Budget Protein-rich meals

Options
I have just started going to the gym and I did some research on nutrition and found out that I'm supposed to intake 0.7g-0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight. The part I'm struggling at is that I'm not allowed to cook anything (currently renting a room) and that I have a low budget. I'm currently having 2 whey protein shakes a day, some Greek yogurt, canned tuna with wholemeal bread. Having a fast metabolism means that all these protein I consume is not going towards repairing my muscle. So I'm looking for some easy-to-make recipes that I could make without spending a lot or cooking.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're getting sufficient protein, fill the rest of your calories with fats and carbs.

Do you have a microwave? Or is everything cold?

PB sandwiches, salads (perhaps with canned beans/chickpeas), overnight soaked oats with protein powder and fruit/nuts, rice
  • rexdaltonmc
    rexdaltonmc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What kind of salad can I make, is fruit salads a thing?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    What kind of salad can I make, is fruit salads a thing?

I was thinking vegetables - tomatoes, Peppers, cucumbers, carrot, celery, avocado, lettuce, cabbage, salad onions... Anything you can eat raw! Add your tuna, or chicken/ham etc for protein...

Fruit salad is a thing... Chopped up fruit!
  • rexdaltonmc
    rexdaltonmc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks a lot dude, is it true that avocado is a source of healthy fats?
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The best way to get protein is by eating good. The supplement route cost a lot more and isn't as affective as real food. Tuna fish is cheap boil some eggs toss in with it with so mayo or I use mustard because less fat/calories. Boiled eggs for breakfast. peatnutt butter fish or chicken tilapia is not good for you so a other fish besides that
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You can boil eggs in a kettle if you're allowed to have one, which is a good and cheap source of protein and healthy fats. Instructions are here, I do mine this way even though I have a kitchen.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    do you have a microwave? what kind of access to kitchen supplies to you have?
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I like eggs and milk for cheap protein sources- assuming you aren't lactose intolerant or vegan >.<

Means I make a lot of egg-based dishes when I need more protein (beyond what you have mentioned). Fried, scrambled, hard-boiled- but my favorite is quiche/frittata (throw a bunch of veggies and eggs together with a little milk, toss in oven).

I also drink milk after workouts as well (or coffee with milk) to add protein.

ETA: oops, sorry about the lack of cooking- ignore my oven comment then :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to use an instant pot or a microwave? That would really open up a lot of options.

In the absence of that... peanut butter or other nut butters for sandwiches. Nuts and seeds for snacks. Canned beans (rinse well to reduce sodium content).

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend or family member nearby that would let you use their oven once a week to hard boil eggs, or cook up some chicken (or meat of your choice) to shred up and toss into salads, a sandwich, etc?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What's this about your "fast metabolism" preventing protein from working in you like it does everyone else?
  • chris_james17
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    What's this about your "fast metabolism" preventing protein from working in you like it does everyone else?

There are some people who have a hard time gaining mass. I got a buddy of mine who eats twice to three times what I do in a day and is the size of a bean pole. Then there's me who had the work out constantly to keep mine from turning to fat
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

There are some people who have a hard time gaining mass. I got a buddy of mine who eats twice to three times what I do in a day and is the size of a bean pole. Then there's me who had the work out constantly to keep mine from turning to fat

But to gain mass you just need excess calories not protein...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Not a dude, but never mind.

Avocado is a good fat source, yes. If you aren't gaining and need to eat more, you just need more calories in general. Not protein specifically. Fats are calorie dense and an easy way to increase calories without a lot of volume.
  • chris_james17
    Options

Avocado is a good fat source, yes. If you aren't gaining and need to eat more, you just need more calories in general. Not protein specifically. Fats are calorie dense and an easy way to increase calories without a lot of volume.

Notice I didn't limit my post to protein. I said my buddy ate 2-3 times what I did and his mass never changed
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Notice I didn't limit my post to protein. I said my buddy ate 2-3 times what I did and his mass never changed

But your post was in a reply to asking why a fast metabolism would make protein work differently in the OP compared to other people...
  • chris_james17
    Options

But your post was in a reply to asking why a fast metabolism would make protein work differently in the OP compared to other people...

Because protein is pushed as a mass builder. Just like extra calories. Not every body type respone the same way.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do question if extra protein will help you gain muscle mass, but we all pick our poison ;)

I'd suggest you pick up good value protein bars and shakes. They are portable and no clean-up required.
    I'm a big fan of Premier Protein bars from Costco, each bar is 30g of protein and the price is low.