Counting Macros vs Counting Calories

Options
Although I truly do believe that weight loss is calories in / calories out, I have read a few things people have written saying they pretty much quit losing just counting calories and counting macros worked wonders. I'm just wondering if counting macros truly makes a difference. Does anyone have experience or words of wisdom?

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    What usmcmp said. Also, anecdotally, the people in my life who have reduced their carbohydrate intake for medical reasons often lose weight because protein and fat are both satiating, so you feel full on fewer calories.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it's the same reason why Keto diet works. When avoiding carbs and eating more fat and protein, you feel fuller on less calories and therefore are eating less calories. So in the end you are still doing CICO
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It's not a versus.
    Macros expand the system of CiCo.
    CiCo is simple maths (addition/subtraction) that tells you how many calories you still have left to reach your goal.
    Macros tell you which split of fat/carbs/protein these should have. Still it is simple maths just a two-parted formula.

What neither CiCo nor macros tell you is what to eat or when.

So, yes, taking macros into consideration might make a difference, but if you are eating above your TDEE you will gain weight, no matter which degree of perfection your macro-split has.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Counting macros is still counting calories. The difference is the focus on hitting certain macro numbers rather than staying under a calorie goal. Focusing on macros can make a difference in being able to stick to a diet because once you find your sweet spot you'll find you are more satisfied.

This. Protein, Fat & Carbs are all energy sources which means they have calories.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's not an either/or premise
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Macros have calories, so in my opinion 'counting calories' is just another form of 'counting calories' but where you pay more attention to hitting certain macro goals. You may feel more satiated if you change your macro % and that can vary from person to person. So try something for a few weeks and see what you think. Then increase one macro/decrease the others as you see fit to see what works for you. Just keep in mind: don't cut protein substantially and don't totally avoid fat. Your body needs them.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Macros have calories, so in my opinion 'counting calories' is just another form of 'counting calories' but where you pay more attention to hitting certain macro goals. You may feel more satiated if you change your macro % and that can vary from person to person. So try something for a few weeks and see what you think. Then increase one macro/decrease the others as you see fit to see what works for you. Just keep in mind: don't cut protein substantially and don't totally avoid fat. Your body needs them.

Great advice and insight! Thank you!