Recently started desk job...

Options
So I recently started a new job that is much better for me chronic illness wise. The downside is that it's a desk job, and the girls I work with have all said they've put on weight since starting.... I've been struggling with losing weight for 3+ years, especially since there's a chance my illness is weight related (it's rare, so not much is known about it).

Fellow desk jobbers- How do you stay active and keep up with your weight loss? I'm hoping once I get used to waking up early I'll have energy to actually move around after work, but right now I feel like I'm just getting home, feeding myself and my animals, and going right to bed most nights.

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a desk job. I get up to refill my water and visit the restroom once per hour and I try to park in the back of the lot to get extra steps in. I only get 30 mins for lunch so I typically just eat slowly and read a bit to relax. I stay at my calorie goal and I also work out at our apartment gym after work for 30-45 mins each day.

As long as you have a calorie deficit, your job won't matter as far as losing weight goes. I exercise because I want to, it makes me feel better and allows me to eat a few more calories than my 1200 goal (I'm very short). Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I exercise before work or after work. Sometimes I take a walk at lunch for ~20 minutes and if I have a meeting with another department, I try to walk to it rather than drive (I work at a big place so this could be a 15-20 minute walk.)

The biggest thing that I see people do in offices that makes them gain weight is eat the junk that people leave out--candy from the candy dish, donuts in the kitchenette, handful of chips from the stray bag on the back table, etc. There's a lot of mindless munching and I'm guessing that a lot of the people I see do it don't even remember eating that stuff when they look back on their days.
  • hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kidd_xdk wrote: »
    So I recently started a new job that is much better for me chronic illness wise. The downside is that it's a desk job, and the girls I work with have all said they've put on weight since starting.... I've been struggling with losing weight for 3+ years, especially since there's a chance my illness is weight related (it's rare, so not much is known about it).

Fellow desk jobbers- How do you stay active and keep up with your weight loss? I'm hoping once I get used to waking up early I'll have energy to actually move around after work, but right now I feel like I'm just getting home, feeding myself and my animals, and going right to bed most nights.

It's a struggle for me I won't lie. I have to watch what I eat every day and force myself to run after work as I don't feel like going home and exercising! Especially in the winter.

I also get really cold so for me, when I'm feeling particularly crap I go to the bathroom (we have large bathrooms) and do a bunch of squats, wall push ups and any other non-jumping full body exercise I can think of. This keeps me active-ish during the day and somewhat warm.

You will get used to the early starts. Try to take a short walk at lunch time, even just 15 minutes as this breaks up the monotony and really ups your energy for the afternoon. If you take transport to work, try getting off a stop earlier on your way to and from work and walking that extra distance, just to keep moving. Best of luck!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk and then get in a walk mid-day. I also try to walk after work 2-3 days a week. With previous schedules I was able to get in a workout in the morning, usually a walking DVD. The biggest issue is the food. You want to keep your calories in check and that can be hard in some offices. The previous building I worked in celebrated EVERYTHING and always with high calorie food always with the attitude that you were rude if you refused. Not that you can't refuse, just saying its a thing.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a desk job. I get up to refill my water and visit the restroom once per hour
    ^this, as well as doing a 1min plank if I can find a spare room (I am getting some mega weird looks)
    jemhh wrote: »
    I exercise before work or after work.
    and this - but can see how animals might make this difficult to impossible.

But yes, be aware of, or stay away from the 'office snacks'. There is always somebody's birthday and all the associated junk food!

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've been working a desk job for about 7 years. It takes a bit of time to adjust to, but I enjoy it. I'm not much of an early riser so I don't exercise before work.

Here's what works best for my schedule (9-5):

- Skip breakfast. I switched to Intermittent Fasting a couple years ago and love it. I'm usually busy at work in the morning, so I just sip my tea and don't think about food. By noon, I'm ready for lunch.

- Pack a lunch! It can be tempting to go out to eat if you have options nearby, but it's cheaper and healthier to pack your own lunch.

- Do your best to ignore work place treats or work them into your daily calorie goal. Easier said than done - sometimes its better just to pretend they aren't there. Or that your coworker probably sneezed into the cookies.

- I pack my gym bag in my car and hit the gym right after work. Or go for a run as soon as I get home. I think it's key to get in your workouts before you hit the couch or start making dinner and getting comfy at home. It's much harder to get off the couch once you're settled.

- Take breaks to walk around the office or walk around outside on your lunch break if you can. Stretching your legs is important!

And remember that weight loss is simply calorie-in, calorie-out. Just adjust your calorie goals to "Sedentary" and eat less since you're moving less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    kidd_xdk wrote: »

Your calorie requirements will be less than someone with an active job...so you eat fewer calories to compensate for the fact that your job is rather sedentary.

I make time for deliberate exercise 6 days per week (usually)...I think this is particularly important for people who otherwise sit most of the day.

I try to make sure I get up every hour and do a quick walk around my office...I work on the third floor, so I take the stairs down to the first and go across the building and back up the stairs on the other side and back to my office. This allows me a little social interaction with staff as well. I also do things like park further away from the building and other venues...I skip on the "rock star" parking most of the time. When I get home in the evenings I'm busy cooking dinner and prepping my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the next day...often some cleaning or a little light yard work...I don't go home and go straight for the couch.
  • jbunky1987
    jbunky1987 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Desk job means home work. I think there is a big chance of being fat because most of the time you have to sit down onto the chair. Even I have had the same issue. I am getting fat gradually. How can I control this?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My typical weekday:

Wake up @ 5:15, feed the dogs & let them out, then get ready for work. Leave home about 6am. I get to work just past 7am. Office does not open til 8am, but this gives me some me time to walk around the office, check personal emails, etc. And by leaving when I do, I avoid school-bus traffic. If I left home at 6:30/6:45 I'd get to work by 8am but spend more time in my car. And one of the dogs will howl (husky) by 5:30 no matter if I'm still in bed or not, wanting to go out.

