calorie burns

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
today after my workout, my polar ft7 said i burned 304 cals. I plugged the average hr and other info into the cal caculatoe on triatholon blog website it came up with 403.

for fun went to mfp database and pulled up aerobics high impact (seemd kinda close) and came up with 434.

everyone else doing what i am doing seem to burn closer to the second to numbers or above.

oh by the way the workout in question is Insanity month 1 , to be more exact plyometric cardio cycle.

so is there something off with my polar, is there something wrong with me, or does my polar just hate me

Replies

• Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    Are your weight age and height settings correct on the HRM?
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Perhaps you are just fitter than the average person. You will burn less calories if you are fit and accustomed to exercise.
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn on your Polar is probalby the most accurate if you've set it correctly cause it's based on your age, weight, height but also your heart as it goes up & down while you are in the throws of burning fat. Your heart rate is determining just how hard you, as an individual, are working and the other sites numbers don't have that individuatlity:-)
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Are your weight age and height settings correct on the HRM?

yep just updated the wight yesterday
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i don't think i am all that fit, i mean at 195 on a 5 foot frame how fit can you be?

though i do know my heart rate does not go near as high as it did doing the same activities as 6 months ago,
    or even 1 month ago.

maybe i am like those little cars ...efficiant LOL (thats a joke)

i know i should not be as hung up on silly numbers on a little device, but sometimes i just thing hey i am working my *kitten* off and that person just recorded 500 cals, and i am only burning 300 what gives
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If all of your settings are correct and updated in your Polar. I wouldn't worry about what the other site numbers are. I have a Polar HRM also and that is all I go by. I don't even pay attention to what the machines at the gym say anymore.
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i don't think i am all that fit, i mean at 195 on a 5 foot frame how fit can you be?

though i do know my heart rate does not go near as high as it did doing the same activities as 6 months ago,
    or even 1 month ago.

maybe i am like those little cars ...efficiant LOL (thats a joke)

i know i should not be as hung up on silly numbers on a little device, but sometimes i just thing hey i am working my *kitten* off and that person just recorded 500 cals, and i am only burning 300 what gives

You have been working out for a while, so yes, your body is reacting to that-- including acting more fit. I get scared watching the insanity videos, and if you are working through them, you are more fit than the average bear. It's more important to have accurate calorie counts from your HRM than comparing yourself to someone else who may not be as fit, and is burning more calories because their heart rate is through the roof because they are struggling.

It seems like things like insanity are to change your body, not "just" calorie burn. You are changing your body, don't get too hung up on the numbers. I would get a little frustrated when I felt like I was dying during the 30DS, because I was "only" burning about 230 calories-- but my shape is changing, I lost 2 inches, and I feel better when I walk away from the workout.

that's my 2 cents;)
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    i will admit at this point my legs give out way before my breath does, i do not have to stop and actually catch my breath much. when i have to stop its usually because my legs give, usually on plank moves, but i did figue out where the bruises on my kness come from