21 Day Fix

Options
Hi. I am debating on buying the 21 Day Fix. Has any one here had good results with it? If i do buy it i will not be doing shakeology with it. Is the program worth it?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you like the workouts.....sure.

The containers and diet plan (while well rounded) can be you over eating or under eating depending upon your food choices. This comes from people who have logged their containers here.

The containers are a rip-off of the old Weight Watchers Exchanges program, but much less flexible. You end up keeping a sheet for 1/4 and 1/2 containers. You can get measurements and lists on Pinterest if you want to test drive your own (dollar store) containers.

Here's a link to the 21 DF group to give you some more info
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of the programs and I personally love them! I don't follow any of the eating plans or drink Shakeology.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The workouts are great. I did my own version of the containers and had some pretty good success in terms of resetting my eating habits, paying attention to whole foods, etc. I would pre-prepare all of my meals and store them in mason jars in the fridge and it really helped me stay on track.

I lost about 10 lbs doing it and kept it off, but then I got a little lax about my measuring and stopped losing. Started logging with MFP again and bought a kitchen scale and have had much better success. On my good days I do eat about the same as I did on the fix, I just measure it all now and increased my grain servings by a bit.

If you want to give the eating plan a test drive there are a ton of resources on pinterest (of all places).
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The workouts were a bit much for me and my containers didn't give me enough calories when I punched it into MFP.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think the portion control part is pretty nice I was feeling a bit cheap, so I ended up looking for the container information online and made my own dup containers years ago. I did lose weigh when I tried it, and I was properly nourishing myself. I was getting in more veggies, fruits, carbs into my diet. I did see container dups on amazon if you wanted to copy that.
    I think if you're someone who may not want to calorie count, and would rather have food in smaller portions instead this will be good for you. Also if you want make sure you're getting more food variety into your diet this will be good for you.

Once I'm on a plateau I plan on incorporating the containers portion again.

I'm not like a coach for beach body or even a fitness expert just speaking from personal experience.

I didn't follow the workout when I was doing it, so I didn't deduct the workout burn calories, so I was able to eat more.
  • amks3818
    amks3818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love the workouts. I only used the containers for portion control but still weighed all my food. I lost about 45 lbs before getting pregnant with my son. Hoping to find time to get back to doing the workouts soon.
  • TRC64
    TRC64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely worth it (the workouts are wonderful) but you do have to stick with it to see optimum results. It's not magic. However, I found using the containers far easier than counting calories or Weight Watchers (both of which I have done in the not-so-recent past, and both of which I stopped doing). As I'm fixing my meal, I just measure everything into my containers, then replate. No logging in to count calories, points, etc. You do need to plan a little bit, but you have to plan no matter what weight loss program you're doing. I generally start with dinner and my Shakeology, and then after checking off those containers fill in the rest of the day.

Using the containers also helps you create a well-rounded diet, where no food group is demonized.

You can order just the containers online (I ordered a second set from Amazon), and while they are identical in size to my 21 Day Fix containers, the little insert they came with doesn't have nearly the info/food choices as the 21 Day Fix eating plan booklet. For example, you can have wine and treats a few times a week, and there's also "free" foods (like a certain amount of sugar in your coffee). It also gives you info on eating out, sample meal plans, recipes, etc.

My daughter and daughter-in-law have young children, and they both used the 21 Day Fix to lose baby weight, and also to be able to workout at home. My daughter-in-law has the upgraded online All Access pass (so do I) so she also does the Autumn Calabrese maternity workouts (she's currently pregnant again). Obviously, we're fans. ;)

And no, I'm not a coach and no one in my family is. I use the Shakeology, my daughter and daughter-in-law don't.

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I bought the containers on Amazon (they now have a cheap knockoff of the containers for half the price.) I did not use Shakeology because of the price, and instead used Optimum Whey which is actually higher in protein and costs less. I think it's a good eating plan, the right calorie count, and something you can probably stick to not indefinitely, but for at least 6 months. I thought it was very doable but recently switched to WW because that allows more flexibility and I no longer have much I want to lose.
  • TRC64
    TRC64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that there's always a lot of focus on the container system when the 21 day fix comes up, probably because this is a calorie counting forum. However, the program is more than the eating. It's about making exercise a regular part of your life; about focusing on inches lost or how you're feeling instead of just weight loss; about keeping on and not quitting, even when it's hard.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It works through CICO, just like MFP, but via brightly colored containers instead of weighing and tracking calories. It can be worth it if it helps improve your eating habits and relationship with food. If it makes you inadvertently over- or undereat, or restrict food choices, it's a bad idea. You are the best judge of that. At any rate, don't waste money on shakes. You can also find the food plans online and google container sizes and then buy cheap containers.
  • xmusic_lover211
    xmusic_lover211 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love the workouts! The workouts in my opinion are definitely worth it. I've been using the workouts consistently for a few months and am seeing results. I would be seeing better results if I was eating better, but that is my issue to work through. The workouts are great. I do not feel like the shakes or the containers are necessary. They can help, but are not necessary. If you're able, consider Beachbody on Demand... you can get all the Beachbody programs (including 21 day fix) plus all of the extra meal plans and workout plans and stuff that comes with the DVDs but you stream them like Netflix and it's 99/year. I do that instead of a gym membership and it's helped me a lot.
  • crybaby2384
    crybaby2384 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I am still debating. I have been trying to do better with tracking all of my calories on MFP. I am still highly interested in the 21 day fix but i think the containers may be a little hard to do when i have to fix dinner for every in my family. I don't want to be stuck making 2 completely separate meals every meal. I am not sure. It might be easier than i think.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All you need to do to lose weight is to consistently eat less. Any method you use that makes you eat less, and keep doing it, works. Eating less isn't extra work, it is less work, as it's about not doing something. Eating less and eating well at the same time takes some effort/attention, but it doesn't have to be more work. And the less work it feels like, the easier to stick to, and the more likely you'll be to not go back to old habits (or on an outright binge) when you reach goal weight. You'll have to find a "new normal" in order to keep the weight off. It's a good idea to start eating like a "normal" person as soon as possible. Normal eating has gone out of fashion (and we are obsessed with food, nutrition, health and weight instead). But you can google "The No S Diet" which is a funny name for a normal eating pattern - 3 meals a day, no snacking, no sweets, no seconds, except for days beginning with S, and "special" days.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hi op,
    Any updates?