if everyday were like today........

Options
Hi MFpals,

so am fairly new here, and am loving the energy and the people, the vibes, and the logging. ( ok, easier to say I am loving it all so far...)

question ,

when you log you daily food, and finalize it for the day, or complete the food logging, ( sorry I forgot how they properly call that)

anyway, when you finalize it, it always says this :smile:
If everyday were like today, you would weight" blablabla" in 5 weeks.

did any of you , who actually lost weight can confirm that it is somewhat accurate?

Replies

• curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ha! I wish I could concur but my days fluctuate - some days I'm in the green - some in the red.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes this would be accurate. Assuming your logging your calories and burn accurately. However, as the above poster said - everyday is different. If you do exactly the same thing everyday for those 5 weeks, and everything is logged accurately, that should be your result.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and report back?

I never close out my day any more. That little auto-generated blurb is one reason why.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I actually put a note in my calendar for 5 weeks from now saying "Do you weigh ____??" Haha. I'll report back.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to make sure I completed an entry every day. In January I constantly got "If everyday were like today, you would weight 146lbs in 5 weeks.".

Its now coming to the end of April, and I just hit 147lbs which is my lowest. That took 14 weeks.

Yikes, hate to see that in writing. 14 weeks to lose 10.4 lbs. In all honesty though, my weight loss has only just begun recently thanks to learning more about CICO, and 16:8 IF.

Anyways, back on topic. Say you had eggs for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and fish/broccoli for dinner. When you hit complete entry, that is just telling you that if you ate the EXACT same thing, for the next 5 weeks, you would weigh ___ .

No one that I know eats exactly the same thing day in and day out.

So no, I don't believe that is accurate.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Hi MFpals,

so am fairly new here, and am loving the energy and the people, the vibes, and the logging. ( ok, easier to say I am loving it all so far...)

question ,

when you log you daily food, and finalize it for the day, or complete the food logging, ( sorry I forgot how they properly call that)

anyway, when you finalize it, it always says this :smile:
    If everyday were like today, you would weight" blablabla" in 5 weeks.

did any of you , who actually lost weight can confirm that it is somewhat accurate?
    I expect the "If everyday were like today, you would weight" blablabla" in 5 weeks." to be WILDLY inaccurate.

Just a note on how it is calculated.

Calculated BMR (basal metabolic rate) is a simple formula based on height, weight, age and gender.

Take your calculated BMR and multiply by your stated activity level (1.2 sedentary to 1.8 super active) to get anticipated calories burned per day.

Note: this is an estimate as there a lot of things that can affect metabolic rate.

Next, take the number of calories consumed in the finalized day. Add the anticipated calories burned per day (from BMR) and you get the daily calorie deficit or surplus.

Multiply this deficit (or surplus) by 35 and you get the projected calorie change over 5 weeks.

Fat provides a certain number of calories (3,500 calories per pound or 37,000 kilojoules per kilogram). Burn that number of calories over any period of time and that fat should be consumed.

So your calorie change over 5 weeks can be used to determine expected weight change.

Expected weight change is only a very rough guide.
    - You will seldom eat the same calorie count every day.
    - Calculated BMR is almost always wrong (often slightly, sometimes wildly)
    - Activity level in BMR s a constant (and daily activity never is)
    - Metabolism makes adjustment over time (it can get used to a lower calorie intake)
    - Your body can consume calorie.deficit from sources other than fat.
    - The calculation ignores the energy required to consume foods (some are easier to digest and convert into energy than others)

Since there are so many factors involved, your best guide is to track your progress over time. You can then work out what your actual calorie consumption will need to be. Without tracking (recording and reviewing), your chances of making any goal are slim to none.

There is no one size fits all in this weight management game.

In short, since your mileage may vary. track your mileage.

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    I used to make sure I completed an entry every day. In January I constantly got "If everyday were like today, you would weight 146lbs in 5 weeks.".

Its now coming to the end of April, and I just hit 147lbs which is my lowest. That took 14 weeks.

Yikes, hate to see that in writing. 14 weeks to lose 10.4 lbs. In all honesty though, my weight loss has only just begun recently thanks to learning more about CICO, and 16:8 IF.

Anyways, back on topic. Say you had eggs for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and fish/broccoli for dinner. When you hit complete entry, that is just telling you that if you ate the EXACT same thing, for the next 5 weeks, you would weigh ___ .

No one that I know eats exactly the same thing day in and day out.

So no, I don't believe that is accurate.

It's easy to eat the same amount of calories every day. In theory, if you do, as I said in my post above - then yes that is accurate... based on the assumption you've logged everything accurately.

I have basically the same thing for lunch every day and roughly the same amount of calories for dinner, even if food varies. My outlier is exercise calories. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
  • Mackattack72
    Mackattack72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get hung up on the in 5 weeks statement. Take it more as compliment that you had a good day or a reprimand that you didn't do so well. My days fluctuate and I've lost 20+ lbs since the beginning of the year. I've had far more good days. Currently I'm more in a maintenance position after reaching my goal. Just try to get that good acknowledgement everyday and you will be on the right track.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It has been kind of true. But I take it with a grain of salt. I take it as been in a good day and hope I continue on the path I'm on.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is, sometimes not so much. I use it as a motivator, when I first saw I could be my goal weight in five weeks I was all smiles!!
  • beachme14
    beachme14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I look forward to seeing the number it spits out - I don't click on it if I'm over calories for the day;). For me it's motivation. Whether it's accurate or not. If MFP thinks I can do it, then so do I
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I actually just tried this. I reached the number 5 days after the 5 week guesstimate. I'm surprised it was that close and really expected it to be way off. I don't put too much thought into that, it was for fun for me to see.