My Protein Problem

Options
So I have been really good at keeping under my calorie count and logging in all of my meals for the past few days but I have noticed that I have been going over in my protein count. Could anyone please look at my food diary from maybe yesterday and today and tell me where I went wrong!! Thanks all bunch for all of your help!:smile:

Replies

• foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Unable to view your diary! You have to open it so we can see it!:smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're using MFP's default setting (15% protein for your calories) then you don't have a problem. Barring underlying health issues... I am aimed at 35% protein for my daily goal.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Going over in protein should never be a problem... MFP gives me 46g of protein a day, and I average 60-70g at my nutritionist recommendations. Is there a reason why your concerned??
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your macro-nutrient goals to any percentage you'd like. From the My Home tab click Goals and set your custom goals.

ETA: You CAN actually have too much protein. Too much of anything is always a bad idea. However, our kidneys can safely process 200-300 grams of protein per day and I doubt you'll be eating that much. :)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I wouldnt be concerned with going over your protein either. You can do 1g per your body weight. I eat up to 150g a day :happy:
  • hopesOFskinny
    Options
    you can never have too much protein so eat as much as you want. plus this site sets the protein counts low to begin with. good luck to you!
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's default setting (15% protein for your calories) then you don't have a problem. Barring underlying health issues... I am aimed at 35% protein for my daily goal.

Can you change these percentages from the default?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    you can never have too much protein so eat as much as you want. plus this site sets the protein counts low to begin with. good luck to you!

This is absolutely untrue and can be a harmful way to think. Too much protein in your diet is very unhealthy and is very hard on your kidneys, can lead to calcium loss from the bones (osteoporosis), among a host of other things, not to mention weight gain.

Americans are generally considered to eat about two to three times more protein then the body actually needs. It's really not good for us.
  • NickAmrine
    NickAmrine Posts: 34
    Options
    the my fitness pal's protein % is too low... really you should eat just as much protein as you do carbs
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is actually .8 grams of protein for each kilogram of your body weight. And the recommendation IS 15% protein for everyone.
  • suggagina
    suggagina Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eat more Tuna, very high source of protein
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To change your macros go to
    my home...goals...change goals... custom (to set % yourself) set what you want and click save. Enjoy the more realistic goal numbers for your eating habits.

As for what's "recommended" and what's not, it really depends on what info you're looking at and which USDA date of reference you're using. I aim for 1 gram per pound of goal body weight as it works for me it's something I can work towards and when I do more strength training I'll consider increasing it even more.

But one size does NOT fit all (for RDA's) its a general number for an average member of a given population at a certain point in time. I recall growing up when eggs were bad for you. Then they realized that dietary intake of cholesterol (ie eggs in part with everything else they include) doesn't have much effect on your blood cholesterol count. I eat about a dozen WHOLE eggs a week and my numbers are just fine
    Then it was fat that's bad... now it's just trans fats that are evil and get your omega 3's... now it's carbs.... carbs are evil... sure the refined stuff in all this processed food that is so readily available and cheap? yeah I've got concerns about that too.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you are going over it unless you find you're getting 35-40% or more of your daily calories from protein-you probably don't need that unless you are a bodybuilder. You should make sure you get the protein from a variety of sources (meat, eggs, legumes, etc) and space it out throughout the day-a little with each meal.

If you think you are eating too much, look at your diary and see what you can switch around to lower the protein and raise the carbs (I assume you're getting fewer than the allowed carbs since you are high on protein). See if you feel better, more energetic, or more sluggish. Adjust things until you find the right balance for your body. We're all different. I find more protein helps keep me feeling full, along with fiberous carbs (veggies) while starchy carbs or refined carbs make me more hungry and kinda worn.