How to maximize weight loss?!?!?! PLZ HELP

Options
Hey everyone,

So I workout 30 mins a day of intense and interval training 5 days a week and eat healthy. I've been doing this for 1 week so far lol. What can I do to maximize my weight loss? I want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Anything I should do? I also drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to ingesting fewer calories than you burn all day long doing everything from sleeping to chewing to typing to running.

Everybody on this board is trying to maximize weight loss at the rate that is right for them. You are not unique. Read through the threads to understand how weight loss works. Sometimes fast loss works and sometimes it does not. Most people who emphasize fast loss over intelligent loss do not do well in the long run.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Weigh all foods and log accordingly. You didn't put the weight on quickly, it won't come off quickly! Be patient :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So I workout 30 mins a day of intense and interval training 5 days a week and eat healthy. I've been doing this for 1 week so far lol. What can I do to maximize my weight loss? I want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Anything I should do? I also drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Eat in a calorie deficit...
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Can u explain what that is? I never really understood it...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day.

Just plug your stats into this website and eat the amount of calories it tells you to. It already has the deficit built in.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Your body uses calories 24/7.....heart, lungs, etc. Then you use additional calories moving around. If you don't move a lot, you are sedentary. My Fitness Pal (MFP) will take your calorie deficit from here. Example: if you choose 1 pound a week MFP takes a 500 calorie deficit (3500/7=500).

If you CHOOSE to exercise you earn additional calories (to eat back) because making the deficit too big isn't healthy. However, calorie burn guesstimates can be generous. Start by eating back 50%, and adjust from there based on actual results.

The speed of weight loss is going to depend upon your current size. Obese people can lose faster....initially. Fast weight loss when close to goal is generally a higher % of existing lean muscle mass loss.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would caution you not to attempt to lose as much weight as fast as possible that will require you to drop calories too quickly, your body will eventually adjust to the few calories and that will be your new metabolic set point. Inevitably you will not be able to sustain a super low calorie diet (Woman this generally is under 1200 and men 1500) and you will quickly increase your calories, you body will still be metabolizing as if you were eating fewer calories and you will gain weight back really, really fast and probably more than you started. You should decrease your calories 2-4% per week and monitor your weight loss and body comp to try not to lose more than 2 lbs or so a week. Goodluck.
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Your body uses calories 24/7.....heart, lungs, etc. Then you use additional calories moving around. If you don't move a lot, you are sedentary. My Fitness Pal (MFP) will take your calorie deficit from here. Example: if you choose 1 pound a week MFP takes a 500 calorie deficit (3500/7=500).

If you CHOOSE to exercise you earn additional calories (to eat back) because making the deficit too big isn't healthy. However, calorie burn guesstimates can be generous. Start by eating back 50%, and adjust from there based on actual results.

The speed of weight loss is going to depend upon your current size. Obese people can lose faster....initially. Fast weight loss when close to goal is generally a higher % of existing lean muscle mass loss.

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

So basically....It says to eat 2100 calories in order to lose 2 pounds a week. Yesterday I ate 1700 calories and only did mild workout less than 100 calories burned. Usually I burn 3-400.

So I have to burn 1800 because I ate 1700 to be in a deficit?
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day.

Just plug your stats into this website and eat the amount of calories it tells you to. It already has the deficit built in.

^^
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

So basically....It says to eat 2100 calories in order to lose 2 pounds a week. Yesterday I ate 1700 calories and only did mild workout less than 100 calories burned. Usually I burn 3-400.

No, 2100 cals INCLUDES the deficit. So you eat 2100 plus exercise cals.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If the app is telling you to eat 2100 calories to lose 2lbs per week, then eat 2100 calories.

If you exercise and burn 100 calories, eat them back to keep your calories at a NET of 2100.

Too low of a calorie intake for your body and you risk losing muscle, along with a host of other malnutrition problems.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

No. Your body uses calories ALL day, not just when exercising. Your body burns calories while you are sleeping, watching TV, brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc, etc, etc. Intentional exercise like jogging makes your body burn MORE calories than normal.

You need to enter your stats into this website, set your activity level at sedentary and eat the amount of calories it tells you to eat. IF you exercise, and burn 100 calories, you can then eat 100 more calories than this website told you to when you did the set up.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

The 2100 is already a deficit. Eat 2100 calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

You did the calculation through MFP, right - not a TDEE calculator? If so, you need to eat 2100 cals + exercise cals to be on target to lose 2 lbs per wk. MFP gives you the calorie target you should hit for the loss you select. It does not consider exercise. Those calories are extra.
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

No. Your body uses calories ALL day, not just when exercising. Your body burns calories while you are sleeping, watching TV, brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc, etc, etc. Intentional exercise like jogging makes your body burn MORE calories than normal.

You need to enter your stats into this website, set your activity level at sedentary and eat the amount of calories it tells you to eat. IF you exercise, and burn 100 calories, you can then eat 100 more calories than this website told you to when you did the set up.

I burn calories by watching tv if I'm in a deficit? What...?
  • Mahdi22
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

The 2100 is already a deficit. Eat 2100 calories.

Do I have to eat 2100? What if in full. Like yesterday I was very full, even in the night. Probably because I had 2 apples, 2 oranges, a slice of watermelon and 12 cups of water lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Living burns calories...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Are you breathing when you are watching TV? Is your heart beating? Then you are burning calories.