30 Day Shred killing my knees

Options
Hi! I'm new here. I've been doing the 30 day shred for about a month, but missed about two weeks due to illness and vacation. I'm currently on level 2. My problem is that the lunges and squats are just killing my knees. I have no history of knee problems or any previous injuries. I really love the video and want to complete the program. Am I going to injure my knees? Or should I just work through the pain? I've been taking a few days off when my knees start to hurt. I'd rather stay consistent with the program, but I'm worried about injury. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    My knees started getting sore on lvl 2. I just backed off of going so deep on them. Seems to have helped greatly!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I would say with something like that, don't just push through the pain. Joint pain means something different than regular muscle pain. JM is good about doing warm ups for the knees, maybe do a few minutes of extra knee warm ups? And maybe do the beginner version, which is easy on the knees because the lunges and stuff aren't as deep. If it keeps hurting, I would ask your dog for some advice.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi there ... it kills my knees to so instead of lunges I do punches.. or find another y exercise to do during that part.. same with jumping jacks.. I cant do those either.. if its pain you're feeling don't push yourself.. because you could really hurt something.. you can mold it to what you need :)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    A few people have mentioned this on here before. I think in the majority of cases, checking their form usually corrected the issue. Lunges should never hurt the knee if done correctly - try doing it in front of a mirror or getting someone to watch to make sure you are doing it all right xxx
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My knees were hurting from jumping jacks. I stopped doing them and exchanged them for other cardio moves.

Make sure your knee doesnt extend past the tip of your toes!!! That can make them hurt REALLY badly. Thats a big issue for a lot of people - also - dont go as deep into the lunges/squats as to be easier on your knees.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Make sure your knees do not go forward over the front of your foot when you are doing the squats/lunges - that's a common beginner mistake and it can lead to serious injuries. Also, with squats, do not lower your butt below your knees - that is too deep and can cause knee injury. Think 90 degree angles - that's what you want to aim for. You should be able to still see your toes when you look down. Or like some other posters said, do alternate exercises. Whatever you do, don't push through that kind of knee pain because you can do some lasting damage.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen with me. I checked my form & couldn't see anything wrong so I have just not been bending to where it would start to hurt. Definitely don't push it. I also read this article this morning not sure if it will help you:

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/Why-Your-Hip-Could-Solve-Your-Knee-Pain.htm?cmp=17-7-993
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm finding when I do the 30DS I have to modify all jumping and lunges or the next two days are rough. I have knee issues so it wasn't a surprise. I toughed it out for a few weeks at first and only caused so much knee pain that just walking was a problem and I had to lay off all exercise for a while.
    I'm in agreement with others on here that it's not good to "push" joint pain.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred until I started seeing a physical therapist for an unrelatd injury. She was shocked that I was doing jumping jacks and other plyometric moves with my injury. The static squats and lunges weren't a problem - the moves help build up strength in the legs and knees - but the jarring/jumping moves were bad news. She encouraged me to give them a rest for a while and see how I felt, and she was right - when I stopped doing those kinds of moves my knees did get better. I susbutituted other types of cardio for a while, and then ultimately just incorporated the moves I could do into my regular gym workout. I've been doing the 6 week six-pack lately and find it to be an excellent workout with less moves I need to alter.
  • ZoeMJ
    ZoeMJ Posts: 10
    Options
    My knees also hurt with level 2. I follow Anita with the lunges.
  • parkie3
    parkie3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! The way the program is designed, it really doesn't give your body/joints a chance to rest a day or two. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I think I will alternate with some different exercises.