Sugar or sweetener??

Options

Replies

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I prefer real sugar. Artificial sweeteners though may be less calories, tend to have a higher concentration and can make you crave more I have pcos, I don't need any more help in craving sugar. So if its something I want I will just have regular sugar/coconut sugar/brown sugar. whatever it may be I choose to use.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.

This is a big reason why obesity is such a big epidemic here in the US. I haven't paid much attention to the calories in my drinks until recently. In the US if you get a med. Mcdonald's meal with a drink it can exceed your calorie requirement for the DAY. We are talking about 1,000+ calories a MEAL. It's insane when you think about it. I've been getting kids meals at the drive through and cutting my portions in half and taking it home when I eat out. I have to be very aware of it or I'll easily go over my calories for the day.

pop/soda isn't the only culprit.

for example 1 cup of apple juice
    113 calories
    28 grams of carbs (24 from sugar)

1 cup of mountain dew
    110 calories
    31 grams of carbs (all from sugar)

1 cup of coke
    100 calories
    26 grams of carbs (26 of those from sugar)

1 cup of redbull
    45 calories
    11 grams of carbs 10 from sugar

1 cup of unsweetened OJ
    110 calories
    24 grams of carbs (20 from sugar)

As for drinking 64 oz of something....I do that with water every day...my "cup" is 24 oz and I add nesfruta to it so it's like drinking juice...no one says a word about that and how is that possible.

People are fat because they take in too many calories and don't move enough...period can't blame just one thing on it like "pop".
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Sugar is horrible. Avoid whenever possible IMO.

Does that mean you avoid all fruits, veggies, and other carbs?

I eat some veggies. No fruit. That's a lot different than drinking added sugar in a beverage though.

Not to your body. The rest of the components aside (fiber, protein, etc.) sugar is sugar to your body.

Well I'm doing keto not zero carbs. I think I can lose the 100 plus pounds I need to lose just fine on what sugar there is in broccoli, cauliflower and avocados without harming my body.

It won't happen on sugary drinks though.

Keto, weight loss, and sugar are not inherently linked. Keto does not go hand-in-hand with weight loss. You can gain weight on Keto, lose weight drinking sugary drinks, et cetera. If Keto works for you, great, but that has nothing to do with the thread or weight loss in general.

The OP asked for opinions on whether to use sweeteners or sugar in a drink. So I gave the OP my opinion.

I fail to see how my opinion on the subject has nothing to do with this thread, but yours does of course.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I eat some veggies. No fruit. That's a lot different than drinking added sugar in a beverage though.

Not to your body. The rest of the components aside (fiber, protein, etc.) sugar is sugar to your body.

Well I'm doing keto not zero carbs. I think I can lose the 100 plus pounds I need to lose just fine on what sugar there is in broccoli, cauliflower and avocados without harming my body.

Keto, weight loss, and sugar are not inherently linked. Keto does not go hand-in-hand with weight loss. You can gain weight on Keto, lose weight drinking sugary drinks, et cetera. If Keto works for you, great, but that has nothing to do with the thread or weight loss in general.

The OP asked for opinions on whether to use sweeteners or sugar in a drink. So I gave the OP my opinion.

I fail to see how my opinion on the subject has nothing to do with this thread, but yours does of course.

opinion is one thing but you said you wouldn't lose weight drinking sugary drinks which in fact is false...

It won't can happen on sugary drinks though...there fify
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Seeing how the question was which is better and it is in the weight loss section, I would say pointing out that neither is "better", but that sweeteners can keep calories down has everything to do with the thread. When the OP said she needed something for in her tea and your response is "sugar is bad; avoid it", how is that helpful at all?
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.

This is a big reason why obesity is such a big epidemic here in the US. I haven't paid much attention to the calories in my drinks until recently. In the US if you get a med. Mcdonald's meal with a drink it can exceed your calorie requirement for the DAY. We are talking about 1,000+ calories a MEAL. It's insane when you think about it. I've been getting kids meals at the drive through and cutting my portions in half and taking it home when I eat out. I have to be very aware of it or I'll easily go over my calories for the day.

pop/soda isn't the only culprit.

for example 1 cup of apple juice
    113 calories
    28 grams of carbs (24 from sugar)

1 cup of mountain dew
    110 calories
    31 grams of carbs (all from sugar)

1 cup of coke
    100 calories
    26 grams of carbs (26 of those from sugar)

1 cup of redbull
    45 calories
    11 grams of carbs 10 from sugar

1 cup of unsweetened OJ
    110 calories
    24 grams of carbs (20 from sugar)

As for drinking 64 oz of something....I do that with water every day...my "cup" is 24 oz and I add nesfruta to it so it's like drinking juice...no one says a word about that and how is that possible.

