Any good advice or tips for a frequent business traveler?

Options
I am out to town on client visits about 3-4 times a month on average nowadays. This is mainly because I am the only person in my department that is relatively young and does not have a wife, kids, soccer practice, or other domestic responsibilities keeping me from it.

I find it very tough to stay on point when on the road, for a variety of reasons. Anyone else in a similar situation that has some tips to share?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Stay in a hotel with a good gym. Eat the same food all the time to keep the calorie counts approximately the same. You really can't go wrong with a salad with say chicken or steak on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I almost always stay at a Hyatt concept of some kind (my boss gets the points). Gyms are normally available, which I do my best to utilize. The main problem is constantly having clients wanting to take me out for lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. I don't want to decline for obvious reasons, but taking me to sports bars with pitchers of beer and plates of hot wings is the bad part.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I travel all the time and I always choose salads or vegetable dishes with meat but stay away from the breads appetizers etc
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I almost always stay at a Hyatt concept of some kind (my boss gets the points). Gyms are normally available, which I do my best to utilize. The main problem is constantly having clients wanting to take me out for lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. I don't want to decline for obvious reasons, but taking me to sports bars with pitchers of beer and plates of hot wings is the bad part.
    You DON'T have to eat or drink them though. That's a choice. I don't drink. People don't buy me drinks when I tell them that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a month isn't "frequent". That averages out as less than 1 day per week. Treat this day as a "cheat" day and moderate the other 6 days that week to ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

Also you could exercise some self control and say no. It is not unprofessional to care about your health.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stay in a hotel with a good gym. Eat the same food all the time to keep the calorie counts approximately the same. You really can't go wrong with a salad with say chicken or steak on it.

You'd be surprised how many calories there can be in a restaurant chicken salad.

Applebee's Crispy Chicken & Cornbread Salad, for example comes in at a staggering 1400 calories, which you can reduce 1090 by getting the Grilled Chicken & Cornbread Salad. TGI Fridays lists their Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette at 1200 calories. The lunch portion is 670.

If you want a low calorie salad at a restaurant, it's going to be a side salad with no cheese and no dressing. Advising someone to just think the chicken salad at a restaurant is a safely low calorie meal is going to have them back on here wondering why in six months they've only lost five pounds, if that.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a month isn't "frequent". That averages out as less than 1 day per week. Treat this day as a "cheat" day and moderate the other 6 days that week to ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

Also you could exercise some self control and say no. It is not unprofessional to care about your health.

He didn't say what the length of his travel times. I used to travel 2-3 times a month...but I was gone anywhere from 1 night to five straight...and five was more frequent than 1.

As everyone has said...use the hotel gyms or pools (swimming is a great workout). Do some walking tours.

Just because you're working on improving health and diet doesn't mean you can't have a beer or a couple wings...just plan for it, figure out where you are on your calories where you can work it in. Get salad instead of fries (watch out for extras on the salad, like cheese, bacon and dressing...the portions on these are frequently double or triple serving size--ask for them on the side. I asked for cheese and dressing on the side with a IHOP Cesar salad one time and they gave me a half cup of each...). Order things grilled rather than fried or battered. Eat half and take the rest back to the hotel or ask if you can get a half order (I don't know about now, but Applebees used to offer half salads...still super high cal but less the a whole...and for lunches, they used to do side salad or soup and 1/2 sandwich...this can keep calories down...I haven't eaten at Applebee's in a long time).

If you're going to chain restaurants, a lot of them post nutrition (online, at least, and you can ask in the restaurant)...use that to make your choices.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When travelling I keep a stash of calorie counted snacks , and I take a lunchbox, so I shop and self cater in preference to restaurants. I find this makes me feel in control and self sufficient. It also saves money to spend on things I like, even little things like guitar magazines and novels. Increasingly, if I want to turn down offers of drinks or foods I just turn them down. Travelling seems to involve lots of walking especially if in an unusual or scenic new place which offsets a lot of mildly stressed or social overeating, some of which seem inevitable. It can be a lonely life travelling to work, so you can learn to take care of yourself and be your own best travel companion.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

He didn't say what the length of his travel times. I used to travel 2-3 times a month...but I was gone anywhere from 1 night to five straight...and five was more frequent than 1.

Good point!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You'd be surprised how many calories there can be in a restaurant chicken salad.

Applebee's Crispy Chicken & Cornbread Salad, for example comes in at a staggering 1400 calories, which you can reduce 1090 by getting the Grilled Chicken & Cornbread Salad. TGI Fridays lists their Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette at 1200 calories. The lunch portion is 670.

