Processed "Gunk" vs "Clean" Eating

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mandi98U wrote: »
    Also what do you consider eating clean (with examples please)? Im also looking for some more healthy convenient foods I can make/keep in my dorm. I currently have carrots and Greek yogurts, cheese sticks, soups, baggies of almonds, hard boiled eggs, cheerios, strawberries,and 100 calorie bags of popcorn.

Like I said, I don't believe in "eating clean." I do believe in eating healthfully. Many of the foods you list above are, of course, processed, but I don't think that makes them bad (although they would not be "clean" as I understand it.

My preference is to have eggs and vegetables and maybe some cottage cheese for breakfast (but there's nothing special about that, it's what I like).

I often eat a salad with some kind of protein on it for lunch, although I also often have dinner leftovers or prepare food in advance in a way that would not be possible in a dorm room unless you have access to a kitchen. (How do you normally get food -- do you have a meal plan?)

I sometimes eat fruit as a side with meals and always eat a good amount of vegetables and some source of protein.

My dinners are most commonly some kind of combination of vegetables, protein (meat, fish, legumes), and some kind of starch (grains, potatoes or sweet potatoes, or maybe lentils), although sometimes I sub in fruit and don't have a starch.

You are much more limited than I am in a dorm, though.

You didn't regain because you ate soup, also -- you regained because you overate. The question is why and how to eat that would prevent you from doing it. How do you normally eat? Regular meals, any kind of structure? Are you paying upfront for food or are you supplying and preparing all your own?
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This thread will likely turn into a disaster, but my personal experience from shifting to a whole foods based diet and reducing or nearly eliminating processed foods was
    1 An improved digestive system
    2. More overall and more consistent energy levels.
    The improved digestive system was amazing for me.

It really will just vary between people-switching to a whole foods based diet hasn't done anything for me, (my digestive system was already fine/no issues). Energy is the same as well. I've noticed zero difference, except it takes a lot longer to prepare my meals now and the large amount of veg/fruit I now eat (averaging around 900g a day), does nothing for satiety levels. I'm also struggling to get in enough fat/protein. I'll keep at it for a bit longer, but doubt I'll stick with it long term.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    90 pounds in one year sounds like a lot. I'd assume something more than typical overeating is at play there?

This is actually a good point and gets back to whether you understand how you gained. Are you struggling with bingeing? Have you tried logging a typical week to see where the excess calories are coming from?
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Not to derail this thread too much, though that's probably inevitable, but...

I understand why people balk at terms like clean or junk when talking about foods. But in most cases, it's not hard to understand what someone is trying to get at when asking these types of questions.

There will always be people trying to be funny or snarky or whatever else and posts unhelpful things in response to these types of threads... but for those of us who are trying to be helpful, is there a better way to talk about these types of foods? Better terms to use? These types of threads aren't going away, and I do think they merit conversation for many people.

Regarding "clean" foods... is it better to say something like whole foods?
    What about junk food... is there a better term?

When I read the terms clean or whole foods as opposed to processed foods I'm thinking the person is talking about eating foods that are still close to their natural state. Plain white rice is processed but its just rice as opposed to Rice A Roni which contains additives and whatever else is listed in the paragraph on the back. I think some people do better on certain ways of eating for various reasons. There may be a medical reason or it could be that the person in question was eating a "processed" food (such as hamburger helper) that had an additive or ingredient that disagreed with them. I knew a woman once that had a reaction to a particular additive and she had to eliminate a lot of things like hamburger helper and Rice A Roni because of it. I'm NOT (NOT) saying Rice a Roni or Hamburger Helper are inherently bad. I've eaten both and my issue was with the carbs overall, rather than the food itself. This is just what I think people mean when they're asking about clean eating and whole foods and I agree that it would be helpful to come up with some terms that don't cause an otherwise good conversation to derail.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with processed food is that they are loaded with sodium and sugar. While your body needs both sodium and sugar, too much sodium is harmful and foods loaded with sugar are usually lacking in nutrients. It really makes no difference for weight loss, as long as you stay at your goal calories. However, the whole reason processed foods are loaded with sodium and sugar is because they cause you to want to eat more.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I understand why people balk at terms like clean or junk when talking about foods. But in most cases, it's not hard to understand what someone is trying to get at when asking these types of questions.

