Plateau after plateau...so sad

Options
I've been focusing on health and losing weight since January 2nd of this year and at first everything was going according to plan, but the past 4 months, I keep hitting plateaus where i don't lose any weight for a month and then I'll lose 5lbs, then hit another plateau for a month and so on and so on. I've tried eating back my exercise calories and that just made me gain weight, I've tried lowering my calories, and that did nothing, and I tried switching up my workout routines so my body didn't get used to one thing, but that did nothing as well. For a month I stopped working out very hard and obviously that didn't do anything either. Last Monday I decided to try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I did it Mon-Fri, did only 30 minutes of cardio on Saturday, then today, I did 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical) and half of the JM shred (I was just so exhausted, I couldn't finish the shred this morning.) I plan on continuing with the shred because I've seen before and after pictures and I know it works, but I weigh myself everyday (if I don't, I will go off course) and the scale went up a couple pounds after a few days of starting the shred. Then today I weighed myself and I'm at the same weight I was at a week ago. After a month of not really working out hard, but still eating super healthy, and starting a new workout, you would think I would have lost at LEAST a pound, but no. I really don't get it. Why won't my body lose weight anymore? I don't starve myself, but I don't overeat. I eat tons of vegetables, some fruit, lots of whole grains, protein and rarely do I treat myself with something decadent. I'm getting so unbelievably frustrated. I had a friend who basically starved herself (only eats about 700 calories a day, and lost almost 100 pounds. I don't want to take that route because my goal is health and weight loss. I also make sure to drink at least 10 cups of water a day to stay hydrated. Why do I keep hitting these plateaus? I'm not asking for a 5lb weight loss every week, but I don't think it's unfair to expect with how active I am, and how healthy I eat to lose 1-2 lbs a week consistently. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not going to give up, but I feel like crying every single day knowing how hard I'm working and that nothing is happening. I know by doing JM's shred that I will build muscle and lose fat, but it may not show a big difference on the scale, but I'm 233lbs, so I really don't want to just build muscle and never lose a pound. I can't stay 233lbs and be a size 8 one day...it's got to come off right? Also, I always write down everything I eat, so It's not like I forget to write something down and I'm actually eating more than I think.

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor for a really thorough physical? You should make sure there are no underlying issues.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had my thyroid checked and that was fine. I do sometimes wonder if I have PCOS, but I've read that the only real cure for that is getting healthy and losing weight, which is what I'm trying to do. I might make an appointment if nothing happens after another month. But I don't understand why I would have lost 42lbs this year if there was something wrong.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary, are you measuring your bodyfat and inches or just weight? You just said you eat a lot of whole grains. Grains aren't designed for human consuption. It's a man made food, it's not natural for humans.
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue. I have changed my workouts, varied the amt of calories I consume, been to the dr and had a complete physical (everything, including thyroid, is good). Doctor and I discussed my workouts and food choices and she couldn't find a reason either. Sadly, she just said "keep trying and eventually you will get there.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You gained weight on the Shred because your muscles have retained water. I started it 9 days ago, and gained about 2 pounds after the first workout. I upped my water intake until I started losing weight again (for me, it was 140 ounces. I put about 1/4 a teaspoon of salt in my 16-ounce bottle and drink that about 30 minutes prior to my workout now). After day 7, the water weight dropped off and I was .1 lighter than before. Then this morning, after day 8 (which was yesterday), I weighed myself again and I was down another .3 pounds. Just give it some time... don't freak out...

If you're really worried about it, try mixing 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water. It's a natural diuretic and will help flush some of the water weight. Your muscles just want to have it so they can heal. :)

Good luck!
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When you start working out after not working out for a while, you'll gain weight. When I did the 30-day shred after a few months of not having a gym, I gained initially and ended up dropping 5 lbs below my starting point in the last week.

Eventually with consistent exercise, the muscle you build will start burning more weight in fat, and you'll see your weight go down. You'll still have plateaus from time to time (and I feel for you--my last plateau was 6 months long).

I suspect that the new workout is what's causing your plateau now, but for future reference I also read this blog post on plateaus and it really made sense to me, so I saved it for my next plateau: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html IIRC, it talks about how any change will take a while before you see results, so have patience. I know it's hard. Good luck
  • jillyt85
    Options
    I wish I had started measuring earlier, but I just took my measurements yesterday to see if that will help. I don't know how to use the tool to measure fat, but maybe I can get my husband to help me with that. How are grains not meant for human consumption? Maybe I don't actually know what a grain is. Are we not supposed to eat brown rice, or quinoa? I know quinoa isn't technically a grain, but I count it. What about oatmeal? How is one supposed to get any carbs if they don't eat grains? Again, maybe I have the word wrong, but when I say I eat whole grains, I just mean basmati rice, quinoa, and sometimes whole wheat bread. I don't fill up on stuff like pasta (not even whole wheat pasta).
  • herzo1852
    herzo1852 Posts: 12
    Options
    Definitely go see your doctor, there could be a thyroid type issue or some other imbalance that is throwing off your weight loss - also, my healthcare provider has some great plans to get you started on weight loss too.

