Women: Vegan, Athletic and 50+

Would love to connect with other women who are vegan, athletic and 50+ to talk about nutrition, favorite recipes, and what you do nutritionally to deal with those fun things that plague us these days. I was an active runner and triathlete in my 30s and 40s and am currently training for the Maui Marathon in October as a 50th birthday gift to myself. This is after two years of injuries/recovery/insurmountable stress at work. Looking to lose the 30+ lbs I put on in the last 3 years.

Replies

• healinghearts
    healinghearts Posts: 6 Member
    Hi I'm vegetarian, try to be vegan. I'm 51 ,but not athletic. I like walking and body balance.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    I'm not the right gender but I just turned 60 in January and completed my first 70.3 Ironman last month. Was able to drop 25-30 pounds in 3 months. Went from an omnivore to mostly vegan, lots and lots of salads, roasted vegetables, and morning whey protein shakes. Virtually no meat. Can't speak to the unique female issues but on that diet I had no issues with energy and sustaining a pretty intense training regimen. There's a really good book called Fast After 50 by Joe Friel that covers the latest science around older athlete performance and I think he covers some female topics as well (didn't pay much attention to those parts) so it might be a good resource for you. Good luck!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    I'm vegan and athletic ( though I currently have a knee injury) but I'm only 24. We can be friends anyway though! I'd like that
  • DiannaOnMaui
    DiannaOnMaui Posts: 27 Member
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    ... There's a really good book called Fast After 50 by Joe Friel that covers the latest science around older athlete performance and I think he covers some female topics as well (didn't pay much attention to those parts) so it might be a good resource for you. Good luck!

Thanks for posting! I saw that book and was wondering about it.

Doesn't look like there's many vegans on MFP...but I'm sure I'll find some things useful!
  • kimrunsonplants
    kimrunsonplants Posts: 4 Member
    Vegan, late 40s and training towards my first Ironman to celebrate my 50th :)