Fighting the Urge to Binge, support needed!

Options
I'm stressed out at work and in a fight with my boyfriend and I feel like all my support is dwindling. I've worked so hard and am so close to meeting my next goal weight but all I want to do right now is just devour something cheesy and bad for me while sitting in bed. I'm worried that if I give in, I will just give up completely. I don't know why I'm posting this or what I hope to hear from you all in return, I just needed to say it out loud maybe? Admit my defeat?

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am the same way! Maybe take a nap or go for a walk, anything to make the time go by? I sometimes chew gum, it's not quite as satisfying, but it can help.
  • andyzee69
    andyzee69 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My advice is if you want to have something cheesy, then don't beat yourself up over it. I am losing weight, but still have the odd KFC now and then. I just allow for it in my daily calorie allowance and don't go nuts about what I have. It's important not to deny yourself anything, otherwise you just start craving it and that's where I've slipped back in the past.
    I like you have stress at work, so if you need a friend to talk to, add me as a friend and I'll happily be a supporter for you.
  • livvy22890
    livvy22890 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I am the same way! Maybe take a nap or go for a walk, anything to make the time go by? I sometimes chew gum, it's not quite as satisfying, but it can help.

Thanks! The gum/walk actually helped and I felt a little less stressed after a long walk. I appreciated the help!!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You need to develop your 'go-to' snacks for when this happens in the future, it will repeat. I grab a string cheese or cut off a measured wedge and try eat it slowly. Just figure out what works for you and doesn't blow your day.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Find healthy comfort foods. For me, it's roasted veggies - I can toss some baby carrots with olive oil, and powdered garlic, and toss them in the oven for about 20 minutes, and have such a comforting snack - but without having to screw myself over. Another go-to for me is stove-top popcorn with either nothing on it at all, or some grated Parmesan and Good Seasons Italian dressing powder. You are strong - you wouldn't have gotten to where you are if you weren't. Keep it up, and you'll be even stronger!!
  • sweet2def
    sweet2def Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You've kicked butt to get where you are girl! Think of how rubbish you'll feel if you don't meet that goal. For me, I realised that NOTHING is worth that. This is coming from losing a cr*p tonne of weight over three months then emotionally binging for 3 weeks straight and putting it right back on and then some. I'm 7 days back into a new regime an down 3lbs! the old me would have used this loss as a ''celebration'' and clogged my oesophagus with doughnuts and cake but, it's not worth it. I've given up so many times... and finally, after 3 years yo yo-ing, I'm DONE. I've figured, if I'm that tired of starting over from scratch, I need to take some accountability of how I let things make me feel and my reaction to those feelings. Fights, rubbish work days, or feeling ecstatic, food is not going to control me any more....If I can make this decision then you definitely got this!
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can do it! I know you probably don't want to hear this, but get some exercise. Forreal. I went through hell two years ago because of hormones (birth control) and a relationship with a family member bursting into flames. I wanted to eat my troubles, but I turned to exercise instead. Best. Decision. Ever.

It's like getting high legally. Endorphins rush in, and you just feel like this sweaty goddess who can do anything.

Oh, and I think this could help get out some of that negative energy you're feeling. My trainer had me do slams on Sunday, and I felt so awesome afterwards. It was SO cathartic to just slam the ball on the ground as hard as I could -- over and over again. You can find one online, just search "slam ball." Then go outside and slam your cravings/negative feelings into the pavement.

This video shows you how to do it.
    (The instructor is being really dainty with it. If you don't want to have to squat so low, really SLAM it so that you can pick it up on the slight bounce.)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cWghPf9dso0

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You know what, I make cheesy egg whites for under 200 cals that satisfy my cheesy needs! Yum! BUT, that only works if I am feeding a food interest and not an emotional need. Figure out whether you are interested in cheese for it's own sake or as an emotional band-aid, and proceed from there.

I hope the fight resolves soon and well, that you find good support in this thread (yay, you for reaching out,) and that you start feeling strong, stable, and on-track again. *hug*

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • livvy22890
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    You can do it! I know you probably don't want to hear this, but get some exercise. Forreal. I went through hell two years ago because of hormones (birth control) and a relationship with a family member bursting into flames. I wanted to eat my troubles, but I turned to exercise instead. Best. Decision. Ever.

It's like getting high legally. Endorphins rush in, and you just feel like this sweaty goddess who can do anything.

Oh, and I think this could help get out some of that negative energy you're feeling. My trainer had me do slams on Sunday, and I felt so awesome afterwards. It was SO cathartic to just slam the ball on the ground as hard as I could -- over and over again. You can find one online, just search "slam ball." Then go outside and slam your cravings/negative feelings into the pavement.

This video shows you how to do it.
    (The instructor is being really dainty with it. If you don't want to have to squat so low, really SLAM it so that you can pick it up on the slight bounce.)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cWghPf9dso0

THAT IS AMAZING! I've never even heard of slam ball. That looks like the PERFECT exercise to kill stress!
  • livvy22890
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    You know what, I make cheesy egg whites for under 200 cals that satisfy my cheesy needs! Yum! BUT, that only works if I am feeding a food interest and not an emotional need. Figure out whether you are interested in cheese for it's own sake or as an emotional band-aid, and proceed from there.

I hope the fight resolves soon and well, that you find good support in this thread (yay, you for reaching out,) and that you start feeling strong, stable, and on-track again. *hug*

Down 140lbs: My story.

It was definitely an emotional band aid. I've been noticing more and more how and why I turn to food to get through different moments in my life (happy, sad etc.) and I'm trying to get over these moments by really considering why I'm pulling towards "bad foods". If I MUST eat something not so great for me, I'm trying really hard not to binge, just have a single serving and move on.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Noticing is a huge piece of the puzzle. Sometimes I notice, but still binge. But then again, sometimes I don't. My goal is to have more don't than dos!

Here's to us for trying so hard to be healthier emotionally as well as physically! *clinks glasses*