Don't give up, but also, don't believe those before and after pictures - they are frequently there to entice you to try a diet product, be it exercise equipment or a supplement or a DVD etc.

One thing I would say is you are possibly exercising too much and not eating enough of the right foods - my doctor told me if you do that your body goes into starvation mode and will just plateau and your metabolism will get all screwed up.

Try asking your doctor for a referral to a dietician or some kind of weight loss program - the weight is staying on because your body is possibly over working.

Don't feel like a failure either, you're doing awesome, you're making the effort to figure out the WHY of why you are not losing weight while still exercising and eating right - you have the hard work done, now it's just time to figure out what your body is trying to tell you.

Good luck and don't give up!
  • awtakontrl
    awtakontrl Posts: 31
    Options
    i'd say eat more calories, healthy ones. i eat at least 6 times a day. went from eating 1400 to 1700 calories a day and find that it helps me lose weight. i dont know what ur friend did, but i find it very hard to believe that someonr an lose so much weight on only 700 calories a day (without a crazy diet). your body needs food,otherwise it will go into starvation mode, where ur body holds on to food, making u gain weight.

i'm not an expert, just passing along information from experience. i have lost over 80 pounds with exercise and healthy eating. it doesnt happen overnight. it took me 1 1/2 years so far, but i'm doing it the right way. it could have happened faster, but i like to eat my favorite things here and there :)

idk if this helps, but i hope so! good luck!
  • jillyt85
    Options
    melissa_w Thank you for all the replies. It really helps to see I'm not alone. I never knew that about the apple cider vinegar. I'll have to try that. What does adding salt to your water do?

SageLikeTheSpice thanks for the link.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hang on, are you losing 5 pounds a month? If so, where is the problem?
    Have you graphed your weight loss since you started? I tried this, just charting my weight on (or near) the 11th of each month and I can see a steady downward trend that is harder to see with daily/weekly weigh ins.
    Perhaps this is just the way your body reacts, it might not be a plateau each time but just your own special monthly cycle.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started measuring earlier, but I just took my measurements yesterday to see if that will help. I don't know how to use the tool to measure fat, but maybe I can get my husband to help me with that. How are grains not meant for human consumption? Maybe I don't actually know what a grain is. Are we not supposed to eat brown rice, or quinoa? I know quinoa isn't technically a grain, but I count it. What about oatmeal? How is one supposed to get any carbs if they don't eat grains? Again, maybe I have the word wrong, but when I say I eat whole grains, I just mean basmati rice, quinoa, and sometimes whole wheat bread. I don't fill up on stuff like pasta (not even whole wheat pasta).

Yes I know what you're saying. Think of when humans where evolving. What is their natural instincts? Kill animals to eat, fruits and vegetables are eatable. We're talking about preagricultural. Rice and oatmeal was created because of agricultural. Before agriculture there was virtually no disease. I know someone is going to bring up that ancient mummy found with heart disease. She died after agriculture was created.

Eating carbs inhibit fat burning. Humans are designed to run on fat, no carbs. Protein can be converted to glucose(blood sugar) in the body. This is why fat stores can get pretty big. It’s energy for later use. If you’re burning carbs when you burn the fat? I know someone will say “you need carbs to burn fat” so my reply to that. That’s what gluconeogenesis is for. The carbs you need can come from fruits and vegetables.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    melissa_w Thank you for all the replies. It really helps to see I'm not alone. I never knew that about the apple cider vinegar. I'll have to try that. What does adding salt to your water do?

SageLikeTheSpice thanks for the link.

Because I'm also a runner, I do it because it's hot and I sweat more. It helps you hold water a little bit longer than an average glass so that you're less likely to dehydrate. It's not something I practice all of the time, but I do when temperatures are above 80 degrees. That's why things like Gatorade and Propel Fitness Water have sodium in them. It helps you hold the water a little bit more to get the most out of your drink.

I wouldn't add it if you're only doing the 30 Day Shred, unless you're doing it in a place that is not climate controlled.

But the Apple Cider Vinegar could help you. It's not unhealthy as long as you don't do it regularly (maybe like once a month around TOM, that's when I find it most useful).