple EKG can rule out many specific problems, and if that is not enough you can have an echocardiagram done. Both of those tests are non-invazive and relatively quick.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's brand new :S Pretty basic - as far as I'm aware it just reads my heart rate, it doesn't do calories or anything, so presumably it doesn't need setting up? I'm not particularly techy, so it's always a possibility!

No, didn't check my pulse - probably should have done that, but I guess there's plenty more runs to check it out on!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You probably should mention this to your doctor just to be on the safe side. The most important thing, though, is how you feel when this happens. Do you feel tightness in your chest, indegestion, abd pain, shortness of breath, weakness or numbness in the shoulders, arms, or hands? - I know its hard to tell when you are exercising, but if any of these symptoms presnet themselves you should definitely have them checked out. A lot of times a simple EKG can rule out many specific problems, and if that is not enough you can have an echocardiagram done. Both of those tests are non-invazive and relatively quick.

This is key. When I was working out at the gym, I used the heart rate monitors on the equipment, and once I got over 160BPM, I felt like total crap. I was wheezing and my body felt weaker. I'm 29 if it matters. I think the younger you are, the higher you can get away with letting your heart rate get up to.

If you feel fine, try getting a new HRM and see what it says. If you are feeling crappy when you exercise, you should see a doctor.
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options

This is key. When I was working out at the gym, I used the heart rate monitors on the equipment, and once I got over 160BPM, I felt like total crap. I was wheezing and my body felt weaker. I'm 29 if it matters. I think the younger you are, the higher you can get away with letting your heart rate get up to.

If you feel fine, try getting a new HRM and see what it says. If you are feeling crappy when you exercise, you should see a doctor.

yeah i think age def matters bc im 16 yrs old and i feel fine when i work out around 160 BPM.. either that or the machines messed up
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    These were figured for someone 25 years old:

Heart Rate Zone Beats Per Minute
    Maximum Heart Rate 191
    90% Anaerobic 172
    80% Interval Training 153
    70% Aerobic 134
    60% Light 115

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

yeah i think age def matters bc im 16 yrs old and i feel fine when i work out around 160 BPM.. either that or the machines messed up

Uhhhh you have to be 18 to use this website (for liability reasons).
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit short of breath, but nothing else that I recall. I guess that's good! Is there any way to decrease my heart rate? I mean, obviously over time as I get fitter it should lower, but I presume there isn't a actual training program designed for lowering heart rates?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Weirdly I have the opposite problem - my heart rate doesn't seem to get high enough! I can do 1hr interval training on the treadmill, but my heart rate rarely gets above 130/135 - not sure if this is normal, or what it should be ideally. I'm 5' 4'' and weigh around 58kg if that helps...

Thinking I ought to invest in a HRM.

H :)
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have used HRMs in the past and this is why I don't use them anymore. My heart rate would always be really high no matter how slow I was going. Perceived exertion is the way to go for me. It has never failed me. You really should be in touch with how your body is feeling anyway because the body never lies!
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options

Uhhhh you have to be 18 to use this website (for liability reasons).

theres plenty of people on here thats under 18 ;) shhh