Looking for Recipes high in fibre and/or iron

Options
cdkelly
cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
I've noticed a pattern of where I fall short every day and that is with getting enough fibre and iron. Does anyone have any go to recipes they like (for any meal of the day) that will help me get closer to my daily requirements?

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Add some spinach to almost any dish-it has both and minimal calories
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Fibre: apples (with skin), black beans, chia seeds. Any fruit or veggies help.

Iron: red meat is the best source.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup, raspberries (frozen added to yogurt), beans (bean burrito), apple, Metamucil (real sugar variety for me personally). Corn flakes for 50% of daily iron intake, or any cereal really
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Raisin bran. It has both.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Raisin bran. It has both.

Not cheerios? ;)
  • cdkelly
    Options
    Add some spinach to almost any dish-it has both and minimal calories

I love spinach and wish I could but I have had kidney stones twice now so I'm avoiding it.

Thanks for the ideas. I definitely don't eat much fruit. I need to add more apples. I also don't eat red meat much. I have it in my head it's not that great for you? Am I wrong? Raisin bran...YUM!

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. If you want iron, red meat is the best source. It's more bioavailable and plentiful than any plant source.

That said, I'd only worry about increasing iron intake if a blood test said you should. Cooking in cast iron (particularly with a bit of acid, like tomato or lemon) also adds iron to food.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Potato skins are pretty nice for both iron and fiber. A couple of large ones should be enough and are 200-300 calories sans filling, but are really delicious and satisfying. Fill it with some mix of beef and vegetables and you've got yourself a meal that should have you at more than 80% of your needs on both accounts.
  • cdkelly
    Options
    Potato skins are pretty nice for both iron and fiber. A couple of large ones should be enough and are 200-300 calories sans filling, but are really delicious and satisfying. Fill it with some mix of beef and vegetables and you've got yourself a meal that should have you at more than 80% of your needs on both accounts.

Nailed it! Yum! Thank you!! I will definitely be trying that.

• asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good ideas. Gluten free for me is making things tough. Would love friends for support !
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Both high in fiber and they have iron..not sure if it's a lot or not. I love them! Red or green, make soup, lentil loaf/burgers.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Not sure about fibre but 100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, it tastes similar to steak and costs less.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey taco salad with black beans
  • gen39
    gen39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit and vegetables.

Broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, all very high in fiber.

Cook on a cast iron skillet, iron problem solved.
  • ksyrnyk
    ksyrnyk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi cdkelly, I am going to PM you about an idea :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder. It's loaded. Iron is best absorbed with some vitamin C, so I do a fruit and cocoa smoothie for iron.