Sugar or sweetener??

Options

Replies

• alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan of sweeteners, there's a lot of 'bad' in them and a lot I don't think has been studied or found.
    Use sugar, slowly start to use less.
    Say you use two teaspoons then in each tea use:
    Two,
    Then two smaller heaps
    Then one and a half
    Then at least get it down to one!
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to have sweetener in my coffee, then I started spending a lot of time at my (then) partner's house and he only had sugar. It got to the point where I tried sweetener again and it tasted rank! I still have sugar in coffee but limit the amount of coffee I drink - it's a treat now as opposed to a daily (or more) habit.
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)

Erm.... honey is sugar and last I checked, at least around these parts, sugar (the granulated white stuff sold as sugar in convenient 1kg packages) is simply pulp from sugar beets. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a natural product too....

Also, what health issues exactly are you talking about?

EDIT: for clarity's sake
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    well then if we must get pedantic about it...fine.
    stevia is too sweet almost sickening...xylitol causes bowel issues and is poisonous to dogs/cats erythritol same bowel issues as xylitol as it is a sugar alcohol as well.
    Neither stevia nor erythritol causes bowel issues in most people unless they eat really big quantities or are allergic. Xylitol can be a problem for some people though. Whether you like the taste of stevia and whether you think xylitol might pose a risk to your pets are for you to decide, but most people wouldn't call those side effects.
    and no sugar doesn't have as many calories as all mentioned.

honey has 62 calores per tbsp, sugar has 42....
    If you look back at what I posted, you'll see this:
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Compared to all non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.
    Honey is not a non-sugar sweetener; it is mostly made up of sugar and that is where its sweetness comes from. Sugar does have more calories than all the non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.

This discussion was posted in the weight loss section, so it's a drawback if a food has a lot of calories. And for most people, dental health is also important.

lol..you really want people to use something other than sugar don't you...

and again if you want to get into details erythritol is a sugar alcohol...aka sugar that is found in many energy drinks, naturally occurs in some fruit and fermented foods but apparently when found in other foods is considered a GMO as it is ultra processed.

Erythritol is a four-carbon sugar alcohol or polyol that contains about 60 percent to 80 percent of the sweetness of table sugar.

The WHO actually says that based on the definition of GMO that Stevia and Erythritol fall into that category of a GMO

and because you need more Erythritol there is common occurrence of digestive issues esp in children.

Stevia is just ick and falls under the GMO umbrella too.

I personally don't care about GMO issues but some might.

and using these products does not mean you will lose weight it's just an expensive substitute for sugar which in moderation just like anything else is well...fine.

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I like sugar...or Stevia. I just found the box of stevia packets for like $1.50. Convenient. I just don't care for the taste of Splenda or Sweet n Low, and nutrisweet messes with my stomach. You could also try honey, molasses, or maple syrup
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sugar is horrible. Avoid whenever possible IMO.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »

Does that mean you avoid all fruits, veggies, and other carbs?
  • menotyou56
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »

I eat some veggies. No fruit. That's a lot different than drinking added sugar in a beverage though.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sweetener because it's lower calorie and I don't need as much as sugar.
  • kclaar11
    Options

I eat some veggies. No fruit. That's a lot different than drinking added sugar in a beverage though.

Not to your body. The rest of the components aside (fiber, protein, etc.) sugar is sugar to your body.
  • kclaar11
    Options
    Nothing particularly "bad" about sugar. Just higher calorie than say Stevia. Personally, the different taste of any artificial sweetener doesn't bother me so for calorie purposes, I go with it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nmlbp5sjnmo9.jpg

Sugarless fruit in a bottle. Lol
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.

This is a big reason why obesity is such a big epidemic here in the US. I haven't paid much attention to the calories in my drinks until recently. In the US if you get a med. Mcdonald's meal with a drink it can exceed your calorie requirement for the DAY. We are talking about 1,000+ calories a MEAL. It's insane when you think about it. I've been getting kids meals at the drive through and cutting my portions in half and taking it home when I eat out. I have to be very aware of it or I'll easily go over my calories for the day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I hope you avoid milk and cheese and other milk products too then.

Carrots, onions, sweat potato, corn, peas, beets, winter squash, tomato (not really a veg), peppers, fennel, cabbage, turnip, green beans, egg plant, summer squash (boiled)
  • menotyou56
    Options

Not to your body. The rest of the components aside (fiber, protein, etc.) sugar is sugar to your body.

Well I'm doing keto not zero carbs. I think I can lose the 100 plus pounds I need to lose just fine on what sugar there is in broccoli, cauliflower and avocados without harming my body.

It won't happen on sugary drinks though.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Which is better?? I know neither but I need something in my tea!!!

Whichever works and tastes better to you . . . and whichever one works into your calorie and macro targets better.

Personally, I prefer sugar in my tea but I use sweetener in everything else.
  • kclaar11
    Options

Well I'm doing keto not zero carbs. I think I can lose the 100 plus pounds I need to lose just fine on what sugar there is in broccoli, cauliflower and avocados without harming my body.

It won't happen on sugary drinks though.

Keto, weight loss, and sugar are not inherently linked. Keto does not go hand-in-hand with weight loss. You can gain weight on Keto, lose weight drinking sugary drinks, et cetera. If Keto works for you, great, but that has nothing to do with the thread or weight loss in general.