Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you do..Do you track those calories?
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I personally don't, unless it is a holiday or something. I try to stay on track everyday. Cheat days for some may result in "falling off the wagon," or even binge eating. I usually feel physically ill after I eat too many unhealthy foods like on a holiday or special occassion. So, I allow myself treats throughout the week. That way I don't feel deprived, and I can maintain my healthy lifestyle.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I do, I believe that it is necessary to have a cheat day in order to loose weight. I have one, either Saturday or Sunday and eat what I want. I do keep track of what I eat though, just to stay in the habit no matter what.
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I personally don't have a "cheat" day. When I first started my weight loss journey, it was a diet, but now it is just the way I eat now. To me, to have worked so hard all week, then blow it in one day does not seem like good thoughts. Instead, if ANY day, I feel like having something out of my normal eating habits, it will be a bite or two of this, or a bite or two of that. Not a meal or two on a "cheat" day. This is what makes sense to me. :flowerforyou:

109912.png
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i don't have one day set aside to eat anything i want. but every once in a while, (weekends usually), i let myself go over around 200 calories or so, usually for a food that i have really been wanting.

before, when i had cheat days, it resulted in me falling off the wagon completely. if you do decide to have a cheat day, then i would definitely recommend still recording calories. you need to be held accountable for what you're putting in your body. besides, once you see the numbers, some things just won't be worth it anymore (at least for me)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont have a cheat day ..I basically eat what I want but I excercise,drink water accordingly and only eat a measured serving of the food of choice. I also account for it in calories.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Only by default. Like if I go somewhere and don't have access to my usual foods. Or if it's my TOM and I lose all self-control. :laugh: But usually, no. Any cheating spells disaster for me because I don't have a stop mechanism. I eat "junk" and I want to keep eating it until I'm sick. :sick: :huh:
  • JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    I have a "reward meal" (cheat days is way too much for me) and it has worked for me so far. I get it out of my system and get back on track the next day. And, no, I don't track the calories for my reward meal.
  • headwaiter
    headwaiter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to do a cheat day the last time I lost weight, but I gave them up as I found that they were very counterproductive to my overall goal. I can cook, so I have found ways around cheating by jazzing up my food and going with like things that are more healthy.
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    great question! I was wondering about this too!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    All out cheat day? No.

I just don't like the way I feel when I eat those "cheat day foods".

However, if I want some ice cream, I just try to plan for it. Or if I am traveling and am eating out quite often, I just try to make good choices from the menu.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have a "cheat" day. When I first started my weight loss journey, it was a diet, but now it is just the way I eat now. To me, to have worked so hard all week, then blow it in one day does not seem like good thoughts. Instead, if ANY day, I feel like having something out of my normal eating habits, it will be a bite or two of this, or a bite or two of that. Not a meal or two on a "cheat" day. This is what makes sense to me. :flowerforyou:

109912.png

Ditto! I dont bust my hump 5 days a week at the gym to indulge every week. I dont deprive my self of treats, I just watch more of HOW MUCH of each treat I treat myself too. Its all in moderation. Best to develope those habits from the beginning :happy: Also, I log EVERYTHING i put into my body so that if i ever do hit a plateau I can look back and see what i was doing. It also helps me make better daily choices when I dont have things planned out the day before.
  • rosered51
    Options
    No...and I don't like the word "Cheat" the only person being harmed is yourself. I do however eat what I want on a daily basis...I just make better choices. I am also BRUTALLY honest about everything I put in my mouth. If you don't track what you are eating and then you don't lose weight or you actually gain...you will look back at your food journal and wonder WHY??? That may result in you giving up all together. If I had a whole day to "Cheat" I could really consume more calories than I am allotted for the week. Obviously I love food or I would not be obese. So for me, small rewards that I account for in my calories, that's what works. Also, working out gives you extra calories and who the heck wants to do all that work in the gym, or walking, or whatever your exercise of choice is only to be so counterproductive one day a week?

Ultimately it is your choice, your body, you are only accountable to you. Good luck!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I do more of a "cheat meal". And it's usually Friday or Saturday nights over cocktails and pub food! :laugh:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i do it about once a month,,, normaly for a holiday or something of the sort...
    that day was today !!!
    we were out allll day and couldnt really do anything about what i was eating .. so i just enjoyed it
    with going overboard..

sometimes its good to shock your body a bit .. keep it guessing .. and 1 day or meal once in a while wont throw you off that much .. just has long as your aware of what your putting in your mouth !
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i'm having one now. :sad:
    trying to track my cals but i cant.
    how can i put a # on my eating of nachos (unmeasured amount) for an hour?

i doubt i'll eat a gal of ice cream today, but i think i'll let myself go unmeasured for the rest of the day.

i hate myself sometimes.:mad:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    i'm having one now. :sad:
    trying to track my cals but i cant.
    how can i put a # on my eating of nachos (unmeasured amount) for an hour?

i doubt i'll eat a gal of ice cream today, but i think i'll let myself go unmeasured for the rest of the day.

i hate myself sometimes.:mad:

Ok, so you had a little moment of weakness and overate on nachos. I would say dont worry about journaling it to the calorie, just put it in your food notes for the day. That way its in there as a note. When i need to look back, i want a true record of what i ate and sometimes I dont have time to sit down with the recipie information to figure out how many cals a serving is. If you make a note though that you ate it and how you felt afterwards it will help! We all have our weak moments, dont beat yourself up too hard. Do a you-turn and get back on track tomorrow to make better food choices. We are all gonna fall off the "lifestyle" bike once in a while, the important thing is to dust yourself off and get back on it again as soon as possible. Besides, its no fun to be deprived!
  • MsLadybug
    Options
    I don't have a designated cheat day. For me, it feels too much like playing the cheat the scale game (where you have something naughty after you get weighed) from when I was younger and first tried to lose weight. I think that is a really unhealthy attitude and something I am trying to break in myself.

That is not to say that I am perfect all the time. If there is something I want that I know isn't going to be healthy I try to eat lightly the rest of the day to reserve more calories for it and try to do some exercise to have more calories to eat. I also have days, like the weekend, where I get to do a lot more exercise, and on these days I get to eat higher calorie things than i normally do - so a treat without a cheat. lol
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I have done this both ways... with "cheat" days and without.
    I have found more success loosening up the reigns a little....eating what I want most days.... on rare occasion a indulgent meal....but cleaning up most of the food choices I make (lean more towards clean and less processed).

I have tracked calories and haven't... I feel more in control when I hold myself responsible for the calories I am taking in... whether I am going over or not.