I actually think it is, and they don't always mean the same thing (OP assuming that cheerios and cheese sticks would be "clean" and not "processed," for example). That's why I try to (nicely and helpfully, I think) point out how very broad the category "processed" is and that it does not map to "high cal" or "not nutritionally dense."
    for those of us who are trying to be helpful, is there a better way to talk about these types of foods? Better terms to use? These types of threads aren't going away, and I do think they merit conversation for many people.

I usually think the person is asking about eating a more nutrient dense diet, to some extent, so like to focus on eating healthfully, but IMO some processed foods (even including things like Quest bars or protein powder or occasional frozen meals if you find some nutritionally sound ones you enjoy) or quick service restaurant meals (like the Pret meals I mentioned or some at Snapkitchen or these salads I like at a local place called Protein Bar or many others) can be useful it making it easier to eat an overall nutritionally-sound diet without it being too overwhelming.

I like to say MOSTLY whole foods, and a nutrition-conscious diet, but it's not like anyone seems to prefer my responses to anyone else's, including the jokes, and I get accused of being anti nutrition as much as anyone.

Lots of people disagree with me, but I think junk food is a fine term and use it. I don't think it includes anything processed, but high cal, not that nutritious foods. I'd probably use it for homemade cookies, however whole the ingredients when I started. And I don't see it as a particularly negative term given how it's mostly used.

Thank you.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I actually think it is, and they don't always mean the same thing (OP assuming that cheerios and cheese sticks would be "clean" and not "processed," for example). That's why I try to (nicely and helpfully, I think) point out how very broad the category "processed" is and that it does not map to "high cal" or "not nutritionally dense."
    for those of us who are trying to be helpful, is there a better way to talk about these types of foods? Better terms to use? These types of threads aren't going away, and I do think they merit conversation for many people.

I usually think the person is asking about eating a more nutrient dense diet, to some extent, so like to focus on eating healthfully, but IMO some processed foods (even including things like Quest bars or protein powder or occasional frozen meals if you find some nutritionally sound ones you enjoy) or quick service restaurant meals (like the Pret meals I mentioned or some at Snapkitchen or these salads I like at a local place called Protein Bar or many others) can be useful it making it easier to eat an overall nutritionally-sound diet without it being too overwhelming.

I like to say MOSTLY whole foods, and a nutrition-conscious diet, but it's not like anyone seems to prefer my responses to anyone else's, including the jokes, and I get accused of being anti nutrition as much as anyone.

Lots of people disagree with me, but I think junk food is a fine term and use it. I don't think it includes anything processed, but high cal, not that nutritious foods. I'd probably use it for homemade cookies, however whole the ingredients when I started. And I don't see it as a particularly negative term given how it's mostly used.

I use it and find it fits with certain foods.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I'm still curious as to how the OP gained 90 pounds in 1 year. Whatever caused that, I don't think the answer lies in 'clean' vs 'gunk' eating.

My first thought is something medical but, of course, I have no real idea. If it is medical what the OP eats may be at least as important as how much.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm still curious as to how the OP gained 90 pounds in 1 year. Whatever caused that, I don't think the answer lies in 'clean' vs 'gunk' eating.

^ This really is a serious issue and I'd be very concerned, personally. I'd be at my doctor's office. Even if "clean" eating helps with the weight gain, whatever caused it was there at one time and may still be there...don't put a band-aid over this, OP. Just my $.02.

And yes, I get what "clean eating" means. The reason I "balk," personally, is that 1. it's a judgment - the rest of us are apparently dirty eaters. 2. It's impossible to grasp. I know people who eat "organic" pasta and say they're eating "clean" because their foods are so unprocessed. Seriously, do you know how many procedures go into turning a hairy, tongue-scratching piece of wheat into "organic" or other pasta? 3. It gives people this giant false hope: I can eat as much as I want as long as it's "clean!" No.