Can stick to training but always fall off diet!

Options
erinlane93
erinlane93 Posts: 170 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I currently weight train 4 times a week and have a boxing class once a week also. I love training but I'm finding it difficult to stay on plan with my diet.

Any suggestions?

Xxxx

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What's your current eating plan?
  • erinlane93
    Options

Basically IIFYM and calorie deficit
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    In what way do you stray from your diet?
  • erinlane93
    Options

Like I can do good all day and we are just like should we order in hahaha
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    erinlane93 wrote: »

Do you pre log and meal prep? Having food prepped, at least partially, helps. Plus, if you want to achieve your goals enough you'll make choices that work with your goals.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you order in because by the time you get in you don't want to prep, then invest in a slow cooker so you can dump stuff in in the morning and its ready when you are. Other than that there are plenty of options such as fresh filled pasta which are not too high in calories and can be prepared very quickly. As others have said, pre-logging is the key. Also plan ahead and have fresh salads and stuff available.
  • erinlane93
    Options

Do you pre log and meal prep? Having food prepped, at least partially, helps. Plus, if you want to achieve your goals enough you'll make choices that work with your goals.

No I don't pre log but that's such a good idea!! I'm definitely going to try that thank you!
  • erinlane93
    Options
    mazdauk wrote: »
    If you order in because by the time you get in you don't want to prep, then invest in a slow cooker so you can dump stuff in in the morning and its ready when you are. Other than that there are plenty of options such as fresh filled pasta which are not too high in calories and can be prepared very quickly. As others have said, pre-logging is the key. Also plan ahead and have fresh salads and stuff available.

Will also try this. Thank you!
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are ordering in, something which helps me is to order "just one thing". It might be a calorie bomb thing, but ordering "just one thing" makes me really think about what I want most and helps trim it don't so I don't blow my weekly deficit out the water! Also makes me enjoy it more I think. Might not work so well with pizza cause one pizza is big haha, but for other stuff it works quite well! I also tend to have a smaller breakfast and lunch because I like a hefty dinner whether home cooked or order in.

If you've got a freezer also, I tend to batch cook things like bolognese, curries etc and freeze portions - so if I want a speedy yummy dinner I can microwave that and just cook up some quick pasta / rice / veg easily for a quick dinner. You can use the recipe function on MFP and just put in how many portions you make, and then log a portion each time.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I can easily eat out or order in and and stay within my macros. :)

And I do otherwise often pre-log. That does help, although if I am "surprised" by "let's get lunch out" on a weekend or something, as I said, it's no problem. I can even eat at McD's if I have to (don't like McD's much, though) and stay within my macros. No problem. My kids recently begged for McD's because it had been quite a few months since we'd been there. I had a lettuce-wrapped grilled chicken club and a yogurt parfait. Done!

I can stay within my macros ordering not-so-textbook-diety too (i.e. grilled chicken). Once in a blue moon we'll order up a pizza for delivery. I can eat a slice or two. I just log it as accurately as I possibly can. One slice of pizza from where we order is rarely above 375-ish calories. Add a little salad, and again, voila. Dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I currently weight train 4 times a week and have a boxing class once a week also. I love training but I'm finding it difficult to stay on plan with my diet.
    Your diet is what you eat. It's very difficult to fall off one's own diet. You'd have to stop eating.

Basically IIFYM and calorie deficit
    That is the simplest plan imaginable: You just eat what you like in the quantities you need.

No I don't pre log but that's such a good idea!! I'm definitely going to try that thank you!
    But the plan is too simple when it doesn't have any concrete elements. You have to think ahead and figure out what you want to do and how you're going to accomplish it. This is where prelogging comes in. This will also prompt you to get the foods/ingredients/time you need for the meals you have planned. When you have everything you need to make a meal you want to eat, ordering in becomes pointless.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, me and partner love a takeaway. A few tips I use that seems to help:

- prepare dinners in advance, even just chopping stuff the night before, anything that makes cooking easier.
    - having a snack around 4pm (protein shake + piece of fruit etc), this seems to cure the urge.
  • hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too love a good takeout. I find if I plan my meals ahead and do a large grocery shop at the beginning of the week, I'm less likely to order in as I feel guilty wasting the fresh food I've spent my hard earned money on.

I save one meal a week (usually Saturday) for either a nice meal out or an order in. By eating well through the week, I can splurge a little on the weekends and not feel too guilty about it.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, unfortunately...
    My problem is I work out alot, eat slightly under my calories, and don't eat back my exercise calories. So obviously after a few days I'm starving, I eat ALL THE FOOD, and the cycle continues. Urgh.

Meal prepping helps a ton. I get lazy after a long day at work and by the time I get home, having food already cooked and portioned into containers is wonderful.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    are you falling off your "diet" because you have unnecessarily restricted foods?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same issue here lately. What's helped me in the past though is asking myself WHAT I want to eat... then I plan around that and make it (for often half the calories of eating out).

Typically it's when I'm not in the mood for anything specific that I end up unsatisfied and go over.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I plan my day around the largest meal of the day which is dinner with my family. I know that morning what we are planning to eat for dinner.

If you are doing take out, you get get to know the calorie amount in those meals after logging them a few times (restaurant may have online menu and nutritional values posted as well). So plan your breakfast, lunch and snacks around saving these cals or pre-log.

If you change your mind on what you are eating, just order or eat calories within those xxx calories that you saved or already pre-logged. You can always change what you eat, just not the calorie amount.

• Jerseyyy78
    Jerseyyy78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I plan my day around the largest meal of the day which is dinner with my family. I know that morning what we are planning to eat for dinner.

If you are doing take out, you get get to know the calorie amount in those meals after logging them a few times (restaurant may have online menu and nutritional values posted as well). So plan your breakfast, lunch and snacks around saving these cals or pre-log.

If you change your mind on what you are eating, just order or eat calories within those xxx calories that you saved or already pre-logged. You can always change what you eat, just not the calorie amount.

I do this too... It def helps
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is also my ideal way of eating. It's flexible. I am not strict against eating out or having some junky foods in moderation. I believe if you are reading the nutrition labels and making good choices then you are fine.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    This used to be an issue of mine as well until I switched my goal to only losing .5 lbs a week. Feels less of a 'diet' since I can still enjoy a bit of my favorite foods, everyday even!