People are fat because they take in too many calories and don't move enough...period can't blame just one thing on it like "pop".

Oh I probably drink that much water too but that's over a whole day in multiple glasses or a bottle with a screw top. These massive drinks containers are supposed to be consumed in a short amount of time right? Or they will go flat. Otherwise why are they served with a straw?

Saying that, I can easily drink three or four pints of beer on a night at the pub. It just means I need to pee frequently! The difference is I am also getting a buzz. With high calorie non-alcohol drinks there I don't see the appeal. Each to their own though :)
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)

1. Sweeteners are not bad for health.
    2. Sugar does not inhibit fat loss or make you store fat.
    3. Honey is sugar

Please just stop

Hahahaha ok... soooo
    1. http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners?amp

http://www.medicaldaily.com/4-dangerous-effects-artificial-sweeteners-your-health-247543?amp=1

2. Sugar will not make you store fat if you do an activity right after...or 2-3 hours later.. Unless your metabolism is really high..

3. Honey is natural ... of course it is much better than an artificial sweetener ... it is natural!

:smile:
  • AnastasiaGrs1
    AnastasiaGrs1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)

Erm.... honey is sugar and last I checked, at least around these parts, sugar (the granulated white stuff sold as sugar in convenient 1kg packages) is simply pulp from sugar beets. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a natural product too....

Also, what health issues exactly are you talking about?

EDIT: for clarity's sake

http://www.medicaldaily.com/4-dangerous-effects-artificial-sweeteners-your-health-247543?amp=1

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners?amp

As I said..it may...not will.. I am not an expert, but I try to stay informed
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

3. Honey is sugar

Please just stop

Hahahaha ok... soooo
    1. http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners?amp

2. Sugar will not make you store fat if you do an activity right after...or 2-3 hours later.. Unless your metabolism is really high..

3. Honey is natural ... of course it is much better than an artificial sweetener ... it is natural!

https://examine.com/nutrition/artificial-sweeteners-is-the-evidence-as-sweet-as-these-substitutes/

Sources are easy to find on Google; quality sources require a little more research. Honey (natural as it claims to be) is still sugar.
  • menotyou56
    Options

Seeing how the question was which is better and it is in the weight loss section, I would say pointing out that neither is "better", but that sweeteners can keep calories down has everything to do with the thread. When the OP said she needed something for in her tea and your response is "sugar is bad; avoid it", how is that helpful at all?

Because IMO drinking calories from sugary drinks is not very conducive for weight loss IMO.

I did not realize that was a controversial subject on a weight loss site but my asked for opinion stands regardless.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid sweeteners. Most absolutely kill my stomach for some reason. Of course, that's a very personal reason.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Erm.... honey is sugar and last I checked, at least around these parts, sugar (the granulated white stuff sold as sugar in convenient 1kg packages) is simply pulp from sugar beets. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a natural product too....

Also, what health issues exactly are you talking about?

EDIT: for clarity's sake

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners?amp

As I said..it may...not will.. I am not an expert, but I try to stay informed

If you really want to stay informed then you might want to check into actual scientific evidence and studies instead of woo sites that are trying to peddle an agenda.

Also, all of the the results from both of the articles that you have cited above are based on correlation and have no direct links to causation - that's a big difference in the real world.

As to your other point on sugar not making you store fat - the only thing that matters when it comes to fat storage if the total amount of calories that are consumed in a given time period. Anything eaten to excess (i.e. more calories than your body uses during that same time period) can and will cause weight gain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

If we are talking taste, artificial sweetener is horrible, IMO (except in the occasional diet soda, including Zevia).

If I were in the habit of adding sugar (or honey, as it's also sugar) to things, and were concerned about the calories, I'd probably try to reduce the amount added, which might also have the effect of changing my palate somewhat.

But if you enjoy artificial sweetener, that's totally fine too -- people have different tastes. But to use your own preferences as a basis to slam what others do, and suggest that adding 15 calories of sugar, for example, to some tea (as that's what a tsp is), makes no sense to me. A tsp, or even a tbsp, does no harm.

