Abs workout

Options
Hello,
This is my first time here and I don't know if I will get any replies, but it's worth the try.
I started working out more serious about 3 weeks ago, and I've seen great results on my arms, back, chest and shoulders. A little on the abs. I've watched videos from different prospective sans points of view, but I don't see the results as fast as the other parts I mentioned before.
So my goals for that part of the body (abs) is to lose the love handles and have visible abs.
I usually do planks, crunches, I elevate my knees/feet while I hold my body up with my arms. Love handles haven't changed a bit. :(
Any advise on what exercises should I do. I'm also in the process of cutting and I'm almost at the point where I want to be (weight wise)
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Rather than picking exercises by body part you should consider finding a workout program that incorporates all body parts. The compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press) all work your core due to the need for bracing. Picking a full body program helps with the abs more because you'll be building the full foundation for those muscles which makes them show up quicker than ab exercises alone.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also, if you get to your goal weight and aren't where you want for body composition you may need to cut further or consider recomposition or bulking. Body composition goals don't necessarily happen at a weight we pick initially.
  • juceniro
    juceniro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice. I'll look into that instead.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Visable abs come with low body fat. Typically below 15% is when people really see them. If you have fat covering them you just need to go into a caloric deficit to lose weight to reveal them.

I would still do some ab work while losing weight though. Crunch and planks are good i would also include some hanging leg raises.
  • juceniro
    juceniro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you.