I just cant stop guys.... Pepsi Max.

Options
I love Pepsi so much, the super sugary goodness. So, I found Pepsi Max, no cals, no fat, nothing. However, I am pretty sure diet sodas dont help too much. Someone tell me its at least a tiny bit better! I really want to find a way to justify this :P

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with Coke zero. I have stopped drinking pop in the past however am having a hard time doing it again.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Well...it's zero calories..... (the good news)

The bad news - Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are NOT helpful for losing weight, and can throw off your metabolism.... Drink wisely (and still try to cut back as much as possible) if you want to max your gains from your hard work.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Lots of people will tell you that you should cut out all soda. Some people will tell you that diet is at least better than non-diet.

Me personally, I limit myself to 1 diet soda per day (the rest of the day is water or hot green tea. My reason for the 1 soda? It helps me not reach for the chips, cookies, candy in the evening.

To each their own, I guess...

But, hey! Congratualtions on making the switch!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    went from sugar sodas to diet pop and then i just ran out of pop so i dont have any in my house and i dont even miss it. I still drink it if I am out instead of real pop though.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Personally, I drink REGULAR soda when i do have it.. I have read up on artificial sweeteners vs sugar and sugar metabolizes faster than aspartame and you can burn it off much easier.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well...it's zero calories..... (the good news)

The bad news - Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are NOT helpful for losing weight, and can throw off your metabolism.... Drink wisely (and still try to cut back as much as possible) if you want to max your gains from your hard work.

I agree with rider.. plus after drinking water for 7 weeks I can't drink soda anymore.. It's just too sweet for me. :noway:
  • PinkiG35
    PinkiG35 Posts: 16
    Options
    I would rather have the real soda.... in moderation.

I used to drink crystal light all the time.... no sugar = good right?? wrong. I switched to Vitasplash and noticed that I was losing weight faster as it doesnt have the aspartime crap in it.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    From what you said I think you already know it just isn't better.

The only decent use for diet sodas is as a stepping stone to wean off sodas altogether.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options

I used to drink crystal light all the time.... no sugar = good right?? wrong. I switched to Vitasplash and noticed that I was losing weight faster as it doesnt have the aspartime crap in it.

Where do you get the vitasplash and how many calories does it have?? I use crystal light all the time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said based on the most recent research, there's nothing wrong with diet sodas, and that it's a personal choice, if you want to drink regular soda, just plan it out and make sure you spare the calories for it. Otherwise, diet is just fine. *shrug*
  • PinkiG35
    PinkiG35 Posts: 16
    Options

Where do you get the vitasplash and how many calories does it have?? I use crystal light all the time.
    I have had to find it on ebay as it is now discontinued. They have different ones for different things... I think the fiber infused one tastes the best but they have one for joints etc... It has 20 per serving but I usually put it in a 32 oz water bottle as a 16 oz serving is too strong of a taste for me
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love Coke and Cherry Coke---it is so hard to stay away from soda!!!! I don't know if diet is any better---it seems like it would be, though.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Diet soda isn't "bad." In a weight-loss context, it's certainly better than sugared soda, the calories for which can certainly be budgeted, but seem like the textbook example of empty calories -- the ones you spend and don't get anything nutritionally good out of the deal. Plain old water is, of course, the best, and is available everywhere for free, right out of any tap.

I used to drink Diet Pepsi in hellacious quantities. Now, I've made friends with water, which is my default beverage. Still, if I'm eating out with people, I'll get a diet soda if I feel like it -- it's a treat. Or, sometimes, a beer ... which brings us right back to the empty calories that have to be budgeted. Nuttin's perfect.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee a lot, but never had the problems I had when I drank mass quantities of Pepsi Max. I love that stuff, better than regular Pepsi. Problem is the combination of the caffeine and ginseng that's in it (I think) made my chest start to hurt when I drank more than 4 cans or small bottles.

I only have them on occasion now, and instead bought a bunch of those 99 cent boxes of flavor packets (crystal light generics) that have 0-5 calories and add them to my water. Oh, and now I drink unsweet tea. Tasted horrible but eventually got used to it.