Anyone petite trying to lose weight?

Options
yoojinkim561
yoojinkim561 Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys I'm 5.1 tall 120lb. I'm a petite size woman trying to tone up and lose weight.
I've been cpunting my calories and been working out to stay under 1400 calories but still havnt seen changes in the past 2 months. Any suggestions?

Replies

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough. What type of workouts do you do? How many times/week? I'm 5" and got down to 113lbs. and got so weak I couldn't progress in lifting weights and hit a plateau in weight loss. I started working with another diet coach and he started me on a 1600 calorie diet. Now I'm up to 2000
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    You might not be eating enough. What type of workouts do you do? How many times/week? I'm 5" and got down to 113lbs. and got so weak I couldn't progress in lifting weights and hit a plateau in weight loss. I started working with another diet coach and he started me on a 1600 calorie diet. Now I'm up to 2000

No, eating more will not help her lose weight. This is just a guess, but I don't think OP has as much lean mass as you do since she is trying to "tone up".

OP Do you weight your food on a food scale? Are you truly honest and accurate with your calorie intake? Being smaller you might actually have to cut your calories a little more, although you might not.

This. Sadly, if you're petite and sedentary, you just don't burn many calories. I'm 5'0" and now 113 (but probably a lot less muscular than Powerliftingmom!) I think my maintenance calorie number is between 1400 and 1500 on days when I don't exercise - that's what TDEE calculators tell me, and based on my logging and weight loss it seems to be accurate. So for me, I wouldn't lose weight at 1400 calories unless I did a lot of exercise and didn't eat back any of the calories.

If you just want to tone up, I'd recommend staying with 1400 and working on an exercise program (if your exercise isn't much cardio and you burn <300 calories, I wouldn't eat back exercise calories.)

If you really, really care about the number on the scale though, then you might have to go down to 1200 calories a day (or exercise more and eat back fewer calories.)
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »

No, eating more will not help her lose weight. This is just a guess, but I don't think OP has as much lean mass as you do since she is trying to "tone up".

OP Do you weight your food on a food scale? Are you truly honest and accurate with your calorie intake? Being smaller you might actually have to cut your calories a little more, although you might not.

This. Sadly, if you're petite and sedentary, you just don't burn many calories. I'm 5'0" and now 113 (but probably a lot less muscular than Powerliftingmom!) I think my maintenance calorie number is between 1400 and 1500 on days when I don't exercise - that's what TDEE calculators tell me, and based on my logging and weight loss it seems to be accurate. So for me, I wouldn't lose weight at 1400 calories unless I did a lot of exercise and didn't eat back any of the calories.

If you just want to tone up, I'd recommend staying with 1400 and working on an exercise program (if your exercise isn't much cardio and you burn <300 calories, I wouldn't eat back exercise calories.)

If you really, really care about the number on the scale though, then you might have to go down to 1200 calories a day (or exercise more and eat back fewer calories.)

This is me, too, at the moment. 5', 114 lbs, and I have not lost at 1400 calories. I'm precise with counting calories (weighing everything) and do not eat back exercise calories -- that's what gets the scale moving in the direction I would like it to go in. If I eyeball things here and there and don't exercise as much (or hit 10K steps daily), my loss stalls.

Fairly often there is a thread on weight loss for people 5'-ish (you may want to search), and a few people will inevitably write something like you need to eat more and that they lose on 1650 or 1750 calories. I can't even imagine that ... I wish, but that sure isn't me at present.
  • yoojinkim561
    Options
    Hello everyone. Well, I run/walk/jog 30 min un the morning, 45min at night. I eat around 1500 according to this app. I try to eat very healthy. I do weight training 3 times a week and run 5 times a week. (Morning & night). But no changes AT ALL. I tried changing my work out. But not sure if it's working.... I would love to be lean (goal 105-110lb). I'm searching different ways to reach this...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone. Well, I run/walk/jog 30 min un the morning, 45min at night. I eat around 1500 according to this app. I try to eat very healthy. I do weight training 3 times a week and run 5 times a week. (Morning & night). But no changes AT ALL. I tried changing my work out. But not sure if it's working.... I would love to be lean (goal 105-110lb). I'm searching different ways to reach this...

No change in weight regardless of exercise for two months means eating at maintenance calories..

OP do you weigh all food you consume? Being petite and only a few pounds to lose makes all this come down to precision in your logging efforts vs what you consume. If you eat back any exercise calories you could be eating back too many.

I would check the logging first. Changing your workouts are fine, but this comes down to your calories in.

• yoojinkim561
    Options
    Online calculation tells me I should be eating around 1400 calories and burn 600 calories to lose weight and have been following. I really wish I could find a solution....
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    4ft 11