Favorite meal and where do you get it? (Often a challenge for me, as I travel for work)

Options
Hi there, so I am fairly new to this, one week in. I travel for work 6-8 months of the year, and often find that eating out contributes to my weight-gain. Sure a lot of it has to do with my own personal choices, and that is a habit I am trying to break - making new healthier choices is in my best interest. Previously I would eat anything and everything I wanted and not give it a second thought - I mean, I had an expense report with no limitations, so why not? Well, now I want to be smarter, make better choices - still eat good tasting food, but know that I am being smart about it.

I'm curious what are some of your favorite restaurants? Now that nutritional information is provided it makes things easier for us.

What are some recommendations of your favorite dining out meals? What do you like to eat when you do dine out? (fast food or dine-in)

I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.

- M

Replies

• tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Where do I start :|
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    no fast food - never

salad with grilled chicken, dressing on the side, can be found in a lot of places

I always carry plastic spoons for a trip to a grocery store: yogurt and an apple > fast food
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Keg for dinner and DQ blizzard on way home
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I second grocery stores instead of fast food! For snacks grab some fruit, cut veggies, some raw or dry roasted nuts, a cheese stick, a little pack of crackers, a small amount of lunch meat from the deli, etc. For more substantial things you can hit the prepared food section for a salad, or a little wrap or sandwich. (Always read the labels. Avoid high calorie dressings and add-ons.) Otherwise you can turn your snack food into a meal with the addition of a roll from the bakery section, or some crackers, etc.

If you must, Wendy's has baked potatoes (order without toppings or just sour cream on the side) and chili that are decent. Fast food salads tend to be soggy, overpriced, and over-caloried. I usually just go with a single hamburger or a grilled chicken sandwich, leaving off mayo and other high calorie spreads.

Restaurants vary so much that it really depends on where you're going. But again, beware entree salads. Sometimes they're covered in high calorie garbage and don't even taste that great. It's best to order something simple, like grilled chicken/fish or a simple sandwich with a side of veggies. If you find that everything on the menu is too much for you, see if you can make a meal with side orders. (For example, beans, rice, baked potato, side salad, steamed veggies, broth-based soup.) Be as nice as possible to your server, especially if you are modifying an order.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope some of it is useful! Good luck!
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have stopped eating out entirely.

Besides all the extra calories, it was getting expensive. I am including things like Starbucks. Plus, I have grown uncomfortable eating amoung large groups of strangers who sometimes stare or let their children play under tables.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who suggested grocery stores. That is my go-to place to get a meal when I am out or travelling.

I also carry almonds and a meal replacement bar or shake with me always.

I am super picky and actually hate going to restaurants...when I do I am that person who orders off the menu typically. I usually get a couple of side dishes (plain baked potato, steamed vegetables, etc). I balance out my nutritional requirements later or before going to the restaurant.
  • jjinteso
    jjinteso Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Macaroni Grill once a week and order the chicken marsala until the one by me closed. Now I go to one when I am travelling. I go to BJs Brewhouse once a week and have a bison burger with no bun. I love sashimi and have that about once a week. I will also go to a steakhouse like Longhorn and get a 6 oz. sirloin with a double order of broccoli.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good bets for me - even at a fast food place - are grilled chicken (if it's a sandwich I usually only eat half the bun) or fish. Ask for condiments on the side (you'd be surprised how much mayo or BBQ sauce they apply). I do still order burgers or steaks if I have the room for it in my day, so I try to plan ahead if I know I'm eating out later by scoping out the menu online in advance and entering it in my diary early so I have to work around it. I generally don't eat fries anymore - just not worth it for me - so I'll request that they sub steamed veggies, fruit or a salad instead, or even baked beans or cottage cheese if those are options. Drink a lot of water before and during the meal and eat slowly so you don't end up overstuffed.

Do your research in advance so you know what food options are available in a new place and what menu items would be good. Trying to do the guesswork once you're already seated at the restaurant is asking for a stressful ordering experience.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A lot of groceries have pretty good salad bar options, especially places like Whole Foods. You can hand pick exactly what goes into your salad. Stay away from the Hot bar - usually a lot of pasta and meats drowning in sauces which can be source for a lot of hidden calories.
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely sushi. It's my favorite. Sushi and seaweed salad.

• slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Poutine (my bad choice) Canada or Alaska

If I were on an expense account, I'd opt for grilled salmon
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Some places are better for eating out than others, e.g. California has all kinds of Asian restaurants. I like Thai and Indian food but I don't feel like cooking all that, so I am eating out. Otherwise, I cook my fave food myself whenever I can.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If the company's paying, go for the Whole Foods salad bar and fix yourself a healthy and delicious $20 salad with lots of veggies, whole grains, and protein.

Laughing Planet Thai bowl with tofu and brown rice.

Someone mentioned the BJs chain -- good option with a good low-cal menu.

Chipotle salad with grilled chicken, no rice, no cheese, no sour cream. Boss can spring for guacamole!

Wendy's has a good chicken apple salad.

Doesn't Chili's have a low-cal menu?

Grilled chicken or fish and veggies in any form at any restaurant -- skip the mayo, creamy sauces, cheese, and bacon.

Broiled filet mignon with veggies at any restaurant -- skip creamy sauces, cheese, and bacon (if you red meat; elk and venison good meat choices also)

Choose vinaigrette for salads and avoid butter.

Avoid anything deep fried.

I guess I'm hungry. Just at a most unsatisfying unripe pear. :|
  • d8nni
    d8nni Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get mondito burritos from Taco Del Mar with no rice or cheese, that's about 450 cals. I'm addicted to a salad place in Seattle - Evergreens, they do a salad named El Sombrero that's about 450 too, including a generous amount of their heavenly cilantro dressing. I get a little pissy if I can't figure out how I'm going to get at least one a week. (Long lines, have to strategize when I'm going have time to wait.)
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffet at Giant Panda.