Processed "Gunk" vs "Clean" Eating

Options
Mandi98U
Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I understand that weight loss comes down to CICO, but I was wondering what positive effects come from cutting out processes foods. I am a college student so I eat alot of processes foods like canned soup and microwavable dinners that are under 300 calories. This is my second time using MFP since I have regained about 90 lbs in a year (after maintaining for about a year and a half) and this time I am struggling a lot harder to lose the weight. I was wondering if eating cleaner helps people drop more weight initially as well as the other positive effects, it can have on the body compared to eating foods like soup. Also what do you consider eating clean (with examples please)? Im also looking for some more healthy convenient foods I can make/keep in my dorm. I currently have carrots and Greek yogurts, cheese sticks, soups, baggies of almonds, hard boiled eggs, cheerios, strawberries,and 100 calorie bags of popcorn.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I do think 'clean' (as clean as I can get it) helps me to lose weight. I still eat 'processed' foods though such as yogurt, cheese, chicory beverage, butter, olive oil.

Its just that many so called 'dirty foods' can be quite high in calories, so I get more miles with vegetables I prepare and cook myself, and fruit is relatively low cal per serving too. I still eat cocoa powder.

idk, it works for some, but bottom line is keeping your calories below what your body needs to function day after day. That leads to weight loss. ;)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    What's a gunk?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A highly processed diet is not good for your health (can be low in vitamins, high in sugar, very high in salt, could contain transfat etc). Plus most convenience processed food is usually calorie dense, so to really feel full, you have to eat a lot.
    But if calories are equal, you lose weight no matter what you eat.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I make sure to drop all my food on the floor before eating it. Gotta make those sickness gains.
  • hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mandi98U wrote: »
    I understand that weight loss comes down to CICO, but I was wondering what positive effects come from cutting out processes foods. I am a college student so I eat alot of processes foods like canned soup and microwavable dinners that are under 300 calories. This is my second time using MFP since I have regained about 90 lbs in a year (after maintaining for about a year and a half) and this time I am struggling a lot harder to lose the weight. I was wondering if eating cleaner helps people drop more weight initially as well as the other positive effects, it can have on the body compared to eating foods like soup. Also what do you consider eating clean (with examples please)? Im also looking for some more healthy convenient foods I can make/keep in my dorm. I currently have carrots and Greek yogurts, cheese sticks, soups, baggies of almonds, hard boiled eggs, cheerios, strawberries,and 100 calorie bags of popcorn.

To me 'clean eating' means limiting processed foods and trying to select foods as close to their natural state as possible. When I started my journey I would eat takeaways 4-5 times per week as well as crisps, chocolate and lots of alcohol.

I think eating a larger selection of whole foods does help you lose weight. For example, eating more fruit and vegetables gives you extra fibre, maintaining gut health and ensuring food is processed well. Eating lean protein (animal or not) helps to keep you fuller and maintain muscle mass (essential, as more muscle = more passive calorie burn). These kinds of food are generally much more micro-nutrient dense as well contributing to better health alongside the weight loss.

For me, it started with cutting out added sugars. Yes it was hard and I got the cravings mentioned by others but after a few weeks that subsides. I still eat chocolate, icecream, crisps and takeaways but these are a treat and I don't often crave them.

TLDR: Foods as close to their natural state are more nutrient rich, less calorie dense, which keeps you fuller for longer making sticking to a diet easier.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I try to eat foods with as few ingredients as possible, most of the time, which is easier for me to do with low carb. However, I've been known to use the Atkins shakes and bars when life gets hectic and I've not seen any adverse effects. That's the only brand of that sort of thing I can use, though, the rest give me stomach pain. In my carb-eating days I often made things like hamburger helper, though, because it was fast and everyone would eat it but I veered away from that mainly because I've found its cheaper to buy the ingredients separately. Plus, making it myself allowed for extras for lunch. No one had any problems with it other than me and the carbs, obviously My kids eat those oatmeal packets in the winter and ramen for lunch in the summer. I say, try it, if you like it and it works for you, use it and ignore the doubters.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    t3f3saijlo51.gif

This should be good, let the games begin.

Is that popcorn clean? :laugh:

Well, he's eating it out of a bucket and not off the floor... So, I vote "yes." :p

But it's in a package so probably not. ;)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    What's a gunk?

5o12jgyhf8qu.jpg

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't eat gunk, though I suspect you have some rapid and very unhealthy weight loss. :#

OP, as others have said, there are benefits to eating "clean" but for fat loss, it is all about the calories.