If you want a low calorie salad at a restaurant, it's going to be a side salad with no cheese and no dressing. Advising someone to just think the chicken salad at a restaurant is a safely low calorie meal is going to have them back on here wondering why in six months they've only lost five pounds, if that.
    Lol, if the CALORIES are in front of you, why would you exceed them? Not saying to be not smart to double check, just giving an example. Of course then you choose something that's within your calorie range, but a McDonald's grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing is under 500 calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heiliskrimsli
    Options

Lol, if the CALORIES are in front of you, why would you exceed them? Not saying to be not smart to double check, just giving an example. Of course then you choose something that's within your calorie range, but a McDonald's grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing is under 500 calories.

Most non-chain restaurants don't publish the nutrition information for their menus, and your advice could easily lead to someone thinking a salad with chicken is always going to be a lower calorie option. That is not the case.

Assumptions like that lead to people not losing weight as expected, or even gaining it, because they're eating a lot more than they think they are. Then they come back here and ask why they're not losing weight, when they've followed the given advice to just have the salad with chicken.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    Meals (especially with clients): This is all about moderation and good choices- gin & tonic is better than beer if you can hold your liquor.

Tonic water is loaded with sugar making it 120 calories per 12 oz. The calories in a shot of 80 proof liquor aren't going to vary by much, so in the event that I am drinking liquor, I go with something that is mixed with a no-calorie mixer like club or diet soda.

The other thing I tend to do is eat half of the portion at restaurants because typically they're far too large for a single meal anyway, especially if it means I don't have to choke down a light beer and can instead have a beer I like.

One way to avoid using a ton of dressing on a salad is to dip the fork a little in the dressing, and then get some salad on it. You use way less dressing that way.

I also avoid the "basket of bread for the table" or any of the "appetizers for the table" that inevitably get ordered for group meals.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am normally gone for 3 days at a time. So out of a 4 week month, I am gone once every work week. I sometimes do multiple city trips where I am gone for 6-9 days. My last trip was an example of this. I was gone 4 days in the Boston/New England area, and then flew to Raleigh for 3 days afterwards. The rationale being that I can knock everything out in one trip, but I really hate being gone this long if I can avoid it.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I travel for 2-4 days a time 2-3x a month. This is what I do:

-When I'm NOT traveling, I eat below my calories and work out almost every day. Once a week during non-traveling days, I might go out to dinner and I'll have a glass of wine OR a slightly indulgent meal OR gelato...not all 3.

-When I travel, I pack my own stuff for the airplane. Small bags of almonds, turkey jerky and deli meat for protein, fruit, baby carrots. If I'm on a long flight, I will pack a salad for lunch or overnight oats for breakfast if it's a 5 am flight. If it's not liquid it usually isn't an issue going through security. A few times I had the oats confiscated and had to buy something, but oats are pretty cheap.

-I also pack lots of things in my suitcase to keep me satisfied so I won't be tempted during those meals. Protein powder, nuts, dried meat, small squares of dark chocolate (because sweets are my weakness.) I pack measuring spoons and cups so I can make sure I'm not eating crazy portions of the hotel oatmeal.

-I bring workout clothes/equipment and workout most days while I'm away.

-I order very carefully at dinners out but my industry IS food so I do enjoy smallish portions when there's an event that's food related. At a restaurant, I get grilled chicken over romaine with vinaigrette on the side, and am really careful about cheeses, nuts and other fats. No croutons, no bread, no liquor.

This might sound a little extreme, but when I first started this position 2.5 years ago, I slowly gained 10 lbs, and it took a long time to lose it, and following this little "system" has kept me from regaining.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am normally gone for 3 days at a time. So out of a 4 week month, I am gone once every work week. I sometimes do multiple city trips where I am gone for 6-9 days. My last trip was an example of this. I was gone 4 days in the Boston/New England area, and then flew to Raleigh for 3 days afterwards. The rationale being that I can knock everything out in one trip, but I really hate being gone this long if I can avoid it.

I live in the Boston area. Lots of healthy eating options. Try Legal Seafoods or other Legal type restaurant and you can get broiled fish with healthy sides. Research before you go...you'll find great options that are still enjoyable and healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Most non-chain restaurants don't publish the nutrition information for their menus, and your advice could easily lead to someone thinking a salad with chicken is always going to be a lower calorie option. That is not the case.

Assumptions like that lead to people not losing weight as expected, or even gaining it, because they're eating a lot more than they think they are. Then they come back here and ask why they're not losing weight, when they've followed the given advice to just have the salad with chicken.
    A person NOT concerned with their weight loss would use justification for ANYTHING. I see it all the time. People make claims of eating "healthy" all the time and don't lose weight. The point being is that it's still the responsibility of the member to confirm. Lol, if I told someone to do squats for leg strength, what are you gonna say? That they need to make sure they have good knees first? Lol, it's a BASIS for advice. People still need to confirm that it works for them. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When I was traveling weekly, I would go to the grocery store and get lunches/breakfasts for the week and then fit dinner into the rest of my calories. I also subscribed to Daily Burn, its like Netflix for workouts, most of which are done with limited equipment and can be completed in your hotel room.