VEGAN

I am so excited bc 4 days ago I went vegan ( I was vegetarian for 2 years before this).
If anyone has advice or good recipes please lmk.
Also will I lose weight???

Replies

• SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    I recommend the Veganomicon, it's an excellent cook book
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    I was vegetarian for 13 years and have been 99% vegan for almost a year. I've lost almost 50lbs. But it's strictly from a caloric deficit. However, my skin completely cleared up and my hair is great! I love kite hill almond cheese and just mayo products. Also the beyond burger is about the best thing ever! Good luck
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    You won't lose weight by going vegan. Just calorie count for that. But I do have a ton of recipes. I'm in my 6th year 100% plant based and vegan. Let me know what you would like recipes for. I'm happy to share!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

I will 2nd this. I eat vegan meals several times a week and this is my favorite cookbook!
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    I've been vegan for nine years and have gained and lost weight in that time. It's all about calories. I love to invent recipes now but starting out I relied on cookbooks so if you have a library card go check out every one of Isa's books (ok maybe not the baking ones though they are awesome). Appetite for Reduction is great because it has nutritional breakdowns and is geared toward lower calorie meals.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Make sure to supplement the nutrition you can't get from meat and dairy. It's not hard and very affordable. Generally it's B12 and Iodine. It depends on your diet.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    But to answer your actual question about food.. here's my vegan food pinterest board. I mean, about 3/4 of the recipes there are things I just gaze at cause they're so pretty, but it's got a few of my staples as well :)
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    I'm 95% vegan. Yes you can lose weight esp if the main change will be removing eggs, cheese, butter etc. If most else remains the same, then your calories will be much reduced coz you've removed calorie dense fatty foods.

But if you'll just replace those calories with vegan alternatives, then no, you won't lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm 95% vegan. Yes you can lose weight esp if the main change will be removing eggs, cheese, butter etc. If most else remains the same, then your calories will be much reduced coz you've removed calorie dense fatty foods.

But if you'll just replace those calories with vegan alternatives, then no, you won't lose weight.

When you say one won't lose weight if one chooses vegan alternatives to eggs, cheese, and butter, do you mean they won't lose weight *as a result* of going vegan? Or do you mean that they won't lose weight at all. A vegan who consumes anything would be able to lose weight if they have a calorie deficit.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Oh don't forget to take a b-12 supplement.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    onegreenplanet has loads of really easy vegan recipes. I love the Thug Kitchen recipes as well - always turn out fabulous.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member

I thought this was a joke.
    EVIL+DEAD+003.JPG