But then I live wildly and eat fruit, so...

Because IMO drinking calories from sugary drinks is not very conducive for weight loss IMO.

I did not realize that was a controversial subject on a weight loss site but my asked for opinion stands regardless.

It depends on how much you drink. Again, a tsp of sugar in tea is going to make no difference. Making room for 45 calories (a tbsp), even, could be easily fit in if you wanted to (I don't, unless I have a sore throat and want honey).

I think cutting down on calories from drinks in general can be a really helpful thing for an individual losing weight and encourage it (although extending this to "sugary drinks are bad, so even a tsp must be avoided as HORRIBLE" (your word) is taking it too far, IMO.

Weirdly enough, I can't really stand any sweet drinks lately at all, so this is not for my own benefit.
  • menotyou56
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If we are talking taste, artificial sweetener is horrible, IMO (except in the occasional diet soda, including Zevia).

If I were in the habit of adding sugar (or honey, as it's also sugar) to things, and were concerned about the calories, I'd probably try to reduce the amount added, which might also have the effect of changing my palate somewhat.

But if you enjoy artificial sweetener, that's totally fine too -- people have different tastes. But to use your own preferences as a basis to slam what others do, and suggest that adding 15 calories of sugar, for example, to some tea (as that's what a tsp is), makes no sense to me. A tsp, or even a tbsp, does no harm.

It depends on how much you drink. Again, a tsp of sugar in tea is going to make no difference. Making room for 45 calories (a tbsp), even, could be easily fit in if you wanted to (I don't, unless I have a sore throat and want honey).

I think cutting down on calories from drinks in general can be a really helpful thing for an individual losing weight and encourage it (although extending this to "sugary drinks are bad, so even a tsp must be avoided as HORRIBLE" (your word) is taking it too far, IMO.

Weirdly enough, I can't really stand any sweet drinks lately at all, so this is not for my own benefit.

The thing is, we are all different.

To some a teaspoon of sugar is nothing. To me, a type 2 diabetic that needs to lose 120 pounds or face terrible medical consequences, its a very bad choice.

I just hate it though when I am asked for my opinion and give it, then I get beaten up by other board members because they don't like my WOE, which BTW is working great for me.

It's ridiculous and childish IMO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The thing is, we are all different.

To some a teaspoon of sugar is nothing. To me, a type 2 diabetic that needs to lose 120 pounds or face terrible medical consequences, its a very bad choice.

Oh, I'll totally agree with this. My only objection is to characterizing it as if it were an inherent thing (it is horrible) vs. a personal thing, which was the point I was making when I said to my taste artificial sweetener would be horrible.
    I just hate it though when I am asked for my opinion and give it, then I get beaten up by other board members because they don't like my WOE, which BTW is working great for me.

It's ridiculous and childish IMO.

But of course that's not what's happening. I have nothing against you being keto. I'm low carb myself, although currently not so low carb that I don't eat fruit. But you weren't saying "for me this would be a bad choice" but asserting that sugar was horrible, period.

(Some T2D do include added sugar in their diets, balanced with other foods -- not much different than if I made a roasted turkey leg with a cranberry sauce and brussels sprouts. I normally use orange juice to sweeten the cranberries (which is a kind of added sugar, really), but if someone preferred to use a little sugar, same thing. My point here is not that you should do this, but again that sugar is not inherently HORRIBLE.)

Do you see the point? -- I'm not saying anything about what you should do or criticizing your personal choices, but commenting on you seeming to judge what others do.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Which is better?? I know neither but I need something in my tea!!!

Sugar perhaps. Sweetener is artificial.

The only thing I put in my tea is milk.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options

3. Honey is sugar

Please just stop

Hahahaha ok... soooo

IRT the bold, that is not how sugar works and not how your body works. Sugar does not tend to convert to fat as shown in DNL studies (~30% or lower). It converts to glycogen, gets used as energy immediately and if then may convert to fat. In fact, fat is more likely to get converted since it's lipid.

There are a lot of things that are natural but not always good for you...arsenic, mercury, and too much potassium/magnesium. Artificial sweeteners are comprised of two natural occurring amino acids.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Which is better?? I know neither but I need something in my tea!!!

Sugar perhaps. Sweetener is artificial.

The only thing I put in my tea is milk.

Artificiality, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing. Some artificial things are good, some are bad. Some natural things are good, some are bad. Avoiding something just because it is artificial doesn't seem like a rational decision.