Newbie runners

Options
How many times a week do you run? I printed off a training sheet at runnersworld.com and it says for me to run 3x a week. But i feel like i could do 4. I just curious what everyone else does. I don't want to overdue anything.

Replies

• skinnyminimoni
    Options
    If you're just starting, you should probably stick with 3x a week. You don't want to hurt yourself!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Go three times a week for a bit. Running is rough on your joints and muscles. Your body needs plenty of rest days to get used to the pounding. After you've been running for a bit, then see about adding a day in.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? I've been running for over a decade. I'd say frequency depends on the length and intensity of the runs you are doing as a newbie! Congrats on starting to run! I would suggest sticking with the plan from runnersworld that you said was 3 days a week, you don't want to get burnt out or worse hurt. Add in some walking or elliptical or bike to get more cardio if you're feeling like you've still got energy left. The rule of thumb is to add no more than 10% distance each week when starting out running, so slowly build up by adding 10% more each week. GOOD LUCK!
  • kschultz67
    kschultz67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The couch25k run program is very good.
  • run4life21
    run4life21 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can run every second day. you should have 1 rest day in between runs.
  • mfwaineo
    mfwaineo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    3x per week is good for starting. If you want to work out more you should probably switch to a different type of cardio that isn't as tough on your legs. After you're used to 3x, then it wouldn't hurt to add another day.
  • lanie25
    lanie25 Posts: 42
    Options
    Be sure you are doing some strength training as well!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    When I first started running a year ago, I just did 3 times a week. In between my days off I would do strength training or another form of cardio. I liked the break in between. I felt like my body definitely needed rest days from running!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    ok thanks. i'm only going 2 miles (walk/run)at a time now and hopefully further in the future. i'll stick with 3x a week for now and add another type of workout in.
  • Klw43
    Klw43 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've started a run/walk program 3 -4 days a week. I set the treadmill to a 5K course and it takes me about 45min to complete. I'm hoping over time to decrease my time.

3min walk
    2 min run
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 (as a guy who run 6-7 days a week).

I remember once reading the following advice for newbies:

1) run slower than you think you should
    2) run shorter distances than you think you should
    3) run more days than you think you should

Most important is to listen to your body. If you feel great, go ahead and run another day. If you feel too tired/trashed then add an extra rest/x-training day.

Happy running!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner (waddler) and I probably run an average of 5 days a week. (Sometimes more, sometimes less.)
    Some days I might only jog 10 minutes and walk the rest. Sometimes I switch on and off between jogging and walking. Sometimes I can keep a slow steady jog for long intervals.
    I try to do a 5k each time whether its jogging, waddling, walking, or dang-it-sometimes-crawling!

I really like arc918's advice.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    thanks