Lunch hour is noon to 1 - and I typically walk @ lunch and then eat at my desk.
    Leave work @ 5pm. Stop by grocery store, or pick up kid from band practice after school, etc. Arrive home between 6:15-7:15 pm depending on the day and what stops I make.

Once I'm home, I make dinner for the kids, run or walk either in the neighborhood or on the treadmill. Make dinner for me & Hubby. (Sometimes its one dinner for all, sometimes its not.) Generally sitting in bed and watching tv by 9 or 9:30. Go to sleep about an hour later.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I keep healthy snack in my desk, I bring a few cuties and apples (enough for 2-3 days of snacks) and when I feel hungry I grab one of those and keep water at my desk and concentrate on 8 ounces an hour...I am really bad about drinking fluids...I find that breakfast is not a big deal for me but I am a horrible late night snacker so I skip breakfast also and eat a small snack around 10:30 to save most of my calories for later in the day, between breastfeeding a 4 month old and running everyday I get very hungry at night lol.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Desk job for about five years. We aren't able to park in the parking garage next to our building so I park far away and walk in to work. I have a 15 minute morning break, 30 minute lunch, and 15 minute afternoon break where I get outside and walk during all of those. I eat at my desk throughout the day so I can use my breaks and lunch to get moving. I also have a fitbit that vibrates at 10 minutes till every hour to make sure I get 250 steps at the least per hour.

I work 7 am to 3:30 pm so after work I go straight to the gym! It's really very easy to not gain when you have a desk job if you make it a priority.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Desk job for about five years. We aren't able to park in the parking garage next to our building so I park far away and walk in to work. I have a 15 minute morning break, 30 minute lunch, and 15 minute afternoon break where I get outside and walk during all of those. I eat at my desk throughout the day so I can use my breaks and lunch to get moving. I also have a fitbit that vibrates at 10 minutes till every hour to make sure I get 250 steps at the least per hour.

I work 7 am to 3:30 pm so after work I go straight to the gym! It's really very easy to not gain when you have a desk job if you make it a priority.

I forgot to add that I don't mindlessly snack and I prepare my lunch and two snacks the night before so I know it fits into my calories for the day. I feel full longer with lots of protein in my diet so I make sure I have plenty of foods with that.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    MFP calculated calorie goals don't require purposeful exercise for you to lose weight so as long you stick to it you shouldn't need to worry about putting weight on - just make sure your settings are correct if you're more active in your current job than you will be now.

I meal plan and prep my lunches for the week on a Sunday that way I can pre-log a day or two ahead to make sure I stay on track (most of the time :lol:)

In terms of exercise which I do more for health than for weight loss I tend to do a Youtube workout as soon as I get home from work so that it's out of the way. I also walk to/from work (3km each way)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Desk jobs are what they are.. sedentary. I work out before going into work for 90 minutes or more so I don't have to worry about it. I have to get up at 5:30am to do it, and it seems like it's impossible but once you are used to it then it's not so hard to do. I gained probably 80 lbs over 8 years in this desk job, so don't let it happen to you. Now that I've lost the weight I make sure to get my required exercise in before I go to work and on weekends as well.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since you now have a desk job first thing I'd do if I were you is switch you activity level to sedentary if you haven't already. I try to get extra movement in my getting up to fill my water, park farther away from buildings, I also walk 10 minutes of my lunch everyday. I also make a trip to the gym everyday as well. I don't always want too but I feel better for it
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Desk job here - I work out during lunch 3-4 days a week, and try to be more active after work with my family whether it's going for walks or running around in the backyard with the kiddos. As far as eating, I would just adhere to MFP as best as you can. Deskjobs can be boring, so snacking can fill that void. Healthy snacks are key. Good luck to you!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    In addition to a desk job I have physical limitations. I can only walk so far. I follow the calories in / calories out (CICO) rule and eat less than I burn by merely breathing, or walking, which for me is around 1400 calories. Some days I am over that some days I am under that. I find that the act of counting and checking in on MFP every day helps me a lot. I also found that paleo / keto way of eating helps me to stay satiated by what I am eating and gives me a way to politely refuse office treats. I tell people that I have a health issue that prevents me from metabolizing sugar correctly and it gives me heart palpitations (which is true). So, they just leave me alone.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I get up in the morning (most days) and do 20 minutes on the elliptical I own before getting ready for work. I TRY to get up every hour and walk 2 "laps" around the entire building floor, which is right at 250 steps per my Fitbit. I walk 1+ miles before lunch (1/2 hour of walking, 1/2 hour of eating) and I park as far away as I can...time permitting. I have a VERY sedentary job. There is virtually NO work-related reason for me to take my butt out of my chair. You do what you can.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight at a desk job; I regained some when I switched to working from home. I packed my breakfast and lunch and prelogged the calories. I often figured out what I wanted for dinner before I got home and prelogged the vague products, portions to be modified. Yes, there are treats at the office that can make it challenging. I noticed the people who were biggest/gained the most at my office were the ones who ate out for lunch.