Stair Master: taking steps two at a time?

Options
I am looking to grow my booty without the monotony of squats. I run and do the elliptical, but just started utilizing the stair Master. Will taking the steps two at a time help increase the mass of my glutes? I definitley feel it in my quads, but not so much in my hamstrings or glutes.

Replies

• megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    There are a variety of techniques for walking on a stairmaster, including taking 2 steps at a time, walking sideways (one side at a time) with and without cross overs and/or w/lateral leg lifts, wide and narrow jump squats and walking backwards . The best video I've seen describing and demonstrating these variations can be found here:

http://www.organicauthority.com/this-crazy-stairmaster-workout-routine-builds-a-beautiful-booty/
  • Royal1954
    Royal1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You might try pushing off the step more with your heel than the ball of your foot. If you do this also consider alternating between heel and ball stepping using some pattern of your choosing. Unfortunately those escalator stair macines do not have much landing room on each stair to get your heel on it. But yes skipping a step will help target your glutes if you push more with the heel. The other style stair steppers (non-escalators) have larger foot pads which allow better options for heel placement.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you want bigger glutes you should be doing medium to heavy work not cardio, I see waaaay to many women use extremely light weight and they just won't see the same hypertrophy results as doing 5-12 reps of a medium/heavy weight.

Deep Squats, Deadlifts, Hip Thrusts, hip extension exercises basically. I like the "back" extension machine which really is a hip extension machine.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bloodsy wrote: »
    If you want bigger glutes you should be doing medium to heavy work not cardio, I see waaaay to many women use extremely light weight and they just won't see the same hypertrophy results as doing 5-12 reps of a medium/heavy weight.

Deep Squats, Deadlifts, Hip Thrusts, hip extension exercises basically. I like the "back" extension machine which really is a hip extension machine.

I'd also like to add single leg squat variations and lunges to this great advice.
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • jbitakis
    jbitakis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to get bigger glutes. By "deep squats" do you mean going all the way down to where your butt is hitting the calves?
    Also, what are hip thrusts and hip extension exercises?
    Also, what about step ups (18 inches high) carrying 25lb weights?
    Or leg presses, going as far down (or back towards your chest) as possible. Because my knees hurt when I do deep squats.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You should be doing isolated glute work if you want to grow your butt. Run Strong Curves. I wouldn't waste my time trying to do the stair master 2 steps at a time.
  • jbitakis
    jbitakis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Best Isolated Glute work? By the way, what about using the butt blaster machine. It is basically kickbacks with weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jbitakis wrote: »
    Best Isolated Glute work? By the way, what about using the butt blaster machine. It is basically kickbacks with weight.

Once you start to straighten the leg, you significantly reduce the amount of flute involvement-- like 30% or more. If you are doing a hip extension movement to try to work the glutes, you want to keep the knee flexed at 90 degrees. So it really depends on how a particular machine movement is designed.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Best glute workout is mountain biking...uphill. Seriously. It's way harder than anything in a gym.