Searching for all you Apple shaped women!!

Options
2»

Replies

• KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Beneath all the fat, I'm a thick stick with boobs. The "hips" I have are just fat. The first places it comes off are my thighs and back. The last place it comes off is the roll at my "waist".

Since fat makes for a horrible waist, I am also a destroyer of belts. Recently lost more inches at my waist (yeah!), but relied on a belt to keep pants from sliding down and nearly broke through it this week.

I accept these things about myself and only buy belts on sale or discount stores. Now if only my boobs were department store sized rather than European speciality sized -- expensive to shrink out of $100 plus bras in six weeks. Needless to say, I currently own only three bras that sort of half fit, and I do a lot of handwashing.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Totally an apple here. I completely agree with scolaris. No special apple diet required, just lose weight and it will eventually come off your gut. Same way you heare pear shape people complaining that their face has gone thin or their boobs have vaanished but their hips are still wide.

My personal experience with PCOS and an apple shape is that whilst I like the sentiment/enthusiasm, most of what Cbefitforlife suggests as essential has been of no relevance to me. I can eat what I like and exercise however I like and my tummy still gets smaller provided I am eating at a calorie deficit.

Whilst abdominal strength is important to work on for posture and back support, if you do a million ab exercises a day and don't lose fat, you potentially bulk up your abs, making your tummy stick out more, not less!!! Spot exercises do not reduce fat in a particular area.
  • C_Erased
    C_Erased Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Most Apple shaped women started life as a rectangle or ruler shape and lowering their overall body fat will send them back that direction. It's an athletic looking build and clothes drape well on it. There are plenty of models & actresses with that build to use as examples.
    At midlife, many women drift toward an apple shape due to metabolic concerns & hormone disruptions. Yes, these women would benefit from moderating carbs & eating with the glycemic index in mind. But in order to lose fat they must be in calorie deficit first and foremost. It's not realistic to think they can just exercise their apple problem away either! It starts with food & exercise just helps.
    Weight training can help 'balance' a body type but not fundamentally change it. I'm able to increase my hip measurement through weighted squats but that's measured in the round; nothing will ever give me the flared hips of an hourglass in a full frontal view because that's a skeletal feature. My shoulder bones will always be wider than my hip bones.
    So look beneath the apple at what build you will have at a lower body fat level & work to optimize that. Buy clothes that fit well & consider tailoring if you need it. There are all sorts of fashion tricks of the eye involving draping, hemlines, waist placement etc to balance out your shape. But the best is just lowering your overall body fat to become lean, supple & comfortable in your own skin!

This is the best post and makes so much sense. I am an apple shape and never heard of the terms "rectangle" or "ruler" but that is exactly what I was when I was at my lowest weight ten years ago. I had hardly any fat on me but my bust, waist, and hip measurements were all within an inch of each other. Now that I am a lot heavier (goal is to go from 140 to 120), my waist is where most of my fat is. It's so frustrating to find clothes when you are this shape (especially if you have the bonus of being short). I feel resentful sometimes when I see women that are a lot heavier than me but because they actually have a "shape," they look so much better. I just have to get over it. I will never have an hourglass shape but I can definitely get to a point where I feel better about myself.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Apple here. I've always had a bit of a belly, even as a kid. My sister always told me I was "hippy" but after years of being self-conscious about my hips, I finally realized she was wrong. ;) (I don't think I've ever really been a ruler though; I do have curves, but the belly is my trouble spot and the thing I have to always factor in when choosing clothes.

My dad always had the same build as I do; long, thin arms and legs but weight is disproportionately in the belly. It can be slow to come off. I'm planning to recomp at this point since I still have more belly fat than I'd like but if I keep losing past this point, I get too thin elsewhere.

Going low carb *for me* (YMMV, but this is not uncommon) does help reduce bloat and lead to the look of a flatter stomach but it's not really dealing with the actual belly fat any more than any other way of eating with the same deficit would.