Trail runners- Some questions.

Options
Hi all.
So, I am now head over heels in love with trail running. I live in Virginia near the Chesapeake and ,as every summer, we will be having days of >90% humidity and millions upon millions of mosquitos. Some questions for you:

1.) What sunscreen do you recommend? I have had skin cancer so this is important to me.
2.) What bug spray/lotions/potions do you use to keep the mosquitoes and ticks away?
3.) The trail I run is along a marshy area. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I am really freaked out at the possibility of running into a snake. That's silly, right?
Yeah, I thought so.
4.) I would dearly appreciate any tips you guys have! I'm sure there are things I'm not prepared for simply because I'm a novice.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm a Florida mountain biker, not a trail runner, but as I ride in a steamy tropical jungle I think I can help with a few of these.

1) Bullfrog Marathon Mist is my favorite. It goes on with a bit of a tacky feel, but it's very sweat-resistant and lasts a long time.

2) I use Deep Woods Off Dry to take care of mosquitoes. However, few repellents are effective against ticks. For them, the best I've found is using permethrin repellent that you spray onto clothing ahead of time. You let it dry before wearing, and it's good for about a month and a half, even through washings.

3) I've come across many snakes, including the time I put my foot down and brushed the nose of a pygmy rattlesnake. They're scared of you too and will try to escape before biting. As long as you don't mess with them, you'll be fine.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT_
    RUN_LIFT_EAT_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My trails here in AZ are usually devoid of mosquitos and ticks, so I can't help you there. As far as sunscreen, I use a spray-on sports type. I'm darker skinned, and don't burn as easily, so you'll want to find an SPF more suitable to you.
    I've run across numerous rattlesnakes. It definitely helps you practice both you High AND Long jump skills. :p
    I've learned to slow waaayy up when anything that resembles a twig is laying on the trail. Most of the time they ended up being snakes. Just like the gentleman above me said, I leave them alone. They don't want to hurt you, and are usually just passing through. I may catch a quick pic or vid, and then take off.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!
    I have one more question- What sunglasses will stay put during outdoor exercise?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    For your question 2) also check in at the local drug store. Bug repellent are sometimes rather region specific (what works where I live (central Europe) might leave the bugs where you are doubled over laughing... which might actually also be effective :tongue: ). Pharmacists usually have a pretty good handle of what's effective for a given region-critter and what not.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just to go in a different direction... a cool runner's hat and arm/shoulder coverings might be more effective than sunscreen.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We must live close! I think I might run through the same trails as you. I've been wondering the same things, especially the bug spray... those bugs will eat you alive! I've never seen a snake yet.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In regards to the sunscreen, I received a list of good sunscreens from my dermotologist. Many broad spectrum sunscreens use compounds which break down upon exposure to UV, so they become less effective as exposure time increases. The micronized zinc oxide sunscreens do not have this issue, and some have additional stabilizers for the UV absorbing compounds so they remain effective longer. My personal choice is the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreen as it's readily available. The micronized zinc oxide sunscreens seem to be harder to find and are more expensive, but being a mineral sunscreen, they do not break down upon exposure to UV light.

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/sun/helioplex-+technology.do

For long trail runs (20+ miles), I'll also put a spray sunscreen in my pack to reapply halfway. It's faster and easier to apply when you are sweaty. I also wear a hat with a shade on the back.

I'm not sure what the snake situation is like in your area, but here with the wet winter we've had and the start of spring, snakes have been more common. I damn near stepped on/over a rattlesnake at my recent 50k that was sunning itself on the trail. The folks in my trail running group have seen quite a few snakes as well. They don't want anything to do with you, but it pays to be mindful out there.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use avon's face sunscreen and a hat. when hiking it is a hat with a drape over my ears and neck. I sweat a lot and my sunglasses always end up with dried sweat on them, so I prefer the hat if there is no snow. I also wear long sleeves and pants if I'll be out more than a couple hours. The trick to sunscreen is to let it soak in before you go out and sweat. So, 30-60 mins before you go out is preferable.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Bullfrog makes a clear, sweat-proof bug spray/sunscreen combo that I like. And I wear a ball cap. Do a tick check when you get home.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [1] hat, face powder, sleeves covering at least shoulders, store-brand SPF 30 on my uncovered arms, hands
    [2] Permethrin-treated clothes (you can buy it in a spray bottle) & picaridin. (Last thing I need is for repeated DEET exposure to slowly dissolve my hammock over the years until I fall through it one day).
    [3] Watch where you step I guess. My understanding is that they pretty much leave you alone unless you accidentally step on them or something.
    [4] Bring moleskin, compass (know which direction(s) your car/nearby roads are if you get turned around)(having a map too is even better), some emergency first aid unless it is a very highly travelled route - something to bandage a cut and maybe some styptic, advil, an ankle wrap, a small emergency bivy or emergency blanket (it gets cold fast if you are [1] sweaty [2] immobile [3] near/at dusk), emergency whistle. (This is all stuff that will fit in a medium-large fanny pack).
  • lilcmac22
    lilcmac22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Trail runner from Georgia here who has encountered many snakes. My last run was a king snake and copperhead. Most snakes in the southeast are going to try a to get away from you when they sense you coming. Striking is the last resort in their defense systems (unless you are dealing with a cottonmouth). Stay on the trail, close to the middle if it is a wider trail, and watch where you are going. What really helped me was learning about the snakes in the area so when I see one, I will know the best way to proceed.