digital camera- any suggestions?

Options
My Canon powershot has taken a beating over 6 1/2 years. What camera would you recommend for me? I want to be able to take pictures of my son playing sports indoors and out. and I love still shots.
looking for nothing more than $200 if possible.

thanks

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Canon is still the way to go, it's the BEST camera I've ever owned. My sister and I have done Kodak, Sony, and others in the past, and they were never as good as our others, and they didn't last as long either. I got my Canon, can't remember the model, for 199 and it's the best purchase I've ever made.
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    I have a kodak 26x and I absolutely love it. It was around $150-$200 and has a ton of settings for any occasion.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm still using my Kodak 1megapixel camera that appears to take better shots than some "off-brand" cameras with 3 to 5 Megapixels... I'll be watching for the 12MP version to go on sale for $85 or so again by November. I know I want it so the money's set aside to take advantage of the sale the next time it pops up.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Visit dpreview.com and look at user reviews from people whom have purchased and used the cameras in your price range.

I have several in different price ranges, from point and shoot to SLR cameras and lenses.

But, before I buy ANY camera I am interested in I look at reviews from REAL people whom have bought and used them. Not people who have been sent them to use and review, but people whom paid out of pocket for the product.

Personally, I am a fan of Nikon. But I have found that Cannon fans are loyal to Cannon, and Nikon to Nikon. Fuji also makes good mid range point and shoot cameras.

Any specific models you get suggested to you, do the research and read reviews...those will help you far more than anything else.

Sarah
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I paid $220. for my Kodak Easyshare Z981. It has 26x zoom lens on it & it zooms well. It is also a 14 megapixel. Very nice camera.
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    One note on "zoom". Make sure that, if zoom matters to you, you choose a camera with OPTICAL zoom, NOT DIGITAL zoom.

Your resolution will hold up with optical, but with digital it will get grainy as you enlarge images.

Sarah
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like both Canon and Nikon lol

It depends on what you are looking for, I use SLR typically, but also keep a point and shoot on hand because it's easy to pocket carry.

Canon sx210 is nice for that. Or for super zoom the sx30i
    Nikon has the s8100 ot the L120 which are pretty good.

If you want a good DSLR then you will be spending more money, but the entry level Canons and Nikons are actually pretty good, and can be had for 400 to a little over 500, and there is also the Sony a390 which is a better camera than it's given credit for.

Remember, there is more to consider than just the megapixels
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    I actually want one of the new Fuji waterproof rugged point and shoot cameras lol!

Sarah
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Beccky, I'm still using my Kodak and received a Canon powerShot for Christmas. SD1200 IS. It's highly rated and takes nice pictures. I mean relly nice pictures! It just takes me a long time to learn about these. I don't mind saying that I still miss my 35mm SLR.
    Good luck!
    katey
  • Brent_Arthur
    Options
    What kind of sports does you son play? If he is "out in the field" a longer telephoto can come in handy (but can also slow down focusing and can blur more easily than a "shorter" lens).

Olympus makes a 12.5x optical zoom (VR-320 for $199), Fuji makes the FinePix S2950 that is around $230 for an 18x optical zoom. Both have dual image stabilization modes.

Going with Canon or Nikon you'll get a good camera, but you'll pay more for fewer features. The "secondary" manufacturers (Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, etc.) all make very good cameras too. Kodak and Sony both make excellent cameras too, however both tend to be rather proprietary with the batteries and software, also technical support can be a bit more time consuming.

I have been a photographer for 37 years, and owned a camera store and photo lab for the last 20.
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Canon A3300, they retail at about 180 ish. I have the Canon 1400is and it's amazing. I've used the 7D and 60D and for a quick excellent camera I would highly recommend this one :) Good luck!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+A3300+IS+16.0-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Pink/2419071.p?id=1218326063906&skuId=2419071&st=canon 1400is&cp=1&lp=6
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    wow! Thanks for all the great responses. my problem witht my Canon now is that it sucks battery life fast. I really loved it though. i will do some research on the websites that you all provided.
    thanks again,
    and I will take any